Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to farm outside?  (Read 2396 times)

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to farm outside?
« on: October 30, 2007, 12:25:00 am »

I experimented for a long while without finding a type of seed that could be accepted by an outside farm plot.

I thought that gathering plants outside and then use their seeds would work, bit till now, no luck.

Anyone knows types of plants that I can grow outside?

HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to farm outside?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 12:27:00 am »

the plants that you gather outside.  Bloated tubers, wild strawberries, longland grass, etc.  Note that you have to have the seeds of a plant to plant them, which means after you gather them you have to process them into booze or have your dwarves eat them.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 12:31:00 am »

No, that doesn't work.  I gathered loads of plants outside and brewed them.  I have the seeds, but I still can't grow them on an outside plot.

I was very disappointed.  Thankfully I found a spot indoors where I could farm on clay, so I'm okay for now, but it would have been fun to grow strawberries, etc.

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 12:33:00 am »

Yes, I can see 2 Wild strawberry seeds in the z -> kitchen menu.

But if I (q) the farm plot I still get "No seeds available for this location".

HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 12:34:00 am »

Toady just responded in my thread the farm plots won't grow anything on mountain biomes, so I guess it's the location.  I've been having the same problem.

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 12:37:00 am »

Makes no sense.

If strawberries can grow ALL AROUND spontaneously, then it must be possible to plant them.

If it doesn't work it should be seen as a bug: it's both illogic and counterintuitive.

HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

Tenebrys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 01:47:00 am »

I've been able to plant pricklies and wild strawberries outside, with no issue.  MAYBE it's because I'm doing it right next to an outdoor river, but not sure how this all works yet.

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 02:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tenebrys:
<STRONG>I've been able to plant pricklies and wild strawberries outside, with no issue.  MAYBE it's because I'm doing it right next to an outdoor river, but not sure how this all works yet.</STRONG>

I'm doing the same. With the plot on clay.

But it still doesn't let me plant seeds. Probably because of that mountain issue.

HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 04:26:00 am »

while choosing a location, tab through the modes. one of them lets you use F1-F4 to select a biome. i'd guess what you select there determines how the map is treated.

Akael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 06:15:00 am »

I think it's actually possible to have two biomes in one map.

I tried placing a strawberry patch slightly up the slope nearer to my gate, but it didn't work. Placing it in the grass further down the slope(maybe past the river for you?) opened up the normal options for outside farming.

Try placing it where there's grass, instead of clay.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 06:38:00 am »

I had a map with f1 thru f7 as separate biomes, though there were partial repeats, different coverage levels etc.

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 10:29:00 am »

What annoys me is not much that the interface doesn't warn you of this, but that it really makes little sense to have plants growing spontaneously but that cannot be cultivated.

So I hope this gets fixed or explained better..

HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »

In my game, I could plant outside crops in the same biome that they grew naturally, and couldn't plant anything in a sandy biome on the same map.  Are you sure you're trying to plant in the same place they grow naturally?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »

This is odd, in my current fortress I harvested strawberries from the jungle and brought them up to an open grassy area between the mountain and the jungle (read: definitely not the Jungle biome) and they grew fine. Nothing but grass grew naturally around them, but my farmer managed to plant them there.

(In fact I was just complaining about how easy it was in the fortress mode subforum... having this type of talk spread about the (rather small) forum is awkward...)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »

Well, I'd rather be able to harvest and not plant, than not harvest and not plant.  Thanks for clearing up the growing mystery for me, though.  Is the mountain biome restriction hard-coded, or can we mod the plants to grow in mountain biomes?

Ideally the plants would consider soil, altitude, temperature, lattitude, etc. for the restrictions ;p  But its ok for now the way it is.

Pages: [1] 2