Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Ancient Shores- Hatman's D&D  (Read 14504 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Shores- Hatman's D&D
« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2013, 10:25:44 pm »

You can always join the waitlist. Someone needed to be cut, and your character was deemed shy of snuff.
Oh, I'll be on the waitlist. Can I ask why it was below-par?
In the main, I just didn't find your backstory/description to be compelling enough.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2013, 10:35:38 pm »

Yeah, okay. I'll speak Common and Celestial. I'll forgo the other language because I don't think my character would have ever found the need to be trilingual.

As for what Davy looks like, he usually wears a long, waterproof, leather jacket, pair of cutlasses at his hips, a purple bandana around his neck, black trousers, a vest covered in pockets, shiny black boots, and a wide-brimmed cavalier hat like so but with a pair of eagle pinions instead of that tacky blue ornament. He has a pack on his back that contains many useful tools, such as rope, a collapsible 10-foot pole, rope, grappling hooks, a spyglass, rope, marbles, rope, marbles, marbles, and rope. Davy stands a few inches shy of 6 feet tall, and weighs 185-ish pounds. Despite his youthful appearance, Davy has long, iron gray hair and a ragged, short, goatee. Due to the long life granted to Lesser Aasimar, he has seen almost two hundred winters; more than a hundred of those spent on the sea.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2013, 10:36:59 pm »

Alright. You want me to make a map first, or get right to starting this up?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2013, 10:38:17 pm »

I am fine with ether, although I would sorta prefer even just a rough map. And don't worry about art quality, just a general sense of where stuff is.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2013, 10:40:39 pm »

How big do you want the scale? I can draw you anything from a sketch of the city to a sketch of the sea and surrounding land the city is on the coast of.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2013, 10:45:56 pm »

The surrounding area was what I was most interested in, to be honest.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2013, 02:50:54 am »

HURRAY FOR STARTING TIME!

Also: WOO I MADE THE CUT :3

Probably had something to do with being the only spellcaster who was complete, but WOO I MADE THE CUT :3
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:54:14 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2013, 12:39:50 pm »

Alright, here's a rough map of the area. You start off in Kael, towards the southern end of the Kaellith Valley, which is located in the south of Heltlandt.

EDIT: Southeastern Snowfields cleaned up a bit.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:48:56 pm by Remuthra »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 02, 2013, 12:57:31 pm »

OOOOO look, SEWERS!
I bet that's not gonna come into play at all. That is entirely there for fluff and not full of some beasties that we must kill for money and the pleasure of hearing them gasping their last evil breathe.

CHEKHOV! Er oh excuse me, I seem to have some kind of cough there :P

Indeed, I do this.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2013, 01:01:21 pm »

Nope. You're definitely not going to be asked at some point to go kill rats in the sewers. Nope, never going to happen.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2013, 01:25:53 pm »

And I bet that Old Chapel off that dirt path ISN'T full of monsters so vile that the priests have all fled long ago.
In fact I bet its not really old at all, its just called that cuz its like an old folks home for priests. Y'know the ones that didn't get eaten by necromancers infesting their chapel?

Ok in all seriousness, I have a question. What is with the "normal" priests in D&D? I mean I'm pretty sure anyone who is even vaguely a member of clergy can cast divine powers, so how are there any real threats to places like chapels and stuff? It would be like "oh hey, you know what we should do orc 2? What orc 1? We should raid that little building with a disproportionate amount of dudes who can rain holy fire on top of our heads! THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA ORC 1!"

Indeed, I do this.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2013, 01:35:48 pm »

Most priests of small town chapels or shrines would be a level one adept, expert or aristocrat. Which are pretty wimpy. And even if they can cast spells, they will only have a very few likely dedicated to healing. They won't be able to do much against someone with real damage dealing capability. Even the more competent priests would be only level two to three, with the same issue if not being that great at fighting. A few orcs would be a legit threat to a out of the way place.

Of course, more bad ass priests or bigger more important chapels and churches and such will have guys who can actually fight, and priests of warrior gods are going to be warriors. But in most iron agey settings that's not 'normal'.

Edit: To put it into prospective I would think the 'holy fire' you are referring to is about a third level or higher spell (such as Searing light or something). Which a adept is going get a level eight, or more likely as a level five cleric, because seriously who is important enough to gain eight levels but not important enough to have a PC class? Ether way, that's statistically only going to be in towns of like, 1,000+, if they are lucky. In a iron agey world where most people live in tiny villages of a few hundred that means most small towns won't have clerics of the power you are thinking of.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:49:20 pm by Criptfeind »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2013, 02:12:19 pm »

And the game has begun! I won't make an IC thread, since all IC communication is done by PM using me as a relay.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2013, 02:39:17 pm »

Alright, lets see how well this works!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2013, 02:40:36 pm »

Okay, I'm a little new to Play by Post. When I respond to your PM, should it be to everyone or just right back at you?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17