Advanced search  

Poll

Who should open the Gaiden Thread?

Gamerlord
Projeck
RangerCado
You, you lazy bastard of a GM!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 508

Author Topic: Twilight Academy - A Magical School RP  (Read 444237 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight Academy - A Magical School RP
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2013, 01:52:16 am »

Also, could you provide a finer description of Support and Technical? I'm thinking of switching my student to support.

Sorry, sorry. I'll try to give a better one here:

Combat: Basically, this is your quick and dirty magic meant to cause large effects in a short period of time. Shit like pyromancy and stuff goes here.

Support: Anything that, in a normal game, would affect a target's stats, from buffs to debuffs to even Damage over Time type spells and status effects. Also includes healing magic.

Technical: Technical Mages, unlike the other two, have  MUCH harder time directly controlling their magic, because for the most part it's insanely complicated. They use a lot more Magecraft than the others (I'll get into that later, but basically Sorcery is your gesture and blow shit up and Magecraft is your big elaborite rituals and incantations stuff) in order to actually get effects, but can usually do some pretty crazy things within those limits.
Wait, is the designation given to the character in general or to their magic specifically?
I think that power is separate from your magic. At least, that's what I set up my characters for.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2013, 01:52:35 am »

Also, could you provide a finer description of Support and Technical? I'm thinking of switching my student to support.

Sorry, sorry. I'll try to give a better one here:

Combat: Basically, this is your quick and dirty magic meant to cause large effects in a short period of time. Shit like pyromancy and stuff goes here.

Support: Anything that, in a normal game, would affect a target's stats, from buffs to debuffs to even Damage over Time type spells and status effects. Also includes healing magic.

Technical: Technical Mages, unlike the other two, have  MUCH harder time directly controlling their magic, because for the most part it's insanely complicated. They use a lot more Magecraft than the others (I'll get into that later, but basically Sorcery is your gesture and blow shit up and Magecraft is your big elaborite rituals and incantations stuff) in order to actually get effects, but can usually do some pretty crazy things within those limits.
Wait, is the designation given to the character in general or to their magic specifically?

Kinda both.

Some things are VERY specifically one of those three.

Others... not so much.

Take Kinetics.

as a Combat power, it throws cars at people.

as a Support power, it makes people hit harder or creates barriers.

as a Technical power, it creates rituals that warp the gravitational field of the earth.

basically, you can have a power that makes no sense as a Support power, but a Support focus.

it'd be kinda a dumb move unless you can think of a good way to use it as Support, but you COULD.

and no, your Power is your magical ability.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2013, 01:53:51 am »

Ah right, so what would Victoria actually be if she was combat-orientated but doesn't use her actual powers during combat?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2013, 01:54:42 am »

So what about powers that specifically affect oneself in a specific way? How are those adapted into a range of spells?

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2013, 01:55:04 am »

Okay, so it sounds like my guy is a sort of cross between Technical and Support, then, since Illusions are probably pretty complicated magic, but a quick and dirty one like an extremely bright flash of light could debilitate someone. I'l probably stick with Technical, though.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2013, 01:55:55 am »

I... guess I'm actually combat/support?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2013, 01:57:43 am »

Ah right, so what would Victoria actually be if she was combat-orientated but doesn't use her actual powers during combat?

Victoria would be almost definitely be a Technical type, at least at first.

So what about powers that specifically affect oneself in a specific way? How are those adapted into a range of spells?

They aren't, unless you can think of ways to use them in ways that make them.
Okay, so it sounds like my guy is a sort of cross between Technical and Support, then, since Illusions are probably pretty complicated magic, but a quick and dirty one like an extremely bright flash of light could debilitate someone. I'l probably stick with Technical, though.
Yeah, Illusions are one that can go either way.

Technical if you take a few hours/days to build a complex illusion, or Support if you're making quick and dirty flashes and stuff. You could even swing Combat if you decided to pull a Shirou.
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2013, 01:58:23 am »

I... guess I'm actually combat/support?
I'd say you're PROBABLY support-type despite being very combat-focused. your guy uses his magic to make himself more awesome, IIRC?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2013, 01:59:06 am »

Well, fits in line with my normality. I guess I could make someone unable to notice anything, effectively causing blindness? In any case, I'm definitely support.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2013, 02:00:43 am »

I decided that Kyle is tech if you want quality and combat/support for quick stuff. Also I have determined the BoI is what I'll use to determine effects if possible.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2013, 02:00:54 am »

Well, fits in line with my normality. I guess I could make someone unable to notice anything, effectively causing blindness? In any case, I'm definitely support.

Keep in mind, it's possible your 'power' is only what your guy knows how to use his magic.

For example, the Headmistress started out only being able to analyze the structure of objects.

at this point she basically rapes physics simply by existing.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2013, 02:01:30 am »

... Then why does this 'darkness' the dawnbreakers need to repel exist?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2013, 02:02:11 am »

So the more we figure out how to bend our powers to our wills the more powerful we get?

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2013, 02:02:24 am »

... Then why does this 'darkness' the dawnbreakers need to repel exist?
It's all a big game to the Headmaster, probably.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2013, 02:02:33 am »

That is spoilers.

:p

Might be because she can't kill them directly for some reason.

Might be that they're even more powerful than her.

Might be that she created them in the first place and pits you against them because she's bored.

Noone knows~
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 508