Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: DwarfCorp [Kickstarter]  (Read 8257 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DwarfCorp [Kickstarter]
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 01:24:03 am »

Hmm! Watching with interest.
The way to goblin goes boom, now if they have gear, it HAS to fly out... i backed it.... just before i realised now i am broke to back satelitte reign.......
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 04:13:18 am »

Looks nice. I'm always scared that a kickstarter is just a way for me to get screwed though.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 04:17:14 am »

Looks nice. I'm always scared that a kickstarter is just a way for me to get screwed though.
Well if you want my point of view, the chance to be screwed is less than expecting big company to deliver something good (look at EA with his Thesimcallofwarfare.)
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 04:57:37 am »

Looks more Genomia-like then a DF-like. But still looks interesting as it has some mechanics that I enjoy in games like this. Kinda something I wish DF Fortmode actually had to make interacting with merchants more interesting as its quite easy to forget what the mountain home was requesting and the price changes didnt actually effect much...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Nachodsk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 06:41:34 am »

Oh, it looks so awesome! hope those guys reach their budget to make this game, it looks really good to me!

Support

Dwarfcorp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 06:11:32 pm »

Hey guys! I noticed we were getting backers from this page, so I swooped in from accross the internet to say hello and thank you for your support!

At first we avoided posting here because we feared a backlash from DF fans, but you guys have been way more positive and supportive than we imagined!

I'd like to say that we're both huge fans of Dwarf Fortress, and it is definitely the biggest inspiration for the game. When I started making Dwarf Corp, it was originally called "Dwarf Fortress Minecraft Viewer." I sort of wanted to make a new Dwarf Fortress viewer, akin to Stonesense, that had the look of Minecraft. I was doing this mainly to learn 3D game programming. Eventually, I decided just to make my own game out of this engine, which is what you see here.

We can never hope to capture the depth and complexity of Dwarf Fortress, but I hope that our game has something unique to offer the genre! We're trying to twist the genre slightly by adding in elements from the tycoon games (with customers, employees, economy, etc.), and Dungeon Keeper (questionable moral themes, player powers as rooms, explicit class system, etc.) as well as providing (we hope) our own unique visual style and thematic flavor.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 06:14:36 pm by Dwarfcorp »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 06:12:56 pm »

So can we unironically call this game Dwarf Corptress then? :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 08:48:01 pm »

All I can say is this sounds very ambitious for a two-man studio.  I don't know if they've got the chops to pull it off.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 08:49:57 pm »

Looks mildly interesting, although I don't think I'll be backing it at the moment.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

ConsUme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 08:51:18 pm »

questionable moral themes

that sound more like Dwarf fortress than Dungeon keeper to me...
Goddamit SourceForge

kingofthescots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 12:56:56 am »

All I can say is this sounds very ambitious for a two-man studio.  I don't know if they've got the chops to pull it off.

Well, let's be honest. DF is developed by a two man studio. DF is much more ambitious in scope than DwarfCorp is, albeit with a much longer timeframe for development (IE whatever Toady wants). I see where you're coming from, but I think they're far enough along for us to think they'll succeed. And if not... well hell, I spent a lot more than $8 on my lunch yesterday. I'm willing to "gamble" $8 if it means more quality games in a vein similar to DF. Even if it means skipping my Friday lunch out!

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 08:41:00 am »

I'm definitely interested in any game of this genre and I hope this one turns nice.
The 3D terrain combined with 2D(?) pixeled chars doesn't strike me as right though.

I don't think I'll back this because I'm already waiting for Maia and Banished and Clockwork Empires, and what I've seen is not enough to assure me it will be completed. Best of luck though, as soon as there is a demo I'll give it some attention.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 08:44:23 am »

I REALLY like the look of this. I hope you guys can finish it.

Altough I have to ask, what's the name of the song in the kickstarter video?

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dwarfcorp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 12:28:27 pm »

What we're more worried about is the amount of time we have. I'm starting my PhD in less than a month. We were originally doing this to work full time during the summer, but legal troubles involved in setting up the kickstarter account took *three months* of our time. It's actually been extremely smooth and easy to implement what we have so far. Our plan right now is to have rolling releases, an extremely long "alpha" phase, and an even longer "beta" phase where we just push minor changes every now and then for a few years. It's not like we're going to disappear for a year and then go "boom, game's done!" and push it out to shelves. Our studio is not suited for that model.

Dwarfcorp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 12:29:25 pm »

I REALLY like the look of this. I hope you guys can finish it.

Altough I have to ask, what's the name of the song in the kickstarter video?

It is called "Dwarfcorp Waltz." I wrote it myself for the occasion. You can find more of my (free, Creative Commons) music here: https://soundcloud.com/bleakprospects
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8