Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clean blood from stairs  (Read 2530 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clean blood from stairs
« on: July 21, 2013, 08:04:57 am »

There is quite a bit of blood from hunted animals on my outside stairway leading down into my fortress. I'm not sure whether this will be brought into the fortress by haulers going in and out, so ideally I just want to get a dwarf to clean the area.
I disabled all other jobs and created a small burrow around the area but my dwarf is in the dining hall and does not move an inch. According to the wiki dwarves don't clean outside. I am planning to build a roof over the area though. Would that solve the issue? If not, any other way I can make this work?

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
Re: Clean blood from stairs
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:58:28 am »

Rain will wash away all your problems.
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:59:42 am »

DFHack has a clean command. Look into it.
This is a blank sig.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 11:48:29 am »

Rain will wash away all your problems.
:o that totally escaped my mind  :D

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 12:00:15 pm »

Consider putting a dwarf dip just inside the fort entrance. Rain will clean the pool sitting on the stair, but it'll also wash off any contaminant on a dwarf coming to the surface.

I've seen four tiles of pooled blood multiply into a couple of dozen from a biome having enough rain to wash off the blood from the animals and dwarves, but not enough rain to wash the blood from the ground.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 07:06:48 pm »

iirc if the stairs are outside you need to go into the (o) orders screen and then the (r) refuse and down to (o) outside and toggle it so that dwarves do not ignore outside refuse.  This is how i got my humans to clean outside bloodstains in a human town.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 11:31:25 pm »

The game really needs a command to clean selected tiles--or has this already been added in the latest version?

In my experience, don't bother waiting for rain. Yeah, it'll wash it away, but in the time it takes to do so, your dwarves could have spread the spatter to 3 more places. As soon as you see blood, either build a floor over it, or deconstruct the floor (or wall) that it's on. Then reverse the process, and no more bloodstain.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 12:44:36 am »

DF's cleaning labor is a hassle, I always use DFHack's "clean map".

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 03:06:16 pm »

You can build constructed stairs on top of dug stairs.  When they get bloody, deconstruct and rebuild.  The blood vanishes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »

Does this destroy the dug stairs?

I have been looking for a convenient way to destroy dug stairs for a very long time! PLEASE tell me that putting constructed stairs over dug stairs, then deconstructing the stairs destroys the dug stair!

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 03:15:34 pm »

Nope, the dug stairs are still there, just have a rock constructed stair overlay.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 03:25:32 pm »

Does this destroy the dug stairs?

I have been looking for a convenient way to destroy dug stairs for a very long time! PLEASE tell me that putting constructed stairs over dug stairs, then deconstructing the stairs destroys the dug stair!

Can't you just d-z?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 03:32:49 pm »

I've tried channeling them (no dice), mining them (no dice), and settled on either walling them up, flooring them over, or caving them in.

A painless and easy way to destroy carved stairs would make me very happy.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 03:41:21 pm »

Up stairs can be leveled using the "remove ramps" command under Dig (d-z). This will also turn up/down stairs into down stairs. Down stairs can be channeled out, but leave an open hole in the floor that must be addressed one way or another (floor, hatch, grate).
I've tried channeling them (no dice), mining them (no dice), and settled on either walling them up, flooring them over, or caving them in.

A painless and easy way to destroy carved stairs would make me very happy.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 03:45:43 pm »

Kinda inintuitive, but I'll take it!

Thanks!