Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A peak at the future  (Read 3263 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: A peak at the future
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2013, 08:01:37 pm »

I have to say, reading this thread makes me realize that DF is the only game I'm aware of where the players not only enjoy updates that make the game more challenging, they revel in them and anticipate the worst, and THEN figure out how to efficiently turn these challenges into advantages and ways to destroy the world and its inhabitants even faster and more horrifically than ever before.

You guys are great.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 11:06:56 pm »

What about roots?
Finis sanctificat media.

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2013, 12:04:21 am »

What about roots?

Will we be able to cause ground fires that take years to burn out, flaring back to life every once in a while? Ones that might accidentally set all our dwarves on fire and kill everyone in a rooty holocaust? For that matter, can the same happen with bituminous coal?

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2013, 06:49:26 pm »

What about roots?

Will we be able to cause ground fires that take years to burn out, flaring back to life every once in a while? Ones that might accidentally set all our dwarves on fire and kill everyone in a rooty holocaust? For that matter, can the same happen with bituminous coal?

0  0
   \
  o

Awesome mental image.

Mental image, you say?
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2013, 08:35:10 pm »

What about roots?

0  0
   \
  o

Awesome mental image.

Mental image, you say?

Yeah, I was thinking about just that.

I know. That's why I linked to it, for the benefit of our fellow forumites.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 03:52:36 am »

I can't wait to see how are they going to fall down on the ground and possible weaponizations of that.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 07:20:37 pm »

Its been a long time, but I seem to remember coal and peat being ignitable back in 40d.

Let me google for that to be sure.

*edit

I can't find any references, but I do distinctly remember having a peat floor catch on fire once. That does not mean anything though, as I could be having a senior moment. (I DID turn 31 on the 26th)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:27:24 pm by wierd »

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 12:06:01 am »

Its been a long time, but I seem to remember coal and peat being ignitable back in 40d.

Let me google for that to be sure.

*edit

I can't find any references, but I do distinctly remember having a peat floor catch on fire once. That does not mean anything though, as I could be having a senior moment. (I DID turn 31 on the 26th)

Happy birthday! I should bake you a !!cake!! I guess.*

A peat floor could have grown cave moss, which is flammable. So maybe it was something like that?

*I make a cake which I dub "fire cake" for lack of a more creative name. It's just a spice cake from a mix, but with two minced habenero peppers in it and topped with a rum glaze. It's a cake that bites back!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 02:01:30 am »

Reminds me of the "Habanero brownies" I made once.

Basically, just brownie mix brownies, where you take the water component for the mix, put it in a pressure cooker with cracked habanero pepper seeds with 2 tbs of everclear (distilled grain alcohol) for a few minutes until the seeds are completely cooked, strain, then prepare as if normal water.

This produces a "highly capcasin enriched" brownie, with nearly none of the pepper flavor. Amusingly, the resulting brownie has a delayed effectiveness of about one to two seconds after it enters the mouth, because of all the oils present in the brownie. (chocolate, veggie oil in the mix, etc.)

Amusingly, I concocted the diabolical confectionery as a consequence of what happened on one of my birthdays many many years ago... Ahh.. Memories. :D

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 02:19:28 am »

Calling Everclear "highly distilled grain alcohol" is rather like calling a dwarf, "occasionally tipsy and with slight belligerent tendencies." They make the stuff at 190 proof! And that's only because you can't get it more alcoholic than that!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 03:03:43 am »

IIRC, there is a brand of bottled water called everclear as well.  Hence the disambiguation. Also, Everclear isn't available in all national marketplaces, due to import restrictions-- It being essentially paint thinner and all.
Pages: 1 2 [3]