Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: RWBY (Web Series)  (Read 5099 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RWBY (Web Series)
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 09:54:26 am »

Episode 3 is up. Another 5 mins of character development.

It has a lot of snark and I'm getting tsundere vibes from Weiss. Why? Apparently, she cared enough to confront Ruby about the whole dust accident thing and go over to them to complain some more.

Hmm, well from the White trailer and song it appears Weiss has lived a pretty lonely life, since her parents are probably pretty busy with the whole Dust business. She probably isn't quite the best at socializing with people, and probably also cares a whole lot about her weapon, since it's one of the few things that's always been by her in those rough times. And her weapon appears to rely on dust a lot, too, from the trailer. Just my speculation. It is kind of funny that Blake and Weiss's roles seem to be reversed from what I'd expect from their colors.

Did like the third episode much better than the second, at least there was actual character's speaking, instead of Sword Guy oogling over Ruby.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 01:39:46 pm »

They need to shoehorn more fight scenes into this. Yeah, I get that from a storytelling perspective that's a bad idea, but it's the only reason I'm watching at this point so... >_________________>

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 04:03:18 pm »

Hnng. There are so many things about this show that I can't stand; I don't know why I keep watching it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 04:07:14 pm »

The fights. It's gotta be the fights.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 04:08:09 pm »

I watched these last two episodes knowing there would be no fights. The fights are the best part so far, but even they have problems.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 04:20:38 pm »

Like I said, they're the only thing that's even tolerable. I don't think I went ten seconds in episode 3 without cringing at the dialogue. Even the stuff that was intentionally awkward. Heh, at least I hope that "*durr* I like books!" was intended to be as painful as it was.

3. Run Resize Enable

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 04:21:29 pm »

You know what, they should have just made all the characters completely silent. That would have fixed a lot of the issues.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 04:26:51 pm »

Among those fixed issues is the animation not matching the speech. I'm not talking about lips, I'm talking about body language.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 04:39:27 pm »

PTW for REASONS and CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT with STUFF

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 04:48:46 pm »

It's matching my expectations so far. That's not to say it's EXCELLENT. I just had as much expectations for the first season of RWBY as I did for the first of Red vs Blue. The team is working on something entirely new, most of the VAs are rank amateurs (as far as we know), they're using technology they're apparently new with. It's really the same starting conditions as RvB when you think about it, and in comparison to its first season this may actually be better.

I'm confident that thing will improve over time, since Miles is writing both Season 11 and RWBY, and the former's doing pretty well for a "filler" season. He's got the chops, he just needs to get into the swing of it. Plus, it's not like it hasn't improved. The voice acting has gotten a lot better since the trailers, though Weiss still makes me cringe.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 05:11:51 pm »

True, despite my above griping, I'm not really disappointed in anything but the lack of fight scenes.

Also, Weiss' weapon runs on Dust, which is apparently highly expensive. Thus, because of the cost to use her weapon effectively for any length of time, I have prepared something.

Spoiler: something (click to show/hide)

It's approximately as clever as the series' dialogue >________>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 05:30:26 pm »

Weiss' voice isn't that bad. Well, I've heard worst but it's not bad. Besides angry screaming and going on full disclaimer mode, we haven't really seen much of her in a normal conversation.

Also, about that disclaimer. It had no bearing on the situation. It's her personal supply and not a company product to sell. Bringing it up there is kinda pointless.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 05:59:36 pm »

Granted, she's also very much a company girl, from what we've seen. I think it's a fair guess to say that she was probably brought up to be hyperaware of potential sources of lawsuits.

Actually, I'd rather indulge in some WMG about the line regarding "bloody evolution" in the OP. My speculation is that Dust will turn out to be some sort of extranormal agent that triggers magical mutation in ordinary humans when exposed to sufficient quantities. The "bloody" refers to the apparent fact that just about everything done with Dust is (either intentionally or due to inherent limitations) centered around combat.

You know what, they should have just made all the characters completely silent. That would have fixed a lot of the issues.
The worst part is that I can agree without a hint of sarcasm. Doing it as a silent piece would actually have been a rather interesting step to take, especially if they improved the animations of facial expressions and body language.

3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 06:24:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure the animation program they are using is... well... 'common' for a lack of better term.  I've seen the same exact 'style' in other places.
So the inherent problems with the facial/body stuff and the same size-ness of the characters is due to the limitations of the animation program, at least I think it is.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 10:14:12 pm »

Probably more a limitation of trying to put out one episode a week, and not wanting to fiddle with a bunch of complicated manipulations and chance missing deadline.
I'll guess that the animation team is likely smaller than the voice team.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4