Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 2349

Author Topic: Twilight Academy - School Thread - Orientation Day!  (Read 1244919 times)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight Academy - School Thread - Orientation Day!
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2013, 10:47:18 pm »

{Alright, so combat in this is going to be stat-based, with the stats being the following:

STR and END
DEX and AGI
MAG and SPI

Each one paired with another. Essentially, the first stat of each pair has to do with how good something is in a burst, that is, a single round. it's how much magic you can channel at once, how much you can lift, and how fast you are. The second is always useful for Extended Actions, and covers your long-term staying power.}
((So I take it END is, well, Endurance, but what's Agility do? How long you can concentrate on fine tasks?))

"The... the last part... wait... t-test subjects...?!" Selina's eyes go huge in fright!
"Sure! Say for instance someone asks me to give them improved climbing abilities. How do you give them that? There are a whole bunch of different ways, and some of them will work better than others, especially when you take scaling and similar problems into account. Maybe I give them a different surface on their limbs that can stick to what they want to climb. Maybe I give them a couple of extra dextrous limbs. Maybe I give them the ability to attach themselves to things with webs. To know what would work best, I need examples of those systems in other creatures, and to then test those creatures abilities! And then there's ecosystem-crafting, and you wouldn't believe how complicated and how many tests you need for those. As for my goals, like I said, I'm here for a whole bunch of reasons. Part of it is because there are likely lots of people here that want Improvements, part of it is because there are likely lots of people here who have abilities that can inspire Improvements, part of it is because this is place should have access to lots of interesting materials and information and other people with similar interests and who knows what else! Also, part of it is because, like I said before, I have a lot of expenses, and hopefully I can offset them here!"

"Really? I might take you up on your offer, assuming you can actually do it. Improvements sound nice."
"Sure thing! I don't work for free though, I have a lot of expenses and limited time, so it has to be worth my while!"
"I can probably scrounge something up with my abilities. Still, I'd like to see some sort of demonstration of what you can do before I go through with it."
"Fair enough!"
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 26, 2013, 10:49:05 pm »

Angel glances at her card. Still Delta. Well, they're all going in the same direction...Angel follows Selina, the second person here who hasn't been shown to be crazy, and the first of them who hasn't picked her up without asking or anything.

Selina's eyes flash red for a moment at the mention of knives, but it passes quickly. She gets even more nervous though. "I... I don't like to... to fight... a-a-at all..." Selina looks at her feet, obviously embarrassed.
"It's okay. I don't like fighting either. Most people don't. It's normal."

"Im-im-im-improvements...? wh-wh-wh-what do you... mean...?" Selina has no idea what she means.
"I'm a Fleshwarper. Improvements are, well, improvements. Want better hearing or sight? Want to be faster, or have hidden pockets, or to get rid of an old injury? Improoovements~! And they don't have to be for you, you could get me to fix a pets health problems, or make you a custom animal!"
Angel began compiling a list of things she'd ask this guy to do if he turned out to be...well, competent and not too insane.

((I'll add my points soon enough...))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2013, 10:51:27 pm »

"Uh... um... I... I don't know... know any im-improvements i would... would fine useful... er... m-m-maybe later...?" Selina looks very nervous about everything, a little overwhelmed, glancing at Angel and realizing something. Shes a little girl!!! Selina takes a step back in surprise.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 26, 2013, 10:55:20 pm »

{Since the topic has come up, here's how magic works:

In School Time, you have plenty of time to work, so within reason I'll allow most things.

In Mission Time, however, you have only moments to do your work, and (excepting Technics) all actions are completed in approximately one second or less. Therefore, rolling is required.

This is done quite simply:

Any spell starts with the following stats:

Effective Level 1
Touch
Difficulty 10%
Cost 1

This basically means that it can be cast with only a single point in a spell ability, has no range, costs one Power Point to use, and will succeed on a roll of 10 or more.

in order to add features to a spell, you can either increase its Difficulty or its Cost. Depending on the exact feature you want to add to a spell, you might need more levels or Cost to pay for it.

For example, to make a spell Range 1 instead of Touch (that is, it can be used in melee instead of requiring you to be in physical contact with the target), you need to increase either the Difficulty or Cost of the spell by 5.

There are more Features, which shall be explained as they are revealed, but here are the basic ones:

Elemental Affinity: Attunes the spell to an element or force. increases Cost or difficulty by 1.

Burst: Causes the spell to deal Area of Effect damage. This can cause friendly fire. Increases Cost or Difficulty by 5

Effect Boost (Level) causes the attack to deal extra damage. Normally, attacks cause a single d20 in damage or healing. With this, you add another dice per level. Increases Cost or Difficulty by 25.

Range (Level) lets the spell be used from (Level)spaces away from the target. 5 Cost or Difficulty.

Status Effect (Type) (Level): Causes a status effect, which can range from poison to a strength boost. Variable depending on Type and how effective it is.}

All of this is subject to change with no notice, and I'm still working the kinks out.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:57:41 pm by ragnarok97071 »
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2013, 11:04:07 pm »

"Uh... um... I... I don't know... know any im-improvements i would... would fine useful... er... m-m-maybe later...?" Selina looks very nervous about everything, a little overwhelmed, glancing at Angel and realizing something. Shes a little girl!!! Selina takes a step back in surprise.
"...What did I say?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2013, 11:10:43 pm »

Selina realizes she hurt Angel's feelings and bends her knees so shes at eye level with her, looking kinda embarrassed.

"N-n-nothing... its... its just... I didn't expect someone... someone so young to be... be here..." Selina gives a small smile.
[/quote]

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2013, 11:11:01 pm »

Jared Magnum abruptly atomizes for no specific reason. This is seen by nobody and his passing goes unthought of for the rest of the game.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2013, 11:12:41 pm »

Kyle turns to Vanessa.
"I-I guess you have me on your team?"
He appears very nervous.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2013, 11:12:51 pm »

Selina realizes she hurt Angel's feelings and bends her knees so shes at eye level with her, looking kinda embarrassed.

"N-n-nothing... its... its just... I didn't expect someone... someone so young to be... be here..." Selina gives a small smile.
"Oh. Um, well, I'm here..."
Sig

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2013, 11:14:21 pm »

Vornar completely forgets who he is supposed to be following and instead begins exploring, hoping to figure out which team he is on along the way.
Does anyone know which team I'm on?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2013, 11:15:07 pm »

"Er... n-not that I think you... you shouldn't be... its just... um... uh..." Selina looks confused, and embarrassed, always messing these things up.
[/quote]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2013, 11:16:29 pm »

"Oh, it's okay...you know, you're the only person here who's nice and not crazy. I mean, that one girl gave me this neat stool, but I think she only did it because I complained when she picked me up. It was really rude."
Sig

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2013, 11:18:23 pm »

Vornar completely forgets who he is supposed to be following and instead begins exploring, hoping to figure out which team he is on along the way.
Does anyone know which team I'm on?

"T-that's... U-um... y-you're in mine..."
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2013, 11:19:05 pm »

Oh? Alright then. Lead on. Who are you again, by the way?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 26, 2013, 11:19:33 pm »

<Not crazy... if only she knew...>

"Um.. I promise not to... to pick you... you up if you don't... don't want me too... um... th-thanks..." Selina looks a little more relaxed as she gets to know Angel.

((For those wondering, i'm used to using <> to signify thoughts.))
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 2349