Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: You Own a Tavern [suggestion game]  (Read 4562 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Own a Tavern [suggestion game]
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2013, 02:57:04 am »

I still think we need more information before we can make useful decisions.

For example, in my head based on my own assumptions, we have a terrible beer shortage right now. We have 15 chairs, and only 10 units of beer and 5/day production? So we have capacity for fifteen patrons at a time, but only the ability to supply 5 beers a day? That's...isn't going to work, unless the "units" of beer we have in storage and production are kegs rather than individual servings. And personally, when I go out drinking...I never get just one. If I'm going to go out to a tavern, I'd probably get 2-3 drinks with my meal over the course of an hour. So that 5/day is enough to serve 2-3 people.

If we're open 12 hours a day...15 chairs times 12 hours is 180 chair/hours worth of capacity. If the average patron stays one hour and drinks 2 beers...our production capacity is enough to accommodate 2.5 / 180 of patron capacity. Even if we only have 10% uptime...we don't have nearly enough beer.

To me it looks like we have a major problem here, and the first thing we need to do is immediately increase our production capacity. But...I suspect this whole thing is probably a case of me personally making a very different set of assumptions than the GM is. If in this gameworld it's normal for individuals to go to a tavern...alone rather than with friends, order one drink, nurse it for an hour then leave...and if it's normal for taverns to have 15 chairs, but no more than 1 customer at a time with several hours between them...then maybe this problem I'm seeing isn't an issue. But that seems very strange to me. As it is, if we have more than one person order a single beer every two and a half hours...we're not making enough beer.

Some of us are talking about hiring servers. Well, ok...but again, look at the above. Do we really need to hire somebody to handle one customer every couple hours? Or maybe food and drink customers are separate and distinct,  nobody orders a drink with their meal, and we'll be serving both types of customer. So, one customer every hour or so? I still don't see that requiring hired help, especially when we could be serving customers ourselves and getting skill gains for it.

This is why I want to see a typical day. Right now, I don't have a good sense of what the norm is in this world.

Based solely on the available information, Research recipes and food/drink preservation, improve beer production capacity, hire no staff

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 05:27:24 am »

Er, I think the GM would've given us enough stuff to last us at least through the first serving phase while he teaches us how it works. I doubt its anything like you've made it out to be. But hey, who knows?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2013, 12:05:37 pm »

Well, first off LordBucket, the base of your argument, though perhaps not the argument itself, is flawed. You are basing how much you think someone's going to drink on your personal habits. When a. Tis not the 21st century meaning b. The ale/beer probably doesn't taste very good, ambience is gonna be shitty, no health codes to speak of, etc., thus c. We can't assume how much they're going to want drinks until we see what customers the GM brings us. But I do agree that we need more brewing capacity, if a beer unit is a pint and not a keg.

I doubt we'll see many customers for a while, as we're the new kids on the block (in my mind, five people a day is a bit generous, at least for now), but I still think a cheap serving wench would serve far better than trying to do it ourselves. We should be cooking and preserving food, tending to our beer and to the people at the bar area, not moseying about serving food and sweeping. (she'd only do that if there was nothing else for her to do, of course)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 12:07:37 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2013, 01:12:46 pm »

Just back home, but unfortunately I couldn't type much on my keyboard right now (for the noise will keep waking people up).

As I said, we are having time dilation here. Even if we are working at peak capacity we probability can't serve more than 30 or 50 (which is something I'm still pondering on) today.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2013, 02:36:02 pm »

Well, first off LordBucket, the base of your argument, though perhaps not the argument itself, is flawed. You are basing how much you think someone's going to drink on your personal habits. When a. Tis not the 21st century meaning b. The ale/beer probably doesn't taste very good, ambience is gonna be shitty, no health codes to speak of, etc., thus c. We can't assume how much they're going to want drinks until we see what customers the GM brings us. But I do agree that we need more brewing capacity, if a beer unit is a pint and not a keg.

