Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Z-Axis construction questions  (Read 562 times)

Arven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Z-Axis construction questions
« on: October 28, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »

On the eve of the new version, I'm planning my fortress out ahead of time. I have a few questions regarding the Z axis construction.

First of all, how do I dig down? Won't my miners get stuck in the hole that they dig? Is there some sort of temporary ladder I can pull up and put down, or do I have to make a staircase? Can I remove this staircase from above? Can I dig up, and how do I deal with the same problem? I'm basically wondering how I'm going to dig pits and moats without getting my guys trapped inside.

My other question is about fortifications. Can my marksdwarves shoot from a higher Z plane to a lower Z plane? Can I carve a fortification in the floor so they can shoot straight down? Can I put fortifications in the ceiling and shoot straight up? Does a higher Z plane give the shooter any sort of advantage? Do the same rules apply to siege equipment?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Z-Axis construction questions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 02:50:00 pm »

quote:
First of all, how do I dig down? Won't my miners get stuck in the hole that they dig? Is there some sort of temporary ladder I can pull up and put down, or do I have to make a staircase? Can I remove this staircase from above? Can I dig up, and how do I deal with the same problem? I'm basically wondering how I'm going to dig pits and moats without getting my guys trapped inside.

For one tile deep, dwarfs dig it out from the side. Otherwide you need to use stairs. Stairs can be dug out like normal rock. Digging up requires a ramp or some stairs.

quote:
My other question is about fortifications. Can my marksdwarves shoot from a higher Z plane to a lower Z plane? Can I carve a fortification in the floor so they can shoot straight down? Can I put fortifications in the ceiling and shoot straight up? Does a higher Z plane give the shooter any sort of advantage? Do the same rules apply to siege equipment?

I think they can shoot, but I'm not sure if they are at an advantage for doing so.