Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: DwarfCorp [Kickstarter]  (Read 8256 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DwarfCorp [Kickstarter]
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2013, 12:47:13 am »

How did you came to that conclusion? to my knowledge they have already worked on that game for a full year now, so its not just an instant kickstarter to rake in.

But, well, i havent tried the alpha/tech demo so maybe the issue is in that department.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2013, 04:20:13 am »

I have cancelled my pledge for the reasons listed already as well as my experience with the pre-alpha. This is a cash grab and it honestly doesn't feel like they have the best intentions. I'm sorry to have this opinion when the dev was kind enough to stop by. I wish them the best of luck and I would be happy to buy it if they make it and it turns out well, but I have little hope at this point.

Just thought I would throw my two cents in to this.

I actually agree with you in some ways, apart from the point of their intentions, and on a personal note will not be withdrawing my (notional) pledge.

It IS a 'cash-grab', and unashamedly so. But one man's 'cash-grab' is another man's 'funding-drive' and in this case I sympathise entirely with a couple of academics who have been abundantly honest in the terms with which they are requesting cash - and what actually it will give them - which is not much more than a little bit of extra time to work on this, or pay external artists etc.

I'm not even giving them the benefit of the doubt - in this case I do not genuinely know whether they have the capability to complete this particular venture, and I think they are well aware of the challenges.  It might be a bit of a 'punt' from them - but to me that is what Kickstarter should be about, particularly with respect to certain types of Vidyagames. Communally contributing to give someone else a CHANCE to create something interesting that would otherwise founder.

It's nice to think that we could all chip in and give them a little bit more time to devote to the game, rather than making the only sensible decision of having to solely concentrate on their primary jobs because of food and shelter and stuff. This is the point I guess where people should be careful - in interpreting the intentions of the project and making sure they are content with the terms of engagement.

I choose to believe these guys are honest, this is a well-meant kickstarter - and they will use the pledge as best they can, but I accept that might be a difficult choice for some people. To me the honesty and apparent humility in some of the aspects of the kickstarter are big reasons for me pledging against this as opposed to various other, apparently similar projects, which I have avoided.

I also don't see that a couple of academics would gain anything from potentially sullying their reputation with something that they don't believe they can be successful in.

Perhaps I am a bit naive, or soft, or whatever, but I'm still in :)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2013, 07:30:52 am »

I have edited my remark about their intentions. I am put off by the fact that they are asking money for something that isn't a priority. I understand why it's not a priority, but I am uncomfortable with funding a "hobby" when so many people are using kickstarter to go "all in" on their dreams to create.

These guys are students who in a year of free time development have made this pre-alpha. Now they want money to hopefully have a beta by this time next year. First, the amount of money involved is not likely to give them much more free time to work on the game. They said 46% of the money raised goes to paying themselves to give themselves more time to work on the game, yet 46% after taxes and fees is roughly $6000, split between the two of them. So these two guys made this very rough pre-alpha in a year think that $3000, living in Pittsburgh,  is going to help them make this game by next year.

Something is off. It could be that they have no idea what they are doing in regards to costs and their time, which is in of itself frightening. It could also be that they intend to make the game anyway but they would like some money while they do it, which was not stated and would be better served by selling alpha access. Finally there is the worst case scenario which is they know it's not likely that they will finish the game but are comforted by knowing that KS and Amazon have no recourse for those who just stop working on their projects. The best case scenario is that they are naive, and that is the most likely scenario in my opinion. I misspoke when I called it a cash grab. It's not fair to presuppose their intentions and for that I apologize. I have backed 39 KS campaigns for a total of right around $4000, I have a very good track record predicting success from my history in business development. I simply don't see our money helping this very cool game come into existence. I wish them all of the luck in the world, and if they finish and sell their game, you all know I will buy and giveaway at least 10 copies.

EDIT: This is my personal opinion and in no way should be read as fact. I do not disparage anyone who wishes to support these devs. Being a patron of the arts is one of the most noble pursuits of man.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 08:34:25 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2013, 05:12:19 pm »

Even though I'm not backing it, I thought I would mention here they updated yesterday with some fantastic information about random terrain gerneration. I don't know how much of it is already done and how much of it is hopeful, but it seems like it might inspire some more people to fund the project.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2013, 08:23:02 pm »

Just noticed this game on kickstarter and came here to see if a thread existed... ptw
☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -
Download @ DFFD ::: WIN ::: MAC ::: LINUX

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2013, 01:46:57 pm »

Just wanted to say that the kickstarter goal has been reached.

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 06:04:54 pm »

They are now adding kobolds

http://www.dwarfcorp.com/site/2013/08/13/first-stretch-goal-reached/

Seriously, it's good to have some Dwarf Fortress inspiration but I think is this too much

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2013, 06:12:27 pm »

i sort of agree. they seem to lack their own content :P

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2013, 07:44:10 am »

Kobolds are in the same fantasy universe as dwarves 99% of the time. I'm more worried about the stretch goals, they may prove too much...but we'll see.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 08:05:40 am »

Seriously, it's good to have some Dwarf Fortress inspiration but I think is this too much

Yeah I know what you mean, Dwarves didn't even exist before DF....

One thing they should do which DF also does is start with 7

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 08:48:43 am »

I threw $10 at them in their final hours.  Mostly because I support indie developers.  The result can't possibly be worse than Dungeons.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2013, 12:28:39 pm »

Yeah I know what you mean, Dwarves didn't even exist before DF....

One thing they should do which DF also does is start with 7

It's a fair complaint, though. You have dwarves making a new settlement who get attacked by goblins, and now we have kobolds.

None of that is unique to Dwarf Fortress of course, but it'd be nice to see this game go off on its own a bit more. Or at least put a unique spin on everything, kind of how DF Elves are decidedly not your standard Fantasy elves, even if they share some similar characteristics.

For example, it'd be interesting if the kobolds acted more like those of German myth, where they would cause mischief and make interesting things happen in the mines. Something other than the basic D&D inspired swarms of weak enemies for your soldiers to cut down, and more like the way Gremlins work in DF.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2013, 06:02:14 pm »

Hey D&D kobolds are actually interesting, at least in 3.5 edition. There was a lot of content for kobolds.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2013, 06:04:49 pm »

Hey D&D kobolds are actually interesting, at least in 3.5 edition. There was a lot of content for kobolds.

Kobolds are also quite scary when you give them magic items.  Ring of invisibility, wand of giant strength, diving might, lightning...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2013, 06:31:32 pm »

Kobolds are also quite scary when you give them magic items.  Ring of invisibility, wand of giant strength, diving might, lightning...
And there are rules for kobolds using the latent powers of their dragon blood. They can be quite entertaining. Not just level 1 creeps.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8