Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [MW] The Will of Armok  (Read 1935 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
[MW] The Will of Armok
« on: July 30, 2013, 07:37:36 pm »

Floated the idea for this on /r/dwarffortress and got some interest so I'm going to give it a run.

The world is young and still cooling from the fires of creation. Over the course of two years the gods forged the various elements of the world from the raw energies of the void. As the second year drew to a close, the gods looked upon their works and they found them empty and dull, and so they made the races of the world. All manner of bird and beast were loosed upon creation as life exploded across the lands.

This is the story of the Dwarves, created by the hand of Armok. Hewn from the living stone of the mountain, they are a sturdy and strong people fond of drink and industry. With seven mighty blows of his hammer, the First Ones were created.

So here's how this works. YOU are Armok, or rather the Will of Armok. I will simply be your humble overseer. You will tell me what equipment the dwarves start with. After each episode, you will give me new divine instructions handed down from the God of Blood and I will attempt to carry them out.

This will be played using Masterwork mod and DFHack so our options are rather broad. You can choose to gift your dwarves with glorious bounty, weapons, equipment. You can choose to strike them dead as well. Anything you want to happen I will try to make happen, within the bounds of what is possible with DF. All of the more difficult Masterwork options will be on, including the four hostile versions of the races (Evil dwarves, evil humans, drow, etc).

Updates will be in the form of official reports, journal entries from individual dwarves, and screenshots.

So, great Armok, the first things to establish are:

1. What sort of site should I look for to embark?
2. Will you be providing the starting dwarves with any equipment? If so, what?
3. Will you gift any of the dwarves with legendary abilities?
4. What shall be the name of our fortress and group?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:50:15 pm by forsaken1111 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: [MW] The Will of Armok
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:38:02 pm »

*Reserved*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 07:38:30 pm »

*Reserved*

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:03:56 pm »

1.  Something on the edge of a desert, so it can be 50 ☼  8) BLOOD ON THE SAND  Oh God that was terrible just kidding.  A mountain on the edge of evil lands so there'll be plenty of BLOOD but not too suicidal.

2.  A weapon of some kind, no armor, and one carpenter: axedwarfs can use felling labor.  He will make the barrels to be filled with blood and the traps to fill them.

3.  Perhaps a Legendary Wrestler wouldn't go amiss...

4.  Bloodmonestary? Whatever that is in Dorf.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:22:25 pm »

I'd like a dwarf, called 'Mephistopheles', a military priest please. I dont have any preferences on the group or fortress name, I am sure you can come up with something nice. Its hard to tell which words can be chosen from, without seeing the menu.

A request for ingame: Build a guildhall quickly (more or less) and convert your starting 7 into the priest caste, Apostles of Armok. (I plan to move this reaction to the religious buildings in future, makes no sense as a guild)

Good luck.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 09:24:41 pm »

Okay, getting this started.

Requests so far:

1. Something on the edge of a desert, or a mountain bordering evil lands.
2. Start with a weapon, possibly an axe, but no armor.
3. Start with a carpenter/axedwarf?
4. Maybe a legendary wrestler...
5. Name: Bloodmonestary or similar
6. Dwarf named Mephistopheles, Military Priest.
7. Build a guildhall and convert starting 7 dwarves into priest caste.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 09:34:22 pm »

Awesomesauce; to go along with the guildhall, apart from statues it should be lined with buckets of blood.  Maybe it could be on a z-level of its own, leaving room for expansion?  The priest dorfs could be Burrow/d to live there and all subsequent migrants not, but that's more up to you. Unsure of how hard it could be.

Ooh, and-- maybe make priesthood hereditary?  Legendary Combat Skillz could elevate a person to the level of Priest maybe, to allow for fresh blood.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 09:40:59 pm »

Amusingly, a byproduct of starting in year 2: Picks and anvils are NOT available. We will be pioneers of advanced production methods, as is proper.

Fortress name: Bloodabbey
Group name: The Holy Priests of Blood

Best I could do really. Options are limited.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:43:23 pm by forsaken1111 »

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 09:54:47 pm »

I'd say you did well!

Also, no anvils...  :-[  I guess you'll need to hack one in? Unless you loot Kobolds for all your metallic needs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 09:59:04 pm »

I'd say you did well!

Also, no anvils...  :-[  I guess you'll need to hack one in? Unless you loot Kobolds for all your metallic needs.
Better to hack in a pick I'd say and mine up the metals, you can smelt an anvil from 3 bars. But thats up to you guys, you are the Will of Armok. If you say I get an anvil then an anvil I get.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 10:07:18 pm »

Alright, hack in a pick...

But can you make it out of bone?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 10:08:10 pm »

Alright, hack in a pick...

But can you make it out of bone?
I will try.

Edit: I could not get it to accept a bone pick so I made a steel one instead. Update coming.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:35:10 pm by forsaken1111 »

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 10:38:50 pm »

Figures; OK.  I eagerly await!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 10:39:21 pm »

The world over, gods look down upon their handiwork as sentient races come into being. Armok, glory be to Him, sets down seven perfect dwarves upon the Bitter Hills to act as a bastion against the evil infecting the land, and to safeguard the deep places of the world.

As the seven First Ones awaken to their new life, they ponder their surroundings. Tall grass blows in the wind, and two tame female muskoxen graze nearby. The divine chariot (comprised of frozen booze  logs.. no kidding. The wagon was made of booze logs. I don't know why. It melted immediately.) which delivered them to this place sublimates in the temperate air, evaporating slowly and leaving no trace.

Ahead of them stretches a low plain covered in shadow thistle and bare rocky patches. Nearby could be seen a small group of Foul Blendec, a man-shaped creature with goat-like legs and an empty bovine skull for a head.

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)

Although newly created, Armok had gifted the dwarves with the knowledge of all the names of plant and beast and mineral, so they may better understand and prosper in this new world.

Of the First Ones there were seven.

Geshud Cattancavor was gifted the knowledge of Mining and Masonry.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eral Birutimbit was gifted with the knowledge of Mining and Mechanics.

'Libashtarmid' Ziksiskubuk was gifted with the knowledge of Carpentry and the Way of the Axe. He was created with a steel axe in his hand, a glorious gift from Armok!

Sakzulgerig, the only First One with but a single name, was gifted the holy knowledge of metalworking and forgecraft.

Tazuk Keshshaknil was gifted the knowledge of Jewelcraft.

'Mephistopheles' Toberith was granted the art of conversation and statecraft, and so became the leader of the First Ones.

'Datandur' Ngitholsholid was granted fists of iron and the knowledge of unarmed combat.

After a few moments, Eral was astonished to have a steel pickaxe appear in his hands. It was a simple but functional tool, of similar construction to Libash's axe. Coincidentally and not all related, it began snowing elf blood at the very same moment.

Spoiler: A Miracle! (click to show/hide)

What now, oh mighty Armok? What should your Dwarves focus on first?

If you wish to claim a dwarf, specify which one. Meph if you want a different one that's fine too. If you want to gift someone with something specific, let me know.

For now I need a short term goal as well. What should they start doing?

What is the item code for a pick anyway? Nothing I tried would work with either of the item creation scripts.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:36:34 am by forsaken1111 »

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 11:00:30 pm »

If you'd nick Tazuk Azrayel that'd be neat  ;D

Oh gawd.  Armok's better part is going to have to dictate the next move, I'm kind of stymied.  Don't want the first fortress of ever having anything less than an epic entrance.

Pages: [1] 2