Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grim yet funny  (Read 1490 times)

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grim yet funny
« on: July 25, 2013, 10:50:30 pm »

The following all happened within a span of 10 seconds:

Some migrants have arrived!
Urist McThresher has gone berserk!
Urist McMigrant has been struck down!

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grim yet funny
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 12:22:47 am »

Did you reclaim? This tends to happen if you reclaim after abandoning a fort that still had dwarves in it (can't remember if they have to be unhappy at the time). The dwarves will sometimes come back as part  of a migrant wave while berserk/suicidal.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 02:40:02 am »

Nope. My fortress was tantrum-spiraling and my thresher (read: hauler) was about three squares away from where the migrant popped up when he went insane. The migrant wave actually stopped after the guy got wacked. I can see it now...

Urist McMigrantOne: So, this is Goldenage, eh? Looks like things are coming along smoothly enough.
Urist McMigrantTwo: Good thing, the wife and 12 nobles are starting to get antsy. Hey, who's that?
Urist McMigrantOne: Greeting, good sir! We have come to join your wondrous fortre-
Urist McThresher: RAAAAHGAA! *Punches Urist McMigrantOne's brains out*
Urist McMigrantTwo: I WANT TO LIVE! *flees*

Juxtap0se

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:48:44 am »

Urist McMigrantOne: So, this is Goldenage, eh? Looks like things are coming along smoothly enough.
Urist McMigrantTwo: Good thing, the wife and 12 nobles are starting to get antsy. Hey, who's that?
Urist McMigrantOne: Greeting, good sir! We have come to join your wondrous fortre-

i LOL'd
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.
Elayne Boosler

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 03:42:40 pm »

Did you reclaim? This tends to happen if you reclaim after abandoning a fort that still had dwarves in it (can't remember if they have to be unhappy at the time). The dwarves will sometimes come back as part  of a migrant wave while berserk/suicidal.

Doesn't even have to be a reclaim. If you start a new fort in the same world migrants will come from the old fort to the new one. Had a couple migrants show up and immediately go melancholy one time.

Nope. My fortress was tantrum-spiraling and my thresher (read: hauler) was about three squares away from where the migrant popped up when he went insane. The migrant wave actually stopped after the guy got wacked. I can see it now...

There goes that glorious fortress reputation. Only way that could have been worse better is if another of the migrants was a hunter and one-shotted the thresher in retaliation.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 05:25:00 pm »

And while doing the reclaim, I get ambushed by one of the survivors, a legendary miner who went berserk.

Fuck me.

EDIT: Reclaim dead; miner killed them all.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:32:58 pm by InfinityOrNone »

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 09:19:40 pm »

Doesn't even have to be a reclaim. If you start a new fort in the same world migrants will come from the old fort to the new one. Had a couple migrants show up and immediately go melancholy one time.

Really, that's understandable. If I saw a dwarf fort, I might get a bit depressed that I would have to live there.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 01:37:44 am »

And while doing the reclaim, I get ambushed by one of the survivors, a legendary miner who went berserk.

Fuck me.

EDIT: Reclaim dead; miner killed them all.

Miners are without a doubt, the worst non-military dwarf to go berserk. Mining is used as a weapon skill when combat is involved with a pick used as the weapon, and picks have a TINY impact point which means they do a lot of damage.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.