Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What's your standard embark?  (Read 3080 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's your standard embark?
« on: July 20, 2013, 05:28:51 pm »

So I've gotten into a rather steady rhythm with my embarks, after figuring a few things out about DF. And after prepping my next 4 fortress embarks (genning world, embarking, saving before unpausing) for after my next fortress falls or I get bored with it, I realized I'd slipped into a standard embark loadout. So I thought I'd ask around and see what your general loadouts are, and general first 2-3 month strategies are. To see how mine stack up and maybe learn something.

EMBARK: Going off the "Prepare Carefully" embark, I only keep the anvil, the seeds, the cloth/bags/rope/etc and the quivers from the embark, occasionally saving some of the food, sometimes not. I then look to see if there's Bituminous Coal or Lignite, and if there is, I grab some, along with 3x of some random stone. From there, I grab some copper, and whatever iron ore there is available. After I get this taken care of, I bring 2x female dogs and a male, a breeding pair of cats, 2x hen and a rooster, 2x turkey females and a male, and a breeding pair of sheep and pigs. Dogs for defense, cats for vermin, poultry for eggs/early food source, sheep/pigs for wool and cheese, and eventually leather/meat/bones. Once I get all those together, I use up the rest of my points on the iron ore/coal. I tend not to spend my points on my first 7 dwarves, since I figure I might change my mind based on what I find.

First few months: Cut down a tree while I build the wood furnace, smelter, and metalsmith's workshop, make a unit of charcoal, then smelt a piece or two of coal. Use the iron to make 7 picks, send them all into nearby dirt to hollow out a temporary living space. While the metal stuff is being built, they're all either cutting down trees or gathering plants. If the metalsmith takes a hell of a long time, maybe even an above-ground farm. After this, I move everything inside, and send someone out to cut trees full time until fall or winter or so, get another 2 to plant crops underground, get a dwarf to make nest boxes for the poultry, make beds, chairs, tables, etc.....if I run low on food, I butcher one or both of the hauling animals (though if I get a breeding pair like I did for my current main fortress I try like hell to leave them alone). At this point it's business as usual. I may have lost a little bit of time to start with, but I'm guaranteed some metal for starting tools, and for the point cost of 1 pick or so I get a lot of tools, plus a guaranteed source of iron to at least start with, if not melt down later and turn into steel if my map doesn't have any apparent iron deposits.

How about you guys? What do you do for your embark settings/first few months?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 05:31:24 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Snow Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's your standard embark?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 06:10:21 pm »

A pick. Sometimes an anvil too.

Dig straight down. Find cavern. Acquire seeds. Grumble at lack of pig tails. Make well. Survive off yak tallow biscuits until caravan arrives.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:19:17 pm by Snow Fenrir »
"Wait why are there bone golems in my dinning room?"

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 06:17:14 pm »

I try to milk as much as I can out of an embark, so I usually get a nice amount of barrels from the food that I start out with, and bags from sand, I bring a lot of milk which I make into cheese than into meals which is pretty effective.
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 06:32:31 pm »

Turkeys. All the turkeys.

An anvil, even if it has to be steel.

Milk for turning into cheese and empty barrels.

A little bit of booze.

A couple each of each seed type.

If I can get it: coal, copper ore + tin ore

A pick and axe, if I don't make these on-site.

Some wood and some magma-safe stone.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 07:28:07 pm »

Take nothing but peasants.
Live off the land while trying to tame the massive source of liquid on the surface.
Attempt to escape underground once a goblin ambush arrives, unleash half-baked liquid trap to dissuade invaders.
Flood tiny dwelling, kill most inhabitants.
Abandon, look for a new major river/volcano.

Sometimes it works and it changes the fourth line to:
Live lavishly under liquid protection.
Flood landscape intentionally.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 07:42:33 pm »

Soldier, soldier, miner, miner, farmer, carpenter, smith/soldier
60/80 alcohols
40-60 foods
10-100 logs
3-10 copper bars
1 anvil
Surplus spent on whatever. I find resources are better found in the ground than from a wagon.

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 08:03:38 pm »

bunch of peasants, all training done on site.  anvil, some oak logs, some granite stone, some food, and tons of magnetite.

initial build order is something like:
mason workshop, build blocks, build wood furnace, build smelter, build forge, build IRON axes and picks!  copper is for goblins (and maps without iron ore)

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 11:08:58 pm »

I generally go with a couple of soldiers and dwarves with a moodable skill and something useful early on, so something like:

Soldier
Soldier
Stonecrafter/Miner
Weaponsmith/Brewer
Armorsmith/Cook
Mechanic/Herbalist
Glassmaker/Grower

After that I take a pick, two weapons, an anvil, some seeds, food and drinks. I tend to buy sand and/or bronze ores with the remainder points.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 01:54:09 am »

2 proficient miners. Mason. Carpenter. Proficient grower. Smith. If embark is evil, I'll take on militiadwarf, too. Otherwise another grower.

