Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: This Dwarf Likes Slade, I want a hammer (or a whip!)  (Read 9492 times)

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This Dwarf Likes Slade, I want a hammer (or a whip!)
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2013, 05:02:17 am »

I'm with wierd. Though I have not weaponised minecarts myself, I've heard they are very effective as a defence system if loaded with heavy objects. Loaded with slade.. Better keep your dwarves off the tracks otherwise a fine pink mist is all that's going to be left.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 05:20:42 am »

I'm with wierd. Though I have not weaponised minecarts myself, I've heard they are very effective as a defence system if loaded with heavy objects. Loaded with slade.. Better keep your dwarves off the tracks otherwise a fine pink mist is all that's going to be left.

They are effective, but reloading the carts takes a lot of time/dwarfpower. A watercannon can be refilled automatically, cycled and fired much faster.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 07:42:19 am »

They are effective, but reloading the carts takes a lot of time/dwarfpower. A watercannon can be refilled automatically, cycled and fired much faster.
Yeah but...Slade...
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2013, 07:59:32 am »

Yeah but...Slade...
Yah, I'm looking for some slade based novelty. Seeing all the dwarves in a slade stockpile scurrying to drop boulders into the central pit before the clowns make it to the top would most certainly be less effective then masterpieces of dwarven engineering.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:04:01 pm by edgefigaro »

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2013, 11:17:27 am »

Was just messing around with raws and think I might have found something very game breaking. And it most likely will NOT require a world regen.

Under items_weapon there is can_stone tag which "Allows the weapon to be made at a craftsdwarf's workshop from a sharp ([MAX_EDGE:10000] or higher) stone (e.g. obsidian) plus a wood log."

Adding  can_stone to an existing worlds raws enables obsidian war hammers to be made at a craftsdorfshop.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Weapon_token

Slade is MAX_EDGE:1000, changing it to MAX_EDGE:10000 will enable slade short swords (and hammers...)

If you could try this out and then test out the weapon's effectiveness for us it would be much appreciated.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2013, 02:09:55 pm »

Was just messing around with raws and think I might have found something very game breaking. And it most likely will NOT require a world regen.

Under items_weapon there is can_stone tag which "Allows the weapon to be made at a craftsdwarf's workshop from a sharp ([MAX_EDGE:10000] or higher) stone (e.g. obsidian) plus a wood log."

Adding  can_stone to an existing worlds raws enables obsidian war hammers to be made at a craftsdorfshop.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Weapon_token

Slade is MAX_EDGE:1000, changing it to MAX_EDGE:10000 will enable slade short swords (and hammers...)

If you could try this out and then test out the weapon's effectiveness for us it would be much appreciated.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 02:14:02 pm »

I also put [CAN_STONE] on whips, morningstars, mauls and flails, but I can't make those at the craftdwarfshop... Maybe they'll mood.

Edit: And a animal caretaker just claimed a craftdwarfs shop. This is the first time I have ever been happy to see a craftdwarfshop claimed.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2013, 02:19:29 pm »

First slade warhammer is exceptional. I gave it to my best hammerdwarf. It weighs eighty Urists. In comparison, a silver warhammer weighs 4.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2013, 02:24:43 pm »

I also put [CAN_STONE] on whips, morningstars, mauls and flails, but I can't make those at the craftdwarfshop... Maybe they'll mood.

That's because they aren't dwarf craftable weapons. And rock weapons never mood. Craftdwarves shop always gives useless trinket. Not even a gold menaced raw adamantine nest box for the king's pet pigeons.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2013, 02:41:03 pm »

Siege! Lashers, speargobs x2, and swordgoblins.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2013, 03:09:33 pm »

Just a warning, this happened with modding in platinum weapons once, your enemies might bring slade weapons to the battlefield.

Can you post a battle report?

Also does the slade war hammer (or WAMMER!) make the enemies go flying or explode into gore?
    e    e   e    U   U     
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2013, 03:22:51 pm »

There were problems with the siege in terms of viable sladehammer combat reports. There had only been one slade hammer equiped and my secondbest hammerdwarf, to whom I had just assigned my second warhammer. had wandered outside to pick up some item or another while he had no weapon. He got jumped by 2 full squads of goblins, so I undrafted him, so he reverted to a fishery worker and ran. The rest of the miltary got sent out, the human caravan got in the way, and things rapidly became a shitshow.

Long story short, slade warhammer hammerdwarf spent his entire siege chasing one single goblin far away from the battlefield that was in turn chasing hammerdwarf squadmate turned fishery worker. He evenutally saved his friend. The combat report lasted 3 lines:
Goblin Spearman misses militia captain.
Militia captain bashes spearmen in lower left leg, chipping the bone.
Militia captain bashes spearmen in head, bruising muscle, jamming the skull through the brain, tearing the brain.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2013, 03:40:00 pm »

Clearly you need to cage and pit victims into an area for further testing. Or if the traders are still around....
    e    e   e    U   U     
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2013, 04:02:33 pm »

I need to spend the next year mass pitting goblinite. I promoted hammerdwarf captain to hammerer. Now I just need to ignore my nobles.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2013, 04:03:25 pm »

[Error]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:08:37 pm by edgefigaro »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4