Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-Fortress Challenge  (Read 773 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multi-Fortress Challenge
« on: July 23, 2013, 12:03:39 am »

Didn't see a better forum for this thread. Here goes:

I thought up an interesting challenge in my waterfall-that-goes-in-two-directions-essentially-giving-me-three-landmasses fort. On a single embark map, divide your dwarves into several categories, and assign them different areas of the map. Build them their areas, and then seal them in. From that point on, you have multiple mini-fortresses, that may only grow via careful use of migrants/bridges. Or have one main fortress that takes all the migrants, trades, etc, while the others are smaller, generational fortresses.

Each fortress must have its own food source, booze source, etc, be capable of crafting its own materials of every kind for its current and growing population, and defend itself against sieges, FB, etc. If you feel like pitting squads from the multi-fortresses against each other, that's up to you.

Ideas:

-Embark over a river that splits in multiple directions, each landmass gets its own multifortress
-Surface/Underground/Caverns

Flavor Suggestions:

Give each multifortress a theme: Dwarf Hippies, animal lovers, warriors, etc.
If you're doing a succession game, the multifortresses could be rebels, outcasts, survivalist types, etc.

This would be a good way to ensure the fortress lives on in case of extreme !!fun!!, and an interesting way to do !!science!! !!FUN Science!!

Bonus points if you do this straight from embark. 3x male/female pair multi-fortresses, 1x female multifortress?

.....do dwarves breed by spore, like animals?
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Fortress Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 12:09:31 am »

You need to trigger a loyalty cascade in the middle fortress.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:38:21 am »

Dwarves reproduce by spore, but only with their spouses.  No marriages should occur across miniforts since individuals in isolated sectors will not get a chance to socialize with each other.  If a married couple enters your fort, they could reproduce across any gap, but you could just put them both in the same shard of your fort and take advantage of the shared bed.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 12:46:18 am »

Have one above-ground fort that only uses below-ground materials and one below-ground fort that only uses above-ground materials. The third fort does only non-production work (bookkeeping, military, trade, etc.) and survives entirely on finished goods from the other two forts. The third fort also contains a distribution center, where raw materials and finished goods from both production forts and the trade depot are all sorted and sent off for further use/processing.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 01:56:01 am »

How about a DF Little Lamplight with only dwarven children in it? Enable labors on them with DT.