Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: FTL-Likes?  (Read 9522 times)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: FTL-Likes?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 01:18:06 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:17:32 am by Toady One »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 01:26:48 pm »

Gonna guess it's "If you can't figure out how to play then it's not my problem" I've seen these games :P  Every day there's a 1d100 roll, determining what happens.  Within 100 days you will lose.  It's not the best system by any means, you EVENTUALLY will lose no matter what you attempt.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 01:28:32 pm »

Prospector definitely needed some more dev time.  It's not arbitrary in it's hardness, but it's a real endeavor grind to get a crew and ship that you can do mid-game stuff with.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 01:35:04 pm »

In any case, ship micromanagement is something I'm really interested in.  Where you can shuffle crew, upgrades, supplies, etc...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 01:37:47 pm »

I wish there were more ship management games. That was my favorite part of FTL, and even though it was the only thing SAIS was missing it really makes the game a lot less enjoyable.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 02:07:51 pm »

An RPG centering around the officers of a ship would be pretty awesome.  I've never played it, but Artemis sounds similar, though I don't think the appeal of the idea is limited to spaceships.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 02:11:26 pm »

I might suggest Gearhead 1 or 2. For sheer customization, gearhead 1 is the way to go. Granted, its a mech game and not a spaceship game, but the sheer amount of things you can do with your mech is astounding.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 02:11:32 pm »

I remember the KS game I mentioned! It's not... quite the same, and only currently available for Apple devices - but may be worth a look (Android coming "soon", PC coming "maybe eventually")

http://www.starcommandgame.com/home.html

Also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Command_(2013_video_game)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 02:21:33 pm »

An RPG centering around the officers of a ship would be pretty awesome.  I've never played it, but Artemis sounds similar, though I don't think the appeal of the idea is limited to spaceships.

Artemis is an amazing concept, and quite fun for a while (you really need a crew there IN PERSON though), but there's very little to actually /do/ last time I played.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 02:24:13 pm »

Artemis is an amazing concept, and quite fun for a while (you really need a crew there IN PERSON though), but there's very little to actually /do/ last time I played.

Artemis hits its peak as a PvP. As a co-op PvE game, it has some pretty severe limitations.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 02:29:22 pm »

Getting enough people together to PvP could only, in my mind, end up even more difficult. It would be awesome though. We never tried PVP, I don't even remember seeing the option. I'll look into it.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 02:35:49 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:13:07 am by Toady One »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 02:37:32 pm »

Starsector (formally starfarer) is fairly similar to FTL, though centers on a fleet rather than a single ship, and has a more advanced combat system. It's still early in development (and has been for several years) but the vanilla experience is worth the time as unfinished as it is, and it seems to have a quite active modding scene. You fly around a system, chasing or running from fleets to expand your own fleet and customize its weapons. There's a high degree of customization available, and many different ships. It does hit a wall eventually when you've got the fleet that you want, mainly because the exploration, faction interaction, and colonization aspects aren't in yet. Development pace has slowed to a crawl in the last couple months, though... I can only assume an update will be soon. I think it's a four man team, with only one guy coding it all. It's an extremely promising game in my opinion, so long as development doesn't stall.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 02:49:12 pm »

I remember the KS game I mentioned! It's not... quite the same, and only currently available for Apple devices - but may be worth a look (Android coming "soon", PC coming "maybe eventually")

http://www.starcommandgame.com/home.html

Also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Command_(2013_video_game)

I backed this, and it's a severe disappointment to what the initially promised. It is now nothing more than an 'on the rails' tactical battle game with very little in the way of customisation or things to do.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 02:59:48 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:12:52 am by Toady One »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6