Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How does cooking work?  (Read 2016 times)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does cooking work?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 05:55:00 pm »

Hmm, but alcohol->cooked is 2 extra production steps.  It might be nice for unemployed farmers in winter, but really most of the time I still think I'd rather actually produce extra food.  Plus unless I'm running multiple stills full out, it seems the thirsty little buggers drink the alcohol faster than it can be cooked  :D

I'll still be adding the cook(s), it's just not going to be as early as I had been doing it. Also at about the 50 pop stage or so, I think I'll experiment with something like 5 farmers 3-4 brewers 2 cooks versus the usual 10 farmers +1 brewer +1 cook I did the last couple times.  That may free up a couple guys for aaaaaarmy training...

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 05:56:00 pm »

Items in barrels never rot, either, no matter what they are.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 08:13:00 pm »

Maybe unrendered fat rots slowly in barrels.  Rendering makes it keep forever.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2006, 03:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>Cooked meals never rot. This cannot be stated enough.</STRONG>

funny that.. i just saw a stack of 19 rotten salted croc meal of some sort in my refuse pile!

i believe that was the 1st thing that got cooked and had been lying on the ground (not barrel) for a season or 2.

world built with 93
started playing (and cooked) on 100
switched to 101 and gone rotten at some point.

the raw meat from the wagons that are lying on the floor aren't rotten though

[ August 21, 2006: Message edited by: bbb ]

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 12:54:00 am »

savegame  http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=C8DA52424304ACF4

that's *rotten saltwater crocodile meat roast [19]*
"this is a stack of 19 finely-prepared rotten saltwater crocodile meat roast. the ingredients are finely minced raccoon meat, finely minced raccoon meat, finely minced saltwater crocodile meat and superiorly minced saltwater crocodile meat."

btw.. it was a lavish meal.. should it be any 4 stacks of raw meat or 4 different types of meat? looks to me like it's quite often 2 stacks of 2 different types

ps.. bad idea marking the whole lot of trees (vertically) to be chopped.. only some of them gets the chop leaving wood everywhere to be collected..

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 01:41:00 am »

Ah, also, it should be mentioned...

There are several types of seeds that your dwarves simply cannot plant.  This includes any type of seed not listed on any of the three planting seasons on your farm.  You can collect them when gathering plants, but you can never plant them.  Strawberry seeds, for instance.

Those serve no purpose but cooking.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: 1 [2]