Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Pandora: First Contact - Modern Alpha Centauri  (Read 12709 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pandora: First Contact - Modern Alpha Centauri
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 12:32:26 pm »

Loving the game, currently playing on easy (no bonuses/maluses for AI) and it's challenging in a way I rarely experience in 4X games. In my current game as the environmentalists I've been in a brutal war with the dynasts for a long time, fighting mainly over one city. The AI is very competent, landing naval invasions on my flanks and rear, decimating me with aircraft, etc. Technology choices seem to really matter instead of simply being leading in tech or not. I was terrified when I had little army tech researched and they declared war on me with aircraft and tanks, and have been struggling to hold on despite seemingly losing the war of attrition, when normally I tend to get bored while losing this kind of game. Currently I'm working on getting nuclear weapons, and hope that will turn the tide of the war.
In terms of wildlife, I didn't realize the wildlife was docile, and the environmentalist -% aggressiveness seems unfortunately not very useful, as I'm not even far into the game and all the hives seem to be gone with no new wildlife popping up, though maybe I just haven't hit the pollution point where that happens. The game definitely lacks the personality of SMAC, which is a shame but I guess wouldn't have been replicable.
Overall I like it a lot and recommend it, though for hardcore players of SMAC spending too much time comparing and contrasting the two will probably hamper enjoyment.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 01:13:41 pm »

Has anyone tried multiplayer?  My roommate is still kinda scarred and pessimistic from all the out-of-sync errors we've gotten in other 4x games recently, but I'm trying to convince him to buy it so we can play.  Are turns simultaneous or one after another?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 01:40:23 pm »

Has anyone tried multiplayer?  My roommate is still kinda scarred and pessimistic from all the out-of-sync errors we've gotten in other 4x games recently, but I'm trying to convince him to buy it so we can play.  Are turns simultaneous or one after another?
You could always download it onto his computer and play yourself to test it out for a bit, then buy it when it works.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2013, 12:29:15 am »

Ha finally tempted him.

So far its been pretty fun and there hasn't been any issues.  Somehow I managed to get placed all by myself on a nice green continent, while him and everybody else is in a death-mushroom infested hellhole.  Haha! 

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2013, 11:55:55 am »

Came across this game in Quill18's Let's Try video today, and it looks interesting. At the same time, it looks to be relying incredibly heavily on the nostalgia factor as the game itself seems to be heavily mired in minutae details and numbers. It actually looks like Civ 4 + Civ 5 minus the personality.

And, it's so damn expensive...

Reading the opinions here and debating.

If you're like me and want some info, here's the video:
http://youtu.be/JjY5QQwGSSk
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2013, 12:28:10 pm »

Not sure how $30 qualifies as "so expensive" for a newly released game. It's actually pretty cheap - AAA games go for anywhere from $40 to $60, as far as I've seen.

I personally don't mind "minutiae", as long as they don't bog you down entirely near end-game. I just want complex, interesting mechanics that give you significant choices. For me, the game looks cool, but I need to inform myself more :)

I'm interested in reading more reviews from Bay12, so if you've got the game, let us know!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2013, 12:57:19 pm »

Well, I haven't played enough to really give it a proper review, but so far its been great.

Things I like:
-  As far as I can tell, the tech tree is semi-randomized each time you play.  Although some people say it might reduce the personality, I think it just adds hilariousness. 
- So far the interface has been fast and flawless in multiplayer.
- Turns seem to be running blazingly fast compared to Civ, although I'm only playing on a mediums-sized map so far, and its still early in the game.
- The first thing that happened to me in the game was I explored an alien ruins and came out with a pack of adorable alien puppy dogs.  Awesome.
- I think I saw a alien dragon eat a pack of alien puppy dogs.  Also awesome.
- Mechanics seem pretty easy to grasp overall. 

Things I don't like:
- It could use a better Pandora-pedia.  Sometimes I haven't been able to find answers to my questions in it.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2013, 01:01:31 pm »

And how complex and deep do you believe it goes?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2013, 02:43:26 pm »

And how complex and deep do you believe it goes?

To be honest, I haven't played enough yet to say.  I'm going to guess its got about the same depth as Alpha Centauri, as it seems to have a lot of the same elements. 

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2013, 04:20:16 pm »

Not sure how $30 qualifies as "so expensive" for a newly released game. It's actually pretty cheap - AAA games go for anywhere from $40 to $60, as far as I've seen.

Yeah, I mean, whatever, I just caved a week ago and bought XCOM:EW for that price, and it was worth it – no reason this game can't also be worth it. Not everything can be on sale all the time. Anyway, posting to watch/ remind myself of this game for when I have the money to spare.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2013, 04:34:20 pm »

Marking this on my "want" list, though I'm tapped out on buying any game at all till past February. :/ Sounds really good though.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2013, 10:31:58 am »

It's a shame the AI is quite weak in this game.

Half of them can't even survive maximum native aggression on very hard.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2014, 09:24:00 pm »

Expansion for this released this week end. Worth picking up from Steam for $24USD, or should just wait a month for Civ:BE (at $50)?

Regredit: What the hell, I have money to throw around, I'll just get it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]