Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will Sparkgear XIV last longer than Sparkgear XIII?

LONGER? LONGER? WE AIN'T GONNA SURVIVE FOUR DAYS!
- 10 (26.3%)
HELL NO. Twelve days, maximum.
- 1 (2.6%)
Maybe. We'll get to around two weeks or so.
- 4 (10.5%)
Hell yes! We'll survive a whole month!
- 3 (7.9%)
HELL YES! We may get up to a year on this one!
- 3 (7.9%)
WE'LL HIT A THOUSAND YEARS FOR THE GLORY OF THE DWARVEN EMPIRE!
- 17 (44.7%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Sparkgear XIV: A POX ON THOSE GOBLIN FIENDS FOR FOUNDERING MY SHIP!  (Read 7330 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkgear XIV: A POX ON THOSE GOBLIN FIENDS FOR FOUNDERING MY SHIP!
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2013, 01:27:30 pm »

Is the next turn still mine?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2013, 10:13:26 pm »

Is the next turn still mine?

When bp920091 is done, your turn will be up. I believe bp920091 had some real life issues that prevented the fortress progressing, and while I pushed back his turn he ended up taking two drunken days.

After Gnorm I will probably take my (second) turn. The list is in a mess and mostly "whoever is able to pick up the save", likely because of the delays in getting us started.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2013, 01:28:52 am »

A massive upswing in happiness has occured here, with everyone not being miserable (minus two stricken dwarves who cannot be healed).

The dual happiness generators are complete, a 5 wall unit and a 4x4 celing unit powered by FIVE water reactors (said water reactors always have discrepancies in consistent power, so, ive installed one more than needed).

The single lever that i have installed is designed for shutting off the WALL units (it's the labeled lever in the lower right corner of the dining hall).

25th Sandstone:

Mermaids sighted across the sea. Images of horrific things done in the name of science echo through my mind.

And, we have put all the dead dwarves to rest in this fortress. We may never cross the sea, but we can make our dead honored.

AN: Ten shots of vodka down and ive had issues writing down exactly what's happened (other than getting everything setup, it's basically been waiting and making sure that nothing has gone wrong).

Save is HERE
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2013, 02:06:07 am »

Cool! I'll get on this tomorrow.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2013, 07:20:37 pm »

Journal of Gnorm:

10th Timber, 107

My successor managed to save this outpost from complete destruction. Admirable, but now it’s once again time for me to make my mark on this base. I’ve decided to give up on my plans of an underground smuggling route, or, at the very least, put them on hold. The time has come, I’ve decided, build myself a personal headquarters for my criminal operations. I’ve switched my profession to that of a miner, and I’ve managed to obtain enough influence over the dwarves here to manage this task. I’ll begin tomorrow.

12th Timber, 107

The outpost liaison has arrived with the caravan, and the trading has commenced. As a precaution, the side entrances have been closed and the militia posted at the depot.

13th Timber, 107

As I had expected, the orcs have sent their thieves after us. The militia is preparing to cut them down.

18th Timber, 107

Recruited a peasant to build a roof over the external fortress; we’ve been under the sun for far too long. I’ve also ordered an increased production of metal and cut gems for my project.

19th Timber, 107

An orc thief made it into the tunnels today, and I ran right into it. It took a swipe at me, but I quickly dodged away, yelled for the guards, and made a run for it. I later found out that, as the militia was chasing the thief through the tunnel to the mainland, they ran into a bunch of kobolds and goblins trying to make their entry. We need to trap that tunnel before this gets out of hand.

23rd Timber, 107

“The Master” has just died of thirst. He shall be given a proper burial in the tombs.

25th Timber, 107

Today, a goblin thief crippled one of our speardwarves on the mainland and took away her infant child. Unfortunate, but this is just yet another reminder that we need better defenses.

22nd Moonstone, 107

Solon has finally begun work on his artefact; I’m eager to see how it turns out.

28th Moonstone, 107

The artefact has been finished, and it’s a very expensive blue granite coffer. I think it will go nicely in my HQ.

5th Opal, 107

I ordered the dwarves to pull the plug on the waterfall machine; it was making a lot of my men nervous.

20th Opal, 107

A forgotten beast has emerged from the darkness below, and is moving towards the fort at a remarkable speed. The military has gone into the depths to confront this beast, and I hope they repel it.

7th Obsidian, 107

The beast disappeared in the dark, and the military got tired of waiting. It was made of salt, though, so if it does try to attack, we’ll win.

Undertaker’s Report:

22nd Obsidian, 107

The dwarf known as “Gnorm” was shot and killed during a goblin ambush from the mainland. According to his journal, he claimed to be a criminal mastermind. Journal has been taken to the expedition leader for further analysis.

