Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: FTL-Likes?  (Read 9517 times)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: FTL-Likes?
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2013, 09:18:33 pm »

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I found something that FTL geeks would enjoy on Kickstarter. Sadly, it doesn't have a lot of backing yet, but it looks really good thus far.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/173733054/beyond-black-space

Instant access to our private blog with weekly updates and inside scopes to the game.
Get a chance to talk to the developers, get early inside scoop and even discuss game concepts before they make it into the game.
PDF instruction manual with detailed back stories, equipment lists, tips and more.
Become part of the games universe. . . Portrait will be usable as the ships captain. . .

Honestly... looks like a crappy flash version of FTL, which already looks like a flash game. Couple that with an unpolished kickstarter page, especially when they talk about a great story...
I just don't think this group is ready for a kickstarter.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2013, 09:54:25 pm »

Grammar skills have no bearing on game design skills, beyond writing dialogue, which it looks like there will not be a lot of, and likely wouldn't sink a game such as this anyway. Nevermind the fact that the devs may not speak english as a first language, in which case their english is quite good! :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2013, 11:25:33 pm »

Grammar skills have no bearing on game design skills, beyond writing dialogue, which it looks like there will not be a lot of, and likely wouldn't sink a game such as this anyway. Nevermind the fact that the devs may not speak english as a first language, in which case their english is quite good! :P

Yes but lack of grammar often shows a lack of care.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2013, 12:24:56 am »

Have you tried Transcendence? The site is down right now, but it has some similarities to FTL and there's a hell of a lot of depth to it.

You take the role of a pilot trying to make their way to the Galactic Core. You can find components to upgrade your ship as you go, and replace your armor, shields and weapons. The equipment part of it is the best part in my eyes, but the combat is surprisingly fun too.

Ehrmagerd Transcendence is still being worked on??  <3 <3 <3

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2013, 12:34:26 am »

... maybe? Does look like the dev's back in communication on their forum for the first time in a while. Whether that means anything... *vague shrug* The last version was released back in december.

It would be pretty neat if it did kick off development again, though. Transcendence is a rather nice game. Especially with some mods to flesh it out a bit more.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2013, 02:06:01 am »

Grammar skills have no bearing on game design skills
No, but you need to be able to program computers to make a game, and writing with proper grammar is almost the same skillset as coding with proper syntax.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2013, 10:06:28 am »

I know you're teasing, but I'm going to be a bit serious in response. If I'm going to give money to an individual or group of individuals who created a kickstarter for their project, they have to fall into one of three categories.

A) They are professionals with a great track record and are just choosing a kickstarter as their way of funding. Star Citizen and Tides of Numenara fall into this category.
B) Whatever they do, they're being professionals about it even if they lack the proven history. I want to see dedication, passion, an eye for detail, etc.
C) The product is basically already out, and it doesn't matter whatever else is going on with what they're doing (unless it's illegal/bad), the product is just so awesome.

For this kickstarter, I don't see any evidence of A, but hey, that's not bad. What really gets me though is that it doesn't seem like they're being professionals. There are grammar errors, spelling errors and missing words. They are vague on a lot of things that are supposed to be about the pitch. Yeah, there's a certain degree of stuff you should hide so you don't just spoil everything, but I mean: "We have a really good story! Promise! We're even writing a book!" Really? That's all you're going to say about it?

What's more, it looks like whatever they have now, which may or may not be what they have in the future but it's the only thing I can judge them on currently, looks like something I could find on Kongregate. There are amazing flash games with great design, great story with obvious effort and love poured into the project. This whole thing looks like a 2- or 3-star rated "meh", except that they want money for it.

That's why I wasn't really hating on them that much. I didn't say that it was a scam, or they couldn't do it, I just said that I thought that they weren't ready for a kickstarter yet.

About Transcendence, I remember trying to play but could just not figure it out. I think this was many years ago, though. Have they improved on the whole "wtf am I doing and wtf am I supposed to be doing" thing?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]