Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's your standard embark?  (Read 3082 times)

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
Re: What's your standard embark?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 02:40:35 pm »

16 female and 1 male dogs to kill some for meat/bones/skin
1 Cat
20 Plump Helmets for booze and seeds
20 Wood
1 Anvil
2 Picks
1 Axe

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 05:44:34 pm »

In order of frequency/importance

2 picks and accompanying miners. Always.
~100 booze.
~60 food.
A Cook.
At least 10 wood, mahogany, and 10 stone usually cobalite or olivine.
Coal if available.
A silver war hammer, maybe 2

After that, I've got ~700 points, and if there is something specific I want to do, I devote myself entirely to it.
Any anvil if I take military dwarves/ore. If no military, I'll take an iron anvil if there is one.
Cave crocs if available.
1 Axe.
A hunter.
Sand.
Weaponsmith.
Armorsmith.
Glassmaker.
~10 leather.
~10 thread.

Dump the rest of the points into random skills and ore.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 08:11:33 pm »

Seven peasants.  After embark I end up with a smith/jeweler, woodworker, farmer, and four mason/miners (one architect, two if there are more than one high creativity masons).  The farmer is the one with the worst creativity, the smith and one mason have the best creativity.  The woodworker being creative is useful, but I don't consider it a requirement in the first couple of years. ;)

4 dogs (1 male), a breeding pair of cats, plus whatever ends up pulling the wagon.  The wagon pullers are usually the first to visit the butcher shop once I need meat.

I dump the picks, axes, quiver, wheelbarrow, splints, crutches, rope, bags, cloth, and thread, but keep all the default food, booze and seeds (except for the dimple cup spawn and maybe one of the plump helmets so i end up with embark points divisible by three).  I then get 2 oak logs, 12 bituminous coal (or lignite if I must), 12 cassiterite, 12 malachite or copper nuggets (tetrahedrite if I must, but at its cost I usually reduce the ore and coal to keep the cost about the same), and all the rest of the points for building material -- 200 to 250 gneiss, granite or quartzite boulders, usually.

One log makes a mason shop right next to the wagon.  I put that on repeat for blocks.  With the first four blocks I build a wood furnace, smelter, forge and a second mason shop.  These four are usually where I plan to locate them once the walls of the above ground keep are in place (yeah, its a standardized layout, but I adapt it slightly to how the embark is layed out).  While the masons work on the walls, I turn the second log into charcoal, one coal (or lignite) into coke, and one order of bronze bars from ore.  That bronze becomes an axe and four picks (with three bars left over).  Once those are made I queue up 10 spears, 10 helms, 10 breastplates, and 10 greaves for the militia members I draft. The farmer gathers some surface plants and, if I remember, starts working on farms for them.

I based this on other folks' "bring ore to make my own stuff" embarks, and the fact that bringing boulders and making blocks gives quite a lot of blocks.  I can usually get an initial wall up and my dwarves secured inside it with room for a pasture before the first migrant wave.

My current embark using this is on its third year, and just received its second dwarven caravan because just as the first caravan left the map I got a necromancer siege, and had to turtle up for about 18 months (a second one showed up six months after the first).  When the elves showed up in the third spring they brought another undead siege, but my 10 spears and six marksdwarves (drafted farmers) allowed my seventy five dwarves (~20 were children under two) to survive with only five losses (three were marksdwarves that went for socks, of all things; the first was my mayor, which meant I didn't have to arrange anything for him).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 08:12:11 pm »

So, just wondering, wouldn't it make sense to bring twice as much drink as whatever amount of food you have? (as Dwarves drink 2x as much as they eat [?])

So wouldn't bringing 50 food and 100 drink be more efficient than something like 100 food and 100 drink?

Or is there other stuff that makes it worth it to bring that much?

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 08:30:49 pm »

If you take a cook, you can sell food to the first caravan, if that is your thing.  Food is generally my preferred export.

Edit: You don't have to take a cook to be able to sell food, but it makes your food more valueable.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 10:37:41 pm »

I always embark a little differently, but here's something I might do:

3 picks (I usually give the 3rd to my trader)
2 axes
anvil
default food selection plus a little milk for free barrels
double the default seeds
no thread, cloth, bags, or any of the wooden stuff
30-ish sand bags (1-point bags!)
30-60 logs
2 cats

1 miner/shield user
1 miner/weapon smith
1 mason/armor smith
1 carpenter/mechanic
1 farmer/brewer/cook
1 doctor
1 trader/expedition leader

Scionwoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 10:50:13 pm »

3 Carpenters/woodcutters
1 miner/carpenter
2 farmers
1 hunter (I always pick my strongest dwarf, and spend all his/her points.)

