Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 84610 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [11/28/2015 - 60% off until Dec 1st]
« Reply #495 on: November 30, 2015, 03:41:39 pm »

If this game is getting an expansion which has more content than its last update, I'll pick it up again. I felt that this game could really be up there with Stardrive 2 (which is a shit game in certain ways, but one of the best TBSS games out there).

+1 on the diplomacy - it's my favorite feature by far.
Never loved diplomacy in about any games, i always found them shallow and such, but this game NAILED how diplocay should exist in any game!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 30, 2015, 03:44:11 pm »

If this game is getting an expansion which has more content than its last update, I'll pick it up again.
Definitely more content than the last update - we wouldn't call something an expansion if we didn't feel like it lived up to the name 'expansion'.  New influence cards and diplomacy mechanics, a new galaxy-shape, a new game mode/map (e.g. the Expanse), new subsystems, new hulls, new ship mechanics, new races (which means of course new traits and portraits), new FTL methods, new planetary resources, new techs, potentially a new shipset, new things for planets to do, new models for orbitals... and that's on top of free improvements that apply to the base game (improved AI, improved shaders for ships, planets, asteroids, new/improved sound effects, an improved galaxy background, etc.).

Things are visibly improved between 1.0.3 and what we're working on.

We're still not quite done with it yet - so that's just what's in right now.

Hmm, do you think you guys will put the base game on sale again when the expansion is released?
Not sure.  I'll ask and get back to you on that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:03:17 pm by Firgof Umbra »

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 30, 2015, 07:03:35 pm »

Hmm, do you think you guys will put the base game on sale again when the expansion is released?
Yes, it'll be discounted.  Also, I'm thinking of running a giveaway around the same time with free copies of the game and its expansion.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 30, 2015, 08:25:58 pm »

Yes, it'll be discounted.  Also, I'm thinking of running a giveaway around the same time with free copies of the game and its expansion.
Awesome, thanks! I've been waiting for the expansion before getting back into it, and I'll probably pick up copies for my friends too.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 01, 2015, 06:23:45 am »

If this game is getting an expansion which has more content than its last update, I'll pick it up again. I felt that this game could really be up there with Stardrive 2 (which is a shit game in certain ways, but one of the best TBSS games out there).

+1 on the diplomacy - it's my favorite feature by far.
Never loved diplomacy in about any games, i always found them shallow and such, but this game NAILED how diplocay should exist in any game!

it really miss some in consequences about why one should abide the council. 'council decree we're annexing this system' should have  an 'how about no?' option with in game mechanics making it costly and dangerous but possible to break free.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 04, 2015, 04:44:16 pm »

Would it be possible to have a free weekend? I have a lot of friends who want to try it but don't want to fork the price without trying it first.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 10, 2015, 05:49:11 am »

Finally managed to get my hands on this, woo!

Hmm.  Computer cores aren't a support ship-compatible system are they?  I need muh dumb little attack drones n' probe ships and such.  I am also sad I can't just build like a trillion little drone-fighters armed with monster torpedoes and rush any target I want dead.  Oh well.

Also uh am I missing something?  I am unsure how to pull my budget out of the ~500k range.  Unless I'm reading something wrong, and most ships and Imperial buildings have upkeep in the 200-300k range, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to, like.  Have resource incomes that don't come entirely from budget subsidies.  I get the feeling that I shouldn't colonize anything and everything, but that's totally what I do.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #502 on: December 11, 2015, 05:20:46 am »

Yeah, colonizing blindly is the worst thing you can do for your money. Level 0 planets cost you something like 80k per cycle per planet and can quickly kill your income. Colonization costs a lot as well. You want to expand in waves.

Identify the planets you need to bring your homeworld up a level, colonize only those planets. Make the trade routes, wait for the population on the new planets to rise to the level they need for resource exploitation. Scout out new systems while you wait, build some asteroid bases. Just don't constantly colonize. You'll end up with no pops on your worlds and no money in your banks.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #503 on: December 13, 2015, 09:53:50 am »

Also worth mentioning, you should research economy-related tech, because there is a hard cap on how much money you can actually get per cycle.  :)
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 14, 2015, 06:16:10 pm »

Glooorious colonization though.  I must spread my billions throughout the stars!

I'll try out non-stupid Manifest Destiny colonization the next time I play, I guess.  I don't suppose there are any other tips I should know about?

I mean like, my first target is always the two Econ techs, for 150 extra space-grand a cycle.  After that I guess I usually try for shields, but uh... actually, are shields worth it at that low a level?  They use up like crazy amounts of power, and I can't seem to get their values very high... it's like, maybe 200-ish compared to the whole ship's 2k hp, and unless I'm blind, I don't see anything that gives me like, a recharge rate, or whatever.

I can't slap them onto my support ships either, and just have a wall of distracting fighter-bricks eating up shots for me or anything, either.  :c

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #505 on: December 14, 2015, 06:24:53 pm »

I don't normally use shields much until late game. The power requirements are high and the gains are low until you have pretty well gotten most of the shield technologies. By the time I have high tech shields I'm already flying around assault planets...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 15, 2015, 01:03:39 am »

Glooorious colonization though.  I must spread my billions throughout the stars!

I'll try out non-stupid Manifest Destiny colonization the next time I play, I guess.  I don't suppose there are any other tips I should know about?

I mean like, my first target is always the two Econ techs, for 150 extra space-grand a cycle.  After that I guess I usually try for shields, but uh... actually, are shields worth it at that low a level?  They use up like crazy amounts of power, and I can't seem to get their values very high... it's like, maybe 200-ish compared to the whole ship's 2k hp, and unless I'm blind, I don't see anything that gives me like, a recharge rate, or whatever.

I can't slap them onto my support ships either, and just have a wall of distracting fighter-bricks eating up shots for me or anything, either.  :c
Shields passively recharge at a rate dependent on their size (and the recharge techs). I don't find them remotely useful without antimatter generators due to the massive power cost. I do love shields, but I don't know if they are really worth it.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 04, 2016, 12:53:51 am »

How is the AI in Star Ruler 2? I loved and played a lot of Star Ruler 1 but ultimately stopped playing when I got pretty good at the game because the AI simply couldn't put up a good enough fight against experienced players. Is Star Ruler 2's AI capable of challenging, and more importantly defeating veterans? I'm trying to decide if I should buy it before the sale ends in 12 hours, I loved the game's customization, but wouldn't buy it if the AI isn't able to win, I can't enjoy these games if I can't lose.

I'm not blaming the devs for the AI, this seems to be a problem with nearly all RTS games and is why AI War is the only one I've been able to enjoy for any length of time.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [4/11/2016 - Stand by for Expansion]
« Reply #508 on: April 11, 2016, 07:40:47 pm »

Well howdy folks.  Been a while since I dropped by - just wanted to give y'all a heads up that we'll be announcing information about the expansion very soon.  Price, target launch date, the new features, and so on.  The veil of secrecy is about to start lifting and I'll finally be able to yammer about all the new stuff that'll be included.  I'm real happy to share what we've done with you guys - we're just waiting on Valve at the moment to approve the store page for the DLC.  Once that's up, I can finally talk about what's in the thing.

In the meantime, here's a free sample of what's to come:  http://i.imgur.com/jygXCnt.png

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [4/11/2016 - Stand by for Expansion]
« Reply #509 on: April 12, 2016, 04:03:07 am »

For those who already own the game, how will we get into the expansion?  Is it a ye-olde DLC style, or is it the whole new game platform unique from the base game?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 40