At start, mining, tree cutting and plant gathering. I don't let anyone be idler. Build rooms etc, make all workshops, build legendary dining room, get metal indusrty going...

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 02:43:49 am »

My embark profile
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I look in DT and the worst solider gets changed to my leader.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The profile has one of a bunch of different things so I know what's available right away without having to search through the horrible menus.

Anvil, copper ores, colored magma-safe stone, cassiterite for bronze, sphalerite for brass, fungiwood because everyone has it and I hate white wood, seeds, booze, chopped liver because chopped liver is funny to say, lignite or coal for burning, charcoal to start the smelter without a wood furnace, dogs for early protection, cats for vermin, birds for food/armor.

I get 10 of the cheapest copper.   I pick a color stone I like and take 30 of that and 30 wood.  10 coal or 20 lignite if that's not available.  10 cassiterite or 5 and 5 sphalerite if I'm feeling like making brass.

Embark and build a smelter, forge, carpenters, masons, craft shop.  Train the dogs for war.  Chop some trees.  Smelt some ore. Make some picks and axes ,swords and helms.  Build some nest boxes.  Gather some plants and make some farms.  Build some beds, tables, chairs, shields.  Build some pump parts.  Make some mechanisms, chains, buckets.  Make some stone blocks.  Dig down to the aquifer and dig hall in the earth right above it.  Build some more farms, a still, kitchen, well, dormitory, dining room.  Make some wood pots.  Dig a nesting room, build a butchers, tanners and let the turkeys lay eggs then slaughter them.  Brew some booze, make some meals.  Let the other birds nest.

Now that everything is setup, I build a barracks with an empty seed bag and 6 of them go train for the rest of their lives while the boss makes leather/bone armor out of the turkey bits and a crossbow and bolts for himself until the first migrants show up.

Once the migrants are here, I dig a moat and a bridge, chop more trees, make more meals and booze, make some trade goods, crack the aquifer and build the rest of the workshops.

Except the siege workshop and kennel, because those are useless. :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 02:55:46 am by kingubu »

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 02:59:33 am »

You don't like tamed cave crocodiles?

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 05:33:52 am »

Taming doesn't use a kennel. I'm not sure what does.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 01:09:03 pm »

Taming doesn't use a kennel. I'm not sure what does.

Capturing and taming vermin does. That's all I think.

My standard embark:

Create New World!
--> decrease world size and length because I don't like waiting three minutes for the game to save
Start New Game -> Dwarf Fortress
Embark!
Play Now!
Start digging around to see what I've got.

I've found that when I get into a pattern of starting with the same resources on the same type of location and digging out the same fort to put the same industries in the same places... I'm not really playing a sandbox game anymore. I'm playing a typical MMORPG except it's not role playing and it's not multiplayer and not online, which are the three things that make MMORPG's even remotely entertaining.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 01:53:00 pm »

Usually:
Find a site with soil, metals, trees, and no aquifer.  Deeper soil, more trees, and shallow metal(s) are always better but as long as I've got some trees, some soil, and metals somewhere I'm good.  Fresh running water and not scorching/freezing is preferred but not essential.

Embark with two copper picks, one axe (wood training axe if I'm feeling stingy or my civ has steel anvils only), an anvil, seeds (particularly plump helmet), booze (assorted), a few random cheap 'tools' (a crutch or two, a few pieces of cloth for moods) and the brain of every animal worth 2 embark points.  Dwarves always include a Miner, a Wooddwarf (cutter/carpenter), and a Farmer.  The remaining four are from: a second miner, a second wooddwarf, 0-2 rockdwarfs (some combination of mason, mechanic, miner, and stonecrafter), an clerk/expedition leader (appraiser/organizer/record keeper/persuader/etc.), a metaldwarf, a second farmer, a cook/brewer a butcher/tanner, and/or a dwarf skilled in an industry I want to play with this game (Glass, clay, etc.)

Sometimes:
Find a site that looks cool.  Play now!
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Gen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 02:17:55 pm »

I've not started many forts, however of those last few;

3 Miners (Lv.2)
1 Brewer/Gatherer (Lv.3/2)
1 Farmer/Gather (Lv.3/2)
1 Administrator (Trader/Organiser/Leader etc.)
1 Architect (Building Design, Mason, Mechanic)

Turkeys: 1 Gobbler/4 Hens(?)
I swear that eggs are one of the best things to go for, and while it takes a couple years to get the breeding pop up, take it just a little far and you can have turkey 'splosions!

10 units of charcoal (kick start the metal economy if needs be)

100 units of alcohol
100 units of food

Moar seeds

Everything else is just how I'm feeling/what's avalible. Maybe more goats, wood, barrels, weapons etc.
Pages: [1] 2 3