Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Castes not working  (Read 1413 times)

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Castes not working
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:01:35 pm »

I have a problem with castes. Every time I embark all of the dwarves are just 'dwarves', no castes. The setting is on and I've tried everything to make it work.
Help I greatly appreciated. Thanks

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Castes not working
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:02:33 pm »

I have a problem with castes. Every time I embark all of the dwarves are just 'dwarves', no castes. The setting is on and I've tried everything to make it work.
Help I greatly appreciated. Thanks
Castes were moved to be based on the guild system now I believe, you won't find them starting with castes any more but they can get them later when you found the guilds.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:17:30 pm »

Considering how often I get this "bug report" I might as well make guildmembers naturally appear. The only problem is this: The guilds bonus doesnt work in worldgen, so your "fisherdwarf-migrant" can still be a member of the carpenters guild... or you get a good doctor, and she is in the rangers guild. But at least people would stop asking. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:35:30 pm »

Considering how often I get this "bug report" I might as well make guildmembers naturally appear. The only problem is this: The guilds bonus doesnt work in worldgen, so your "fisherdwarf-migrant" can still be a member of the carpenters guild... or you get a good doctor, and she is in the rangers guild. But at least people would stop asking. ^^
Its just people used to the old way. Better to keep it as it is now and put up a big notice on the first page. :P

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:57:04 am »

You can rarely pick up guilded dorfs on embark in v3d still (shows such in therapist), but it seems less common than even v3c (placebo effect prolly). 

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:46:26 am »

So how do they 'enter' these guilds? is it just over time with the highest skill?

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 01:56:44 am »

there's a building, a guildhall (or garrison for military castes) that allows you to set up specific dwarves into specific guilds. Costs coins though.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 04:32:19 am »

Correct. To join a guild its 500 gold and 2 weeks training time.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 08:35:23 am »

I can say that you do still (very occassionally) get a casted dwarf, but getting one is like finding the enchanted pink unicorn.

I think I prefer the guild system better, anyhow.  If I'm hellbent on getting them early, I can bring most materials with me at embark.

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 03:51:34 pm »

Okay thanks for the support. I've got another problem.
In the settings menu some buttons don't work correctly, to be precise
Workshops>Magic: the 3 top ones don't work
Misc Features: everything but the balancing doesn't work.
And by 'don't work' I mean every time I restart the menu the options are back to 'No'

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 03:53:17 pm »

I think the top 3 options under magic were actually removed in favor of the new magic stuff.