Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombie and ghost.  (Read 446 times)

Johann Canteloupe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zombie and ghost.
« on: July 27, 2013, 06:36:22 am »

Hey hey, I'm a new member and I've been playing DF for a few weeks now, and I was wanting to ask a question. Is it still possible for a dwarf who has become a zombie (Through evil weather or necromancy etc) to become a ghost after this has happened?
If not I was contemplating some form of undead fighting pit/trap. I'd just hate to fill my fort with ghosts in the process.

Thanks.  :)

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie and ghost.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 06:46:02 am »

I you engrave a slab to memorialize a dead dwarf, they will not become a ghost.  This will *not* prevent evil energies from reanimating their corpse, so you can prevent haunting while still reanimating- you just need to use memorial slabs instead of coffins.

Johann Canteloupe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 06:49:07 am »

Ah, great idea, thanks! :D

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:10:25 pm »

To clarify for other readers: living creatures in DF have souls that store things like skills and preferences. When they die, their soul actually becomes seperated from the body, which allows the soul to come back as a ghost. Regardless of if a ghost appears, the body can also be turned into an animated corpse by a necromancer.

Some modded "resurrect" interactions can bring the body back to (actual) life while returning the original soul.