That's that. The save will be up soon.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/4s1uub195sn499c/SparkgearXIV(2).zip
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:45:50 pm by Gnorm »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2013, 09:08:54 am »

Alright. I'm going to take this save up.

ANYONE UP FOR THE NEXT TURN?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2013, 04:43:56 pm »

This will be my post for turn stuff, so it will be continuously updated so keep an eye on it. I will post the save when done here.

Edit: Just what happened here? It looks like someone built an aquifer powerplant, but something's flooding.

Edit2: Apparently, someone dug the tunnel, and yes, there are gears here with a powerplant. I just locked down the tunnel and got all dwarves to the other side because of goblins though. Wow, nobody from the initial starting expedition survived.

Journal of Master Sparkshield, Arcanist and Expedition Leader of Tunnelgear the Spark of Machines

1st Granite 108

A few days ago the undertaker reported that 'Gnorm', who was overseeing a good deal of the works going on in the fortress, had been shot and killed during a goblin ambush on the mainland. I got a hold of 'Gnorm's journal in the meantime. Unfortunately, the fortress was beset by a colossal crisis and I was completely unable to do anything else.

Firstly, the surviving migrants on the mainland had to be evacuated inside the fort and I had to lock the doors. I managed to get everyone inside the secure fortress, including a peasant who was being chased around by the goblins. Secondly, a large amount of water had been pouring into one of the underground areas, trapping two dwarves. I had a wall built on top of the staircase, but unfortunately this trapped the dwarves inside a room knee deep in water. I have performed a head count and it looks like everyone is now safe.

Today, a new year dawns upon the fortress of Tunnelgear the Spark of Machines. I arrived during the summer of 107 as an Arcanist of the Boats of Mobbing. The fortress founder, Count Fuck the World, had been killed during some alteraction with orcish thieves earlier in the year. The actual assignment, given to me directly by King Fikod Zirilcog, is to recover the soul of Count Fuck the World and the crew, and restore them to the world. This will take many preparations and I will need to secure as much of the fortress as I can before I begin the holy ritual.

To begin, the island-side entrance to the under-ocean tunnel is outside of the fortress, and exposed to attack. I decided to lock the hatch after everyone got in, just in case there are more attacks. I'm going to dig down and try to free the dwarves trapped in the flooded furniture stockpile.

Edit: Since nobody is taking tomorrow (27th), I'm going to end this turn and begin a new one.

Savescums/Crashes/Clusterfukking Moments Thus Far: 1 or 2 or so.

Important: Because this save is requiring XX> 1.5GB of RAMXX, and the size of the file is nigh approaching the !!100MB!! limit on uploads, when this fort ends we'll start on a new world OR wait for the new release if that's going to happen in a week or two afterwards and start a new world on that. If only Toady would release the important fortress-stuff updates and then fix the adventure stuff in a minor update....
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:14:53 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2013, 10:24:44 pm »

"BP's" waterfall machine caused minor flooding, which caused many dwarves to cancel their jobs. I turned it off during my last turn.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2013, 11:29:02 pm »

the overhead one had a single tile of water in it, and it shouldnt have caused any major flooding.

Also, it completely saved the fortress form a tantrum spiral (i was seriously concerned for a portion of it).

Glad to see the fort is still going.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2013, 10:29:39 pm »

How's the update going?

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2013, 03:31:36 pm »

let's just leave it at a hotfix from an existing bug gone horribly wrong for now. The devil's in the details and hired help. Between family illness issues, a brutal amount of trying to get a job in the next city over and computer hardware issues, I've hardly had anytime to do anything worthwhile beyond 10 or 15 minute catch-up sessions on e-mail and stuff. stupid wifi antenna's disconnected somehow.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Ezk1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2013, 04:24:33 am »

I tought that fort had died, as it took, what, a month or so?, to start up so totally forgot that had signed for turn. Havent read thread yet, but i guess fort died completely during start of month?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2013, 08:06:40 am »

I tought that fort had died, as it took, what, a month or so?, to start up so totally forgot that had signed for turn. Havent read thread yet, but i guess fort died completely during start of month?

The fort didn't die, other things took over. I'll try to get this going once again, or Ezk1 can just go right away from the last posted save.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2013, 03:52:22 am »

It's a shame to see something as amusing as this game going down the gullet of real life. Sign me up for the turn after Ezk1 then.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2013, 04:17:04 am »

It's a shame to see something as amusing as this game going down the gullet of real life. Sign me up for the turn after Ezk1 then.

Will do once I catch up on sleep. Moltenchannels is going to be taking up my time for a while now, so I'm not going to be doing either Bowelpillars or Sparkgear XIV for at least a week now.

Ieb, if you can deal with the save, deal with it now. In that case I'll count your turn until 1st October forum time. Else Ezk1 can try (if you're there).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5