Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Once a dwarf has an "infected" wound, is he done for?  (Read 1230 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Once a dwarf has an "infected" wound, is he done for?
« on: July 22, 2013, 11:06:41 pm »

they've been getting regular access to good healthcare, but I got a few that I've seen with infected in purple letters...  I figured if rotting flesh can be excised, why not infections... any info?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Once a dwarf has an "infected" wound, is he done for?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:08:57 am »

Healthcare can't do anything to infections.

Infections just are there. Sometimes they kill, sometimes don't. Sometimes they kill after years.

Only way to fight against infections in preventing them with clean water and soap.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 06:45:56 am »

I don't know the exact mechanics behind infection, but you want your injured dwarves being treated asap, so be sure to have doctors around and ready to attend patients when needed. I'm not sure if levels in the used skill has an effect on preventing infection.

Also: No Water < Mud-laced / Conamined water < Clean Water < Water + Soap. So a well close by, empty buckets and plenty of soap goes a long way with saving your dorfs.

The Disease Resistance attribute is also very important in helping injured dorfs avoid death to infection.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 06:48:55 am »

I had a dwarf in my hospital suffering a infection. After the doctor paid him a visit, the infection was not shown any more on his health screen. I don't understand the mechanics either.

Arek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 11:57:43 am »

Infections kill with delayed blood loss. So, one or two infected wounds are harmless to most dwarfs, three to four can be dangerous to some and only the dwarves with really strong recuperation abilities can outheal five or more infected wounds.
After the infection triggers the blood loss and the dwarf survives, its gone.
Also, I believe that apart from contaminated/stagnant/muddy water, its also possible to get infection when dwarf is treated by unskilled medic (sutures and surgery).

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 08:20:55 pm »

thanks really good to know, sounds like they don't die off simply because of infection, but it's based on their recovery, which was an important feature of my dwarf's for combat roles!  sweet!

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 10:41:32 pm »

I wonder if having access to gypsum plaster helps prevent infection.  I never used to have infection issues in my fortress, but in my latest one I'm seeing infections fairly regularly.  I have no gypsum, and the caravans bring very little.  I used up all my embark gypsum on a full body cast for some guy who wrestled a Minotaur to death.  I've been relying on splints ever since, which work, but seem to keep the area exposed to infection.  Dwarfs with casts in place of splints suffer no such infections.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?  There's a good chance this is just coincidence.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 12:02:16 am »

Do you have enough soap?  That does a lot towards my infections.

Usually my dwarves have infections going into the hospital, not after they've bandaged up.  It just takes a bit for the infection to clear.  Now, forget infections.  THIRST is what's killing my dwarves in the hospital.  Get to work, ya louts!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 03:26:08 am »

I wonder if having access to gypsum plaster helps prevent infection.  I never used to have infection issues in my fortress, but in my latest one I'm seeing infections fairly regularly.  I have no gypsum, and the caravans bring very little.  I used up all my embark gypsum on a full body cast for some guy who wrestled a Minotaur to death.  I've been relying on splints ever since, which work, but seem to keep the area exposed to infection.  Dwarfs with casts in place of splints suffer no such infections.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?  There's a good chance this is just coincidence.

Concidence, at least for me, I gave up using plaster cast because it didn't made a difference over splint to me. Soap and timely cleaning seem to help deal with infection a lot more. Broken nail will suffer infections too, and it don't heals in vanilla.

As for OP, I've seen infection healed away, it might take a while, but I have dwarves with infected broken nails and mentioned above, they don't heals. Infection can be prevened, somewhat, if the doctor have clean water and soap, otherwise it depends on dwarves healing it away along with their disease resistance.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 08:54:54 pm »

For the treatment of severe infections, I recommend the following: Get the patient on top of a floor hatch linked to a lever. Under the hatch, have a weapon trap with cutting weapons. More weapons means a bigger chance of success (and also a bigger chance of death). Then, pull the lever. If you're extremely lucky, the infected bodypart will be cut off.
-------------------------------------------------------------
The Noobazzah Medical Industries is not responsible for any decapitations, skewerings, punctured internal organs or excessive blood loss caused by the use of this product. Do not use this product under the influence of alcohol. Patients are recommended to wear a full suit of armor, except for the target body part.

UnlawfullyDeranged

• Bay Watcher
  • For every one, there will be one hundred more.
    • View Profile
    • 'Best War Animals'  'Clocks'
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 09:09:32 pm »

For more selective dismemberment, perhaps decent armor on everything except the infection? Or perhaps I'm responding literally to a joke. Eh.
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Just no cheesemakers.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 09:19:09 pm »

If you read the instructions carefully, you'll see that it is indeed recommended. I have used this actually, but let's just say that the mayor's expensive "Axin' Therapy" didn't turn out too well.