1 anvil
3 axes
1 pick
70 food
70 drinks
1 iron cross bow
Different seeds and such for my farms
3 hunting dogs, 1 male.
Everything else varies.

I live on the surface, in a walled in city...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:51:56 pm by Scionwoods »

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 03:39:01 pm »

Unless I am doing something fancy, I generally go with 2 miner/engravers, a weapon/armorsmith, grower/brewer, carpenter/mason, a combat dwarf with teaching skill, and a guy with lots of social skills to eventually be the broker cause that's how I roll. I go through each dwarf's preferences and find the most suitable guy for each job. If there's a guy who likes beds he's always the carpenter.
unless I'm heading into an evil place I also get rid of all the medical supplies, but i always take along some stone to make plaster powder out of.
I've been thinking about changing out the broker for a medical guy, since those take forever to train.

Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 03:46:27 pm »

Unless I am embarking in superfun happy land (where it rains dwarf blood Raspberry Jam!), I use the normal default embark profile.

I used to tweak it around, and found that I didn't really need to tweak my embarks in 99 out of 100 cases, and that the time I spent trying to perfect the formula was better spent having FUN.

Call me a stick in the mud, but unless I am embarking on an ocean or something, I don't see the need.

Snateraar

• Bay Watcher
  • [INORGANIC:BIRD_CRAZY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 04:02:04 pm »

I usually do the incredibly simple and boring volcano + flux + metals + river, but that's been getting boring for some time now.

So lately it's a completely random embark in the middle of nowhere with food and drinks, one pick and axe and that's it.
No skill settings either, apart from the appraiser dwarf.
Urist McSnate likes malachite, copper bars, birds and goblinite for its abundance. When possible, he prefers to consume tea and toast. He absolutely detests elves.

A tall, clumsy creature fond of birds and industry.

Abraxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 04:06:23 pm »

If you want to break out of your shell a little, try a spelunking embark.  As soon as you get to your site, dig down until you hit a cavern.  Make that cavern your fort.  It's like a compromise between a surface and regular fort, and a great amount of fun and quite challenging.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 04:06:52 pm »

No skills for dwarves

Enough ore to make two picks and axes ( preferrably bronze, but copper works )
Enough best coal to make such
a hundred plump helmet
Ten of each underground seed not plump helmet
anvil
a dozen stone, preferrably pitchblende or kimberlite for color
The rest wood

My usual procedure is to not embark anywhere too hostile and craft the weapon while rest of the dwarves gather up plants and go on from usual there :D

As to why no wine or such, a plump helmet will make five dwarven wine, somewhat cheaper that way. I don't take any plump helmet seeds because eating or brewing them gives some. Having barrel isn't too much of trouble with just dumping the mushrooms out or making a few while in process of making beds and office furnishings with overabundance of wood. The stones' there to give me some note of color and for fireproof material needed for smelting and forging and to show up more easily against normal ground. Coals of both kinds are cheaper per coke than wood, bronze's the most economically made alloy that I could find.

Everyone picks up experience on the job or from migrant.

Moon Label

• Bay Watcher
  • Cannot write post: creature occupying site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 10:01:42 pm »

I never embark without:
Wood >= 100, preferable >= 150
I hate to bear the mind-numbing torture that comes with not finding any magma, bitumous coal, or lignite, and rationing your bed production because of unpredictable caravan lumber supplies.

I rarely designate a brewer, either.  I'd rather load up on cheap booze and barrels, and pick up some High Master fish dissector to be the new brewer when the fortress drank half the embark supply.
Quote from: Toady One on May 10, 2007, 10:59:00 pm
I've moved out of the office and turned in my keys.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 10:26:27 pm »

If you want to break out of your shell a little, try a spelunking embark.  As soon as you get to your site, dig down until you hit a cavern.  Make that cavern your fort.  It's like a compromise between a surface and regular fort, and a great amount of fun and quite challenging.

That....DOES sound fun.

Gonna convert my current fort into a cavern fort now.

'scuse me.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 12:04:52 am »

I always bring material I can build a wall out of, for a very specific reason.
If I've embarked next to a cave, some unlucky dwarf's first job is to go down and wall off the bottom level if the cave connects to the first cavern layer. Usually it's just a 1x1 of wood, but sometimes... Sometimes I use potash.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.
Pages: 1 [2] 3