Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39

Author Topic: Dom3 Round 15 - Game in Progress  (Read 52748 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Dom3 Round 15 - Still messing around with maps
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2013, 09:22:03 pm »

Cradle seems a bit too big for me.

Sure, I'd benefit from a smaller map because my sacreds are good for rushing, but they're also good for indie-stomping and with 22 provinces per player I'll be able to gobble up a huge chunk of territory with them.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2013, 09:29:59 pm »

Cradle is Too Damn Big.  22 provinces a player is a LOT.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2013, 10:11:30 pm »

PTW because I like stalking dominions threads ;D
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2013, 10:40:45 pm »

Honestly picking the map has been the hardest part every single time I have run a round of Dom3 here. Anyway the following is what we have so far for votes on maps:

Cradle of Dominion - 1.5 for and 2 against
Urraparrand - .5 (wanting two things means I split your vote)

With that technically Urraparrand is in the lead as it has more votes for then against but thats not really fair. Also since its on the last page I will remind of some suggested maps to look at
Well, some brighter/bigger options: Cradle of Dominion (199+22, non-w/a), Urraparrand (145+35, w/a (obviously)), Bladelands (164+45, non-w/a), Shalbanta (165+47, w/a), or Sharivar (Sombre version, 168+12, non-w/a, very pretty). I also would again point to Plane of Rusty Nails (143+12, w/a), which really isn't bigger, but it's brighter and may seem bigger for being wrap-around.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Dom3 Round 15 - Almost Ready to Start
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2013, 04:57:29 am »

Also, what do you mean "get javelins to work"?

I mean work period.  Approximately half the time, my troops neglect to throw their javelins entirely.  I think it might have to do with foes engaging in melee prior to them being thrown.  With range of ten (usually, its based on strength), many foes can go from out of range to melee in a single move.

While I love the javelins, and can see several tactics with them, they are all contingent on them actually being thrown.  Any advice on making sure this happens?

Cradle seems a bit too big for me.

Sure, I'd benefit from a smaller map because my sacreds are good for rushing, but they're also good for indie-stomping and with 22 provinces per player I'll be able to gobble up a huge chunk of territory with them.

Don't worry Boski.  If you take too many territories, we'll just gang up on you like you did me last game.   :P

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2013, 05:09:35 am »

If the problem is getting them to throw before the enemy closes into melee then you should expirament with placement of the squad and use of decoys. Place a small squad of damage sponges in front of the guys and see if that stops the enemy before them so you can throw your javalins.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2013, 05:24:07 am »

If the problem is getting them to throw before the enemy closes into melee then you should expirament with placement of the squad and use of decoys. Place a small squad of damage sponges in front of the guys and see if that stops the enemy before them so you can throw your javalins.

Good idea.  I've been experimenting with damage sponges anyways, to better leverage my unarmored troops, so I'll keep your idea of decoys in mind for javelin use as well.  Thanks!

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2013, 08:00:49 am »

I will put my full support for Urraparrand now, see how unpopular Cradle of Dominions is.

As a reminder, Urraparrand has 16 provinces per land player, and the waters are scattered, making it possible to have a non-Atlantean summon Water Queens.

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2013, 08:48:19 am »

I'm ok with Urraparand,but i'll check the other maps later today.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2013, 10:45:39 am »

As a reminder, Urraparrand has 16 provinces per land player, and the waters are scattered, making it possible to have a non-Atlantean summon Water Queens.

I really don't think Water Queens should really be a significant deciding factor for initial map choice. If I'm not still alive when research gets there, water layout is irrelevant. And if I am, you just need to smash and grab (or "rent") a water province for a turn or three - the exact same calculus I need to use if I want a Fire King or Air Queen. All this assumes, of course, that the land is given strictly unto yinz, and the water unto me. Which I've never seen held to hard and fast.

That said, my incentives are sufficiently different in map choice that I'm not going to vote unless we deadlock - my opinion has already been taken into consideration in that I didn't propose any maps where an aquatic nation couldn't at least scrape by.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2013, 11:11:30 am »

That said, my incentives are sufficiently different in map choice that I'm not going to vote unless we deadlock - my opinion has already been taken into consideration in that I didn't propose any maps where an aquatic nation couldn't at least scrape by.

On a related note, since my interests in a slightly larger map with color and better expansion options have been taken into consideration, I also won't be voting, allowing E. Albright to be the tiebreaker since he has been so helpful in map selection.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2013, 12:02:26 pm »

Eucre: in re: javelins, remember that a Holy-3 priest (which is very easy for Marverni to achieve) can add an extra 4 Str with Strength of Boars. I usually see two volleys even if I just have them charge willy-nilly at the enemy. The other thing to remember is that if you have a large enough formation, the rear ranks will throw their javelins even if the front line is in combat.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2013, 12:54:32 pm »

Overall, I'm not impressed with the reliability of javelins, but thanks for the advice.  Ranks for my troops plus Strength of Boars for important battles.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2013, 01:42:55 pm »

If we do go with  Urraparrand - and this shouldn't be taken as a vote for it - I would suggest following the map's recommendation and setting Gold to 150%. My 2¢.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2013, 01:49:27 pm »

I've always viewed javelins on a troop as a bonus, not a core feature. They're nothing I'd base strategies around.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39