Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: So I explained Dwarf Fortress to my family last night  (Read 15665 times)

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I explained Dwarf Fortress to my family last night
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2013, 02:32:22 am »

Still amusing
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 01:03:13 pm »

I've told my sister, and she ocasionally looks over my shoulder and asks me, "what is happening?"
Last night, she came and said: "Wow! that is your land?!"
"Yes, and see those little happy faces? They're my dwarves. Also, see that red stuff all over the map?"
(Had a particcularly bad siege)
"Yeah?"
"It's blood. And corpses.Wanna hear the story?"
"No but can you tell me how to expand your land"
After I told her you can't expand in DF she stopped paying attention.
I do have a couple of friends who are REALLY interested in DF.
You can expand your land quite a bit, man. Down.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 01:20:00 pm »

Well, you do have to earn the land under you, in a sense.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

sandant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2013, 01:28:27 pm »

My sister saw me playing and asked what I was doing, the whole concept of Z-Axis almost lost her, but when I showed her that each Dwarf had an entire personality page she declared it had too many "Big words". So close and yet....

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2013, 02:46:01 pm »

No one in my family is really much of a gamer except my older brother. But even he thought Europa Universalis was too complicated and that the graphics "suck," so I can only imagine what he'd think of DF!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Scionwoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2013, 05:25:19 pm »

Of course dwarf fortress graphics sucks, you would have to have never even heard of it to think otherwise. The text telling you what happen is not graphics. Of course, graphics doesn't mean jack shit to me and I greatly enjoy dwarf fortress... I am just trying to make a point.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 06:03:16 pm »

I just wish that toady would use color names that aren't so obscure.

Seriously, "ecru"?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All other complaints I have stem from lack of depth in certain interactions, like in the kitchens, or what you can (or rather, what you can't) do with plant extracts and the like.  I overlook such issues because the game is very much a WiP, and if toady keeps hammering on it, it will eventually get such refinements.  It's come quite a ways since 40d, when I first dabbled my toes in the bloody water, after all.

I'm too old to be explaining DF to my elderly mum, and don't really need to. Mostly, the issue has been getting friends of mine to look past the lib curses retro feel, and see that it isn't. Something running inside an emulator from the 70s.

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 08:28:26 pm »

So I told my friend about my volcano embark, and my first miner falling into the volcano in the first year, followed by my third (or second still living..) miner falling down the well construction site, breaking his lower spine and now crabbing through the fort as legendary miner.
He laughed his ass off, which proves I'm not weird  ;)
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2013, 12:19:06 am »

"You build a fortress."

That is all I explain. It never benefits to say more than that.

Yerv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2013, 02:10:26 am »

I've told my friend about it a few times and he just doesn't seem interested, he does play a lot of dark souls though, so I can't really argue.
I've also explained and told my family about the happenings in my fortresses and villages, I rat out the most gruesome tales to tell too, like the time I created a "baby nursing room" with the help of some hungry giant centipedes and some undesirable breast fed younglings. They actually enjoy that story the most.

Cammurabi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2013, 10:07:54 am »

I tried to explain it to the wife back before z levels and she was super confused by the ascii. Now I run graphics for it and it makes a bit more sense to her, but she can't visualize the z's. She'd much rather I go clean up the backyard I'm sure.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2013, 04:03:17 pm »

My attempt to show my wife was like embarking on a volcano. Brief, uneventful and very short lived.

I had started a fort and my hunter was tearing through a pack of emu that were on the map. He left one alive but badly wounded when he ran out of his starting ammo. I showed my wife the report on the emu's condition to show her just how detailed the combat and wounding system was.

The first and only words out of her mouth was... "His lung is fractured? uhhhh right." before walking away, leaving me to try, and fail, to explain why a part of the body with no bones can fracture and how awesome the combat system was. I don't think I'll get her hooked any time soon.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2013, 01:38:37 pm »

You kids are failing miserably here.  How you need to explain it is that you keep getting frustrated by chronically confusing cassiterite and sphalerite when you have no hematite, magnetite or limonene because you had hoped to do  a bronze embark, being almost as good as iron.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 07:42:02 pm »

What seems to confuse people the most is the fact that they can't properly distinguish between floor and wall tiles, and the fact that terrain on a lower level 'fades'. A friend of mine managed pretty well when he got underground, with the black space surrounding his awkward tunnels.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2013, 02:02:58 pm »

Where is the ++ button for Cmega3?   ;)
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5