Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: RWBY (Web Series)  (Read 5100 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RWBY (Web Series)
« on: July 28, 2013, 03:11:11 am »

RWBY (pronounce "ruby") is a new fictional animated web series following the the story of four girls as they attend a school and learn to fight monsters using the abilities granted by a magic substance known as Dust. It is 3D, and the characters are done in the anime style. It's a great series, and can be watched online here: http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?sid=rwby&v=more
For an independent development, it's quite amazing what they've managed to do with it in the two episodes that have been released so far. I don't have a ton to say, but I highly recommend you check out an episode at least. There have been a few posts about it lately scattered around the forums, so I figured I'd make a thread for discussion about the series, since I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: RWBY (Web Series)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 03:51:32 am »

Just watched first episode...
It feels very... Well I'm seeing all the same devices used often in fan fiction and works directed towards 'young adults', and in the end it feels kind of cliche and uncompelling to me. I appreciate I have only watched one episode so far, but that episode was without any sort of hook I haven't already swallowed. Cheery over powered action girl, charming thief, smooth headmaster. All the playing pieces are there. I know these days you will never have a totally original series, it has all been done, but some of it has been done more than others.

Having said that, that doesn't make it bad, at least not enough to warrant any sort of hate. We just need to take these things for what it is. As long as we are happy with the idea that this has been constructed in a way that substitutes depth for the emotional triggers that we become so easily attached to, I'm fine with that.

I'll watch episode 2 now, and see if they can win me over.

EDIT: Watched episode 2. Yep, all doubts were confirmed.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm shitting all over a series you like. It is good, there are lots of series out there that try the same thing and do a lot worse, it just isn't as great as the hype I had heard.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:09:08 am »

I agree with Max in terms of it being fairly standard fare as far as character types and plot go, but I was always hyped for it because of the fight choreography so none of that is enough to kill it for me.

E: Oh, and one thing I really like is how they show all of the meaningless extras in crowded areas as black silhouettes. It's very self-conscious, I think, even if it isn't tremendously original.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 06:11:30 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 06:53:24 am »

Well, it is Rooster Teeth. I wasn't expecting much in the story and character department, I was far more interested in the fights (which are, as said, very well made) and their usual sens of humor, and I was not disappointed as of watching the first episode (though I have not yet watched the second do to being unable to access my good computer).

So yeah, I'll be watching it to see if it really goes anywhere else.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 08:19:53 am »

I'm keeping tabs on the series.  Somehow when the trailers first came out I came under the impression somehow that the end result would be a new fighter game, and I was very excited.  I wasn't let down at all though, when I found out it was going to be a show.  I did become a bit disappointed when it turned out to be a magical high school anime, but I really liked episode 1.

Episode 2 was okay but it was a bit lacking in length or action.  I know most of the episodes will be roughly 6 minutes long, but at this rate it feels like it will be a while until the actual group even forms.  I was a lot more hyped up for RWBY while it was still just trailers.  All of them were really well-made, emotional, and beautiful.  Now we have the actual show where the characters seem to behave a lot differently than in the trailers. (And high school plot)

I guess my main point here is that the show didn't turn out to be as novel or new as I expected.  Hopefully stuff will pick up because for now it's a little dull.

Also, I found the flat black silhouette thing to look lazy, as if they didn't have enough time to give real appearances to those students.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 08:35:25 am »

PTW.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 08:38:42 am »

I can't help but notice things clipping into other things sometimes >.<

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 08:45:13 am »

Also, I found the flat black silhouette thing to look lazy, as if they didn't have enough time to give real appearances to those students.
Well, one option is to make a buncha generic backdrop poniescharacters that you recycle over and over and over again, everywhere.  But, that really only works if all the generic characters wear similar clothing/look similar. 
Overall, it is unneeded, probably cause there is no plan to put any spotlight on the generics and it takes more time/work to flesh out 100s of 'unique' generics in a free(?) project.

Stupid enemies.  They never can figure out that they are outmatched can they?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 02:11:29 pm »

atleast you could say they came a long way since Red vs Blue.
the story itself is generic and the dialog is.... common?
overall i'll keep an eye out for it, see if it gets better.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 02:16:35 pm »

Grah, why did it have to be a school. My arbitrary distaste for that genre is not helping! Still, I'll keep watching it. Oum does sufficiently spectacular fight scenes to make up for it, although based on episode 2 I will not be enjoying any episode that doesn't have one of those scenes.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 02:46:12 pm »

Ptw
It's FEF, not FEOF

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 03:55:20 pm »

Enjoyment is linearly proportional to the length of time spent gunscythe-dancing. Because that is awesome and will never get old.

Unlike the plot and characters, which are insipid.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 05:35:37 pm »

Enjoyment is linearly proportional to the length of time spent gunscythe-dancing. Because that is awesome and will never get old.

Unlike the plot and characters, which are insipid.

I think this actually sums things up pretty nicely. So far the characters are...way formulaic. The first episode was quite nice, but the second wasn't as good. We'll see where things go!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 08:45:21 am »

Episode 3 is up. Another 5 mins of character development.

It has a lot of snark and I'm getting tsundere vibes from Weiss. Why? Apparently, she cared enough to confront Ruby about the whole dust accident thing and go over to them to complain some more.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:47:42 am by majikero »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 09:29:00 am »

I like how we are getting updates in both this and the...  I think it was the western toon thread.

So far, it is like an anime made by Westerners.  The 3rd episode seems like toned down fan service to me, cause girls in their nighties.

EDIT: I originally posted to agree with the above post, forgot that.  Yea, Tsundere.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:31:31 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: [1] 2 3 4