I doubt we'll see many customers for a while, as we're the new kids on the block (in my mind, five people a day is a bit generous, at least for now), but I still think a cheap serving wench would serve far better than trying to do it ourselves. We should be cooking and preserving food, tending to our beer and to the people at the bar area, not moseying about serving food and sweeping. (she'd only do that if there was nothing else for her to do, of course)
Actually, while you are right, you are partly wrong about the reason he is right. While his habits are a poor choice if you're looking for exact numbers, it works for a Fermi calculation--e.g, one where if you're within an order of magnitude you're good. Regardless of the exact drinking habits of our customers, we have a problem...if each unit is one mug.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2013, 03:26:16 pm »

The Tavern isn't going to see steady customers through the day.  You are going to have little food selling outside the lunch and dinner rush and most of the booze is going to move during and after the dinner rush.  So 15 chairs doesn't mean close to the capacity for 180 covers in a day.  You are probably looking at 30-45.  Of coure it all depends.  I've been to dive bars where there were four times as many customers as seats and they were standing around eating pizza off paper plates (rich college students are the best market ever in history).  But you still aren't going to see steady customers day round.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2013, 03:28:25 pm »

15 chairs means that, at some point, you expect 15 customers.

If we only make 5 mugs of beer a day, we've overstocked our bar as far as chairs go.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2013, 03:31:45 pm »

This is valid, just not to the order of magnitude the initial calculation showed.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2013, 03:53:54 pm »

The Tavern isn't going to see steady customers through the day.

I think you missed this part:

Even if we only have 10% uptime...we don't have nearly enough beer.

15 chairs doesn't mean close to the capacity for 180 covers in a day.  You are probably looking at 30-45.

My calculations suggested 18 customer/hours per day. You appear to be suggesting we'll have double what I estimated. We have a production capacity of 5 units of beer per day. Assuming a unit is a single serving, and assuming your estimate is accurate, we produce enough beer to serve between one out of six and one out of nine of our customers with a single glass of beer.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2013, 09:29:59 pm »

Very good, carry on.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2013, 09:33:30 pm »

15 chairs doesn't mean close to the capacity for 180 covers in a day.  You are probably looking at 30-45.

My calculations suggested 18 customer/hours per day. You appear to be suggesting we'll have double what I estimated. We have a production capacity of 5 units of beer per day. Assuming a unit is a single serving, and assuming your estimate is accurate, we produce enough beer to serve between one out of six and one out of nine of our customers with a single glass of beer.
I just realized. Maybe we're meant to buy more beer in bulk from a supplier to fill the gap until we get production up?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2013, 11:37:14 pm »

A unit of food is NOT a single serving. As I said we are not offering boiled cabbages (and even so expect using up 2+ potions.

Anyway I want to see some consensus on actions before moving onto the the activities in the morning.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2013, 04:58:41 am »

+1 to Shark's Fin.

+1

start researching a better way to preserve our foodstuffs!

+1
Invent salty barnuts

+1

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2013, 12:05:29 pm »

This isn't dead yet.

Khronicle of Activities - Independent Report Organization News!
Today, a new tavern called Shark's Fin opened its doors in [yet unnamed port city]. Ol Barkeep says he would try his best to serve his patrons the best food and the best service.
We look forward to their future activities.

Despite this Chronicle was only posted on in the town centre on a board, there is still enough audiance. Fame + 5!

Your Activities during the day:

start researching a better way to preserve our foodstuffs!
You figure that you need 30 research points to start researching!

Invent salty barnuts
But you think you can invent salty barnuts only using 20 research points and 6 Energy!
You need 1 set of salt and 1 set of Nuts to start research, but you have none, so you bought 20 dry nuts for 20!
You also bought 20 salt for 40!
[Cooking: 8] You started working! 6d8 = 2,8,5,5,8,4 = 32 > 20! You succeed!
(receipe of salty barnuts is now added to your inventory)

You dug out some extra beer. You now have 20 servings!
You are almost ready to start business but you amazingly still find the time to do something.

With your current fame level you expect you will have 5-10 patrons for the day.

Spoiler: Shark's Fin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Manpower (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: receipes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: notes (click to show/hide)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2013, 12:51:38 pm »

How do we get more research points? Do we earn them by serving customers perhaps? Or maybe we're assigned a number of them each day?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4