Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large Doorways  (Read 516 times)

Czernobog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Large Doorways
« on: October 27, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

So every time I make my fortress I run up against the same problem. My fortress goes fine for the first couple of years, and then in the later periods, my dwarves  start to have serious lag getting across the bridges on the river and the chasm. I checked and found that this was because there were so many of the little buggers going over the bridges all the time. Especially when I factor in all their pets and the animals I haven't yet locked up. So I expanded the bridges and that worked, until I noticed that they were just bottlenecking up in the doors to the bridgeways. I've got doors and both sides of these bridges and those doors are only 2 tiles wide. So I expanded the hallway there, and the doors moved outward with the new walls. I thought, 'Hrm, that's strange. Well I'll just build a new door here in the middle.' Except that I couldn't. So now I've got doors on either side of the hallway, and a big empty space in between for all the goblins to walk through. This totally screws up all my defense plans obviously.

Is there any way to build doors across a hallway any larger than 2 spaces?

DB84

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Large Doorways
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

Yes, you can door up wider hallways.  Build the two doors closest to the walls.  Once they have been installed, lock them both, and you can build doors off of those.  If it is a 6-wide hallway, you'll have to lock those as well and install two more.  Once they are all installed, you can unlock them.

Czernobog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

Locking them! I never thought of that. Well don't I just feel stupid.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 04:45:00 pm »

Nice to see you Escaped Lunatics helping one another, and welcome to the forums!  :D
And that is actually a bug, so I would recommend feelings of guilt for exploiting it instead of feelings of stupidity, or skip the guilt to, really.
I'm no good at greetings or netiquette really, so I should go now before I scare you away from these forums whit my bad spelling  :roll:
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 08:21:00 pm »

As you may or may not know, you can hang doors off of statues. The gobbies can still shoot through the statues, but at least they can't move through them. And if you don't have any qualms about using one of the 'cheating' utilities, grab granite.exe from the DW Wiki utils page. You can use it to 'rewall' areas that have been dug out. It's great for fixing mistakes.

gloogorshkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vine-gar.tk
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 10:42:00 pm »

You could also use a drawbridge as a door.  Just build a bridge that raises to either side and link it to a lever.  When the goblins come to siege you, just pull the lever and boom! Instant shut-off passageway.  You just want to make sure that the bridge is at least two tiles wide, though, so that you can tell whether it's up or down quickly and easily.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 01:28:00 am »

Unless there's something I don't know about with this, you might notice that those two doors didn't stay with the wall when you mined it out, but one or both of them probably got dismantled and was just sitting on the ground waiting to be built again. Doors that are sitting on the ground or that have been constructed look exactly the same. So while it looked like they adjusted automatically with the wall, they probably fell off.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 02:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>whit my bad spelling   :roll:</STRONG>

Incidentally, it's "with".  I've been assuming it was an affectation, but in case it's ESL I figured I'd point it out anyway. ;-P

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin