Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: FTL-Likes?  (Read 9516 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
FTL-Likes?
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:00:23 am »

So I really like the theme of FTL, having a ship you upgrade by degrees, handle the crew, and explore random encounters deciding what to do and what to fight and what route to take.  The only problem is FTL ends after a relatively short game.

Anything on the same theme, but without such a hard ending?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: FTL-Likes?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 10:04:23 am »

This isn't quite what you want, but The Wager has you exploring a world with a ship and a crew and have all the wacky away missions like FTL. It's set in the Age of Sail though, not space. But it is free.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 10:09:23 am »

Strange Adventures in Infinite Space is a fairly similar game in most ways, but lacks the crew-handling component.

It's also pretty fun an addictive.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:38:22 am »

Strange Adventures in Infinite Space is a fairly similar game in most ways, but lacks the crew-handling component.

The new addition to the series is in dev at the moment and is worth keeping an eye on if you liked the others.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:12:58 am »

The new addition to the series is in dev at the moment and is worth keeping an eye on if you liked the others.

I think you mean this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weird_Worlds:_Return_to_Infinite_Space

I got that game, and it's entertaining. Combat is still outside of my understanding (Everything kills me. everything.) but the roguelike feel is awesome.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:19:57 am »

Quote from: CognitiveDissonance link=topic=128921.msg4425601#msg4425601 date=1
I think you mean this:
[url
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weird_Worlds:_Return_to_Infinite_Space[/url]

I got that game, and it's entertaining. Combat is still outside of my understanding (Everything kills me. everything.) but the roguelike feel is awesome.

I meant the third title in the series that is in development; Infinite Space 3, Sea of Stars. :)

They have some information on their website at: http://www.infinitespacegames.com/

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:22:41 am »

PTW
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 11:27:19 am »

X4: Rebirth, which is (supposedly) coming out later this year, features the player having a singular ship that they actually interact with inside and modify the ship to suit their needs. There's apparently a lot of customization planned, considering that it's the only ship the player can fully pilot (though there are pilot-able 'drones', IIRC). It'd be in 3D and lack a lot of the other stuff going on in FTL, but I think it'll still be something in the same sort of vein.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 11:30:05 am »

There was a Kickstarter game that was similar enough - spacecraft and crew. It dissapointed many contributors, but has conflicting reviews. Does anyone remember the name?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 11:43:54 am »

X4: Rebirth, which is (supposedly) coming out later this year, features the player having a singular ship that they actually interact with inside and modify the ship to suit their needs. There's apparently a lot of customization planned, considering that it's the only ship the player can fully pilot (though there are pilot-able 'drones', IIRC). It'd be in 3D and lack a lot of the other stuff going on in FTL, but I think it'll still be something in the same sort of vein.

Oh myyyy, that does sound interesting.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 12:48:17 pm »

http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

Prospector Roguelike, RL game based around exploring space, you have your ship which you can upgrade and your crew members although depending on how you play your crew can be treasured companions with their own relations and specialities or just a bunch of red-shirts to be the food of random beasts on planets.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 12:51:37 pm »

http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

Prospector Roguelike, RL game based around exploring space, you have your ship which you can upgrade and your crew members although depending on how you play your crew can be treasured companions with their own relations and specialities or just a bunch of red-shirts to be the food of random beasts on planets.

No

The development of that bug ridden torment was stopped during the crusades. It's nothing like a game, just rolling a dice to see if you instantly die.
It has the most "There is NOTHING you can do to survive this" events of any software in existence. It breaks it's own logic and rules constantly, and nothing is stable in it. Every planet will explode soon after you land it, every creature will go hostile, everything will fucking fall and die and your pilot will CRASH AT EVERY PLANET.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:54:10 pm by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 01:04:36 pm »

Psh coward, it's a pretty fun game even though development is halted. Also what logic and rules? It's a game about exploring dangerous planets and your sad that the planets are dangerous?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 01:07:37 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:18:08 am by Toady One »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 01:13:43 pm »

First off, both all of you: Shut up. If you start a fight, this will only devolve into madness, hatred, and anger.

Secondly:
Ascii Sector
Its a realtime rogueish-like (I stress ish and like. Its rather soft on death, and random encounters are rather lack luster.), based around solid trading mechanics, an enjoyable ship combat system, that includes boarding enemy ships (which I have yet to do, but really want to), an innovative group combat system based around your skill and your character's skill, and grinding. There is ALOT of grinding involved, if you're not willing to take risks, or are simply bad at combat, which can get rather difficult at times.

Edit: Also, the world will change around you: pirates will muscle into Confederation space, and large space battles will ensue. Fleets of both pirates and Confeds will fly around, and it's rather common to run into them in their respective space.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:18:27 pm by My Name is Immaterial »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6