Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How does cooking work?  (Read 2015 times)

Shujaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does cooking work?
« on: August 19, 2006, 11:58:00 am »

Dwarves seem to be happy enough eating raw veggies, raw fish (after cleaning) etc.

Do cooked meals have an advantage over uncooked? Do they spoil if no one eats them? Will I still get seeds from eating cooked vegetables? I don't wanna have to babysit their meal times.

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does cooking work?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 12:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shujaa:
<STRONG>Dwarves seem to be happy enough eating raw veggies, raw fish (after cleaning) etc.

Do cooked meals have an advantage over uncooked? Do they spoil if no one eats them? Will I still get seeds from eating cooked vegetables? I don't wanna have to babysit their meal times.</STRONG>

You build a kitchen and assign cooks to "prepare meal" Prepared meals have an advatage over regular food in the following ways:
1. The food is more enjoyable to eat and makes the dwarves happy
2. Each dwarf has invidvidual tastes ( some like cougar meat, some like turtle meat, etc ), so mixing foods together with cooking makes dwarves more likely to find foods that they prefer... I think?

I don't think you get seeds from cooked vegitables. If you are concerned about running out, then disable that particular plant from the cooking menu.

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 12:44:00 pm »

You lose any plump helmet spawn, so don't cook them. I wish Toady would get that fixed, seeing as brewing cave wheat produced both beer and seeds. Although it may be a tad more complicated, as foods are mixed rather than just converted.

Shujaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 12:49:00 pm »

What happens to a cooked meal when no one is hungry? Do they rot?

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 01:06:00 pm »

Are cooked meals more efficient? (ie. does preparing a meal get you a pice or two more out of it then you put in? or is it just that they like it better?)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 01:25:00 pm »

I did a test about 2 versions ago, and the dwarves ran out of food at almost exactly the same time.  The comparison was between no cooking at all, and 2 kitchens running constantly with 5+6+7 points spent on each cook ("Competent").  No fishing or farming or any food production to muddy up the comparisons.  So my conclusion was cooking didn't add any actual food value.

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 02:44:00 pm »

unless you're cooking a bunch of seeds you've collected, which the dwarves won't eat otherwise.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 02:58:00 pm »

not entirely sure there's any point in cleaning fish...

started with some cave fish/turtle/lobster.

they either get eaten raw... leaving shells (bones?) or cooked.. (not sure if shells/bones are left) without going through the fishery

----
maybe the fishery should be used to breed fishes instead?

[ August 19, 2006: Message edited by: bbb ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 04:20:00 pm »

Raw lobster and turtles aren't eaten when raw and uncleaned.  If they are, it's a bug.  However, they *can* be eaten just fine when they're uncooked, if they've been cleaned: dwarves are the sushi experts of the land.

[ August 19, 2006: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 05:04:00 pm »

I always assumed cooking was a way to stretch food out.  :( I don't think I'll bother with a kitchen anymore if I could have the dwarf that's working there fishing or hunting instead...

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 05:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>I always assumed cooking was a way to stretch food out.   :( I don't think I'll bother with a kitchen anymore if I could have the dwarf that's working there fishing or hunting instead...</STRONG>
It is, you just have to cook items that are inedible otherwise-- usually seeds.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 05:09:00 pm »

But with seeds come plants!

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 05:09:00 pm »

If you have enough food, as I do, or a LOT of spare seeds, you can cook them up.

Plus, one plant makes 5 units of alcohol. Alcohol+food = Biscuits. I think you get more units of food than what you put in, as the alcohol is converted.

Edit: Also, if you're low on food but have lots of seeds and it is winter, it may be worth cooking up the seeds.

[ August 19, 2006: Message edited by: Slime ]

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 05:10:00 pm »

Yes, but those precious seeds are for planting next spring! I guess it's good that they're cookable as a last resort though.

Which brings up another question...I've got like 10 prickleberry seeds and a couple of longland grass seeds, but never get an option to plant them. I guess they're one of those wussy little plants that require sunlight and there's no point in hanging on to them?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 05:20:00 pm »

Cooked meals never rot. This cannot be stated enough.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"
Pages: [1] 2