Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have created the most legendary POS of all time...and it is strange  (Read 1428 times)

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, upon engaging the legendary Planepacked glitch, I produced this lovely...wooden figurine...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

or for a text version:
http://pastebin.com/siNL7szq

So, to start off, I learned this object is a figurine, which apparently has no function other than being sold to caravans...which you can't DO with artifacts...so this is by far the most useless outcome imaginable, especially considering it took over a hundred logs, and is worth 140,400...so that's one valuable entirely worthless object. and i can't even put it in a room to be admired by random passersby...

Side note, does anyone know what "On the item is an image of tapered baguette cut gems in pine." means? I know what all the individual words are, but together they make no sense...also at least once the guy depicted a tree, who's wood he had access to, using the wood from ANOTHER tree...

Any ideas about this, or what I should do with it?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

"On the item is an image of tapered baguette cut gems in pine."

Litterally:

On the item, there is an image.
The image is of baguette cut gems.
The image is made out of cut pine.

Similarly:

"On the item there is an image of burning dwarves in pencil."

There is an image on the item.
The image is one of dwarves who are burning.
The image was drawn using a pencil.

--because english is one of the most horrible languages imaginable. :D

As for what to do with it... put it in a binless stockpile, surrounded by horrible, horrible traps and penned up attack animals.

Use it to attract kobolds, then use the kobolds for military practice.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:20:11 pm by wierd »

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you, that is a great idea. time for !!FUN!!...for the kobolds, not so much for me right now.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One of my dwarves made a raw adamantine amulet worth 916,800.
It's literally useless and accounts for almost 1/4 of my fortress wealth on its own.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Side note, the sentence structure was fine (english IS my first language), it was the fact that "Baguette" (which I only know as a FOOD) is apparently a type of gem cut that tripped me up

Ramiel.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A lot of mods include a Display Case building for putting neat and valuable, but ultimately useless, artifacts on display.  Not only is it a great idea thematically, but the artifact's value can then be added to your fort's architectural value and the value of any room it's placed in.  Even if you don't use a mod I'd highly recommend adding it in to your vanilla DF raws.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57243

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Side note, the sentence structure was fine (english IS my first language), it was the fact that "Baguette" (which I only know as a FOOD) is apparently a type of gem cut that tripped me up

Its baguette cut, see. Its shaped like a baguette.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

And why do dwarves cut gems shaped like a kind of bread?

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile

It's just a type of cut, rectangular and elongated - named, of course, for the delicious food that the gemstone resembles.

It's our naming procedure, not the dwarves'.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, this is wooden artifact, wooden artifacts can be lit to burn forever, so it's not as useless as stone one would be.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have created the most legendary POS of all time...and it is strange
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 07:49:11 am »

Bam. 1,582,800 bracelet. Fml.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.