Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TERA: Rising  (Read 3731 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
TERA: Rising
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:13:39 pm »

Well, I had started a previous thread about TERA, but that was in reference to the pre-F2P version out in the wild now. 

So, yes, the game is free to play now, and I'm not in the best position to comment on the F2P experience, as I am classified as a "founder" in the game.  Just going off the website, if you sign up today:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
---

Why should you play?

---

Class features are roughly and briefly:

---

Race rough info:

---

As for myself, I'm on the RP server (Celestial Hills), and I've got a max (60) level Lancer (tank), and a Mystic (healer) in the mid 40s and rising.  And one of everything else in the 20s-ish. 

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TERA: Rising
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:20:31 pm »

i officially claim the spot of this board's cutest priest and warrior elin

by the way i have low-level crafted warrior swords for sale starting from lv10 so if you happen to need equipment for that class my bank is full of that shit for some reason and i promise not to apply the typical market prices

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 12:27:42 pm »

by the way i have low-level crafted warrior swords for sale starting from lv10 so if you happen to need equipment for that class my bank is full of that shit for some reason and i promise not to apply the typical market prices
I have neither a priest nor warrior Elin, so I'll let this slide. 

You may want to make note of which server you're on, though. 

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 12:30:20 pm »

I have neither a priest nor warrior Elin, so I'll let this slide. 

You may want to make note of which server you're on, though.

i may or may not be on arcadia

as i've noted in the rage thread i have no way of checking and never really needed to memorize that

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 08:04:08 pm »

Someone attempted to get me into this a while ago, but as with all MMOs you really need friends to enjoy it, I feel.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:07:00 pm »

I'll be getting a new computer in September at the earliest and Tera was one of the games I wanted to try, and if I can get a machine that is able to run Tera on a budget of $250 USD you might be able to count me in as a Sorcerer of some kind since I like DPS magi and/or glass cannons.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:56:15 am »

My buddy tried to get me into this. Came in expecting tactical and action-oriented combat, got ludicrous amounts of fetch quests :(
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 01:01:33 am »

My buddy tried to get me into this. Came in expecting tactical and action-oriented combat, got ludicrous amounts of fetch quests :(
I'll take fetch quests to Everquest any day. Anyone here know if there is some specific racial requirements for Sorcerer? I kind of want to play either an Elin or High Elf Sorcerer if I'm able to get into this game when September comes around and was wondering if there were said racial requirements.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 01:25:25 am »

I will say TERA is one of those MMORPGs that is absolutely boring 90% of the time.

If you play you are playing for that 10% because it is one heck of a 10%

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 01:25:54 am »

How does this compare to Guild Wars 2?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 02:07:24 am »

Compared to gw2 the combat is very nice but the quests are bland and unimmersive, as you'd expect from an asian mmorpg I guess.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 07:05:10 am »

Compared to gw2 the combat is very nice but the quests are bland and unimmersive, as you'd expect from an asian mmorpg I guess.
Yea, if I remember correctly, you gotta pick up and turn in the quests, which is irritating compared to GW2.
The combat is pretty nice and a bit a little flashy.

Spoiler: Warrior Tank Rant/Info (click to show/hide)

For reference, got bored of the grinding and jumped ship around level 40-ish.  My grind toleranceawareness to 'this is boring treadmill grinding' just gets lower and lower after every MMO I try out.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:14:30 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 08:58:47 am »

I'll be getting a new computer in September at the earliest and Tera was one of the games I wanted to try, and if I can get a machine that is able to run Tera on a budget of $250 USD you might be able to count me in as a Sorcerer of some kind since I like DPS magi and/or glass cannons.
Well, it certainly is an eye-candy game (in more ways than one), but if you turn down the settings, on a $250 machine, I have no idea whether it'll work or not.  Check the system requirements on the web page for the game?

You forgot the "kill 10 x" quests.  But, yeah, questing is crap.  My latest character (Mystic) I'm pretty much just doing the main storyline quests and running dungeons back to back. 

I'll take fetch quests to Everquest any day. Anyone here know if there is some specific racial requirements for Sorcerer? I kind of want to play either an Elin or High Elf Sorcerer if I'm able to get into this game when September comes around and was wondering if there were said racial requirements.
Any race can be any class.  The racial abilities are on such long cooldowns as to not really factor into decision making.  Except for any passive abilities, that is.  If you're really trying to min/max, then I'd say:
Aman - Lancer
Castanic - Slayer/DPS

The other races don't really give significant enough bonuses to factor in to class picking.  Yeah, High Elves seem to be the mana-oriented race, but they have a 2-hour cooldown ability to refill your mana bar, and an ability to regen mana faster ... after you've died and been rezzed.  Not exactly game breaking.

I will say TERA is one of those MMORPGs that is absolutely boring 90% of the time.

If you play you are playing for that 10% because it is one heck of a 10%
Maybe more 70/30, but yeah.  Dungeons and BAMs are the big draw.  Oh, and art.  Oh, and maybe PvP if you're into that.  They have battlegrounds and stuff now.

How does this compare to Guild Wars 2?
I heard a lot of people leave TERA for GW2 when it came out.  From the people I heard back from, they sounded a bit unhappy for switching over.  I can't remember the exact reasons why anymore though :(

Yea, if I remember correctly, you gotta pick up and turn in the quests, which is irritating compared to GW2.
The combat is pretty nice and a bit a little flashy.
True, but they're concentrated in little hubs throughout the zone.  Pick up half a dozen, commit small-scale genocide, turn 'em all back in at the same place and pick up your breadcrum quest to the next hub. 

So, yes, don't play TERA for the quests.  Although the main storyline quest is kind of cool.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 11:03:22 am »

I'm tempted to give it a whirl, but... Will it bore me as badly as RIFT did? I'm sure the action-combat whatever will be a step above the other, but.

Edit: System requirements is asking for 50GB free hard drive space. Just how large is this download?
1- Well, the combat is different.  Think Dynasty Warriors with skill cooldown times.  Ish.
2- I thought I remembered it being 30GB.  It's a beast.  I'm guessing for all of the graphics/textures?  *shrug*

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 11:14:40 am »

Well, it certainly is an eye-candy game (in more ways than one), but if you turn down the settings, on a $250 machine, I have no idea whether it'll work or not.  Check the system requirements on the web page for the game?
I'm getting a refurbished Windows 7 gaming desktop or laptop for $250 at most so hopefully I can get something which has good hardware for a change. I mean if I can at least meet the minimum specifications and exceed them I'll be okay to get into TERA but if not then at least I'll be able to play other games I want to play. I'm just saying that if I can get a machine which can get into TERA then count me in as a Sorcerer of either the High Elf or Elin persuasion.

Any race can be any class.  The racial abilities are on such long cooldowns as to not really factor into decision making.  Except for any passive abilities, that is.  If you're really trying to min/max, then I'd say:
Aman - Lancer
Castanic - Slayer/DPS

The other races don't really give significant enough bonuses to factor in to class picking.  Yeah, High Elves seem to be the mana-oriented race, but they have a 2-hour cooldown ability to refill your mana bar, and an ability to regen mana faster ... after you've died and been rezzed.  Not exactly game breaking.
I just want to play something that is cute and aesthetically pleasing, which is really my preference for most races in MMOs when favored classes aren't available or are not part of the mechanic. Hence why you'll see me play either an Elin or High Elf Sorcerer if I'm able to get into TERA.
Pages: [1] 2