Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should George Zimmerman be prosecuted for killing Trayvon Martin?

Yes
No
This is another experiment isn't it

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: George Zimmerman verdict and THINGS  (Read 16988 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: George Zimmerman verdict and THINGS
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2013, 10:49:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tldr:

That poll is actually an example of the bias that has tainted this whole thing.
Oh hey, we agree. Bias has tainted this whole affair, and it's very clear who's to blame for its existence. And if you were wondering who I blamed, eh, I just don't think any one person can at this point say it's been one person fueling it. We've had the media going on and on about it, so it's the media right? Well, who would be funding it if no one was watching it? So it's the partisan people of Politically Divided States of America right? Well, there's a lot of people and a lot of them will only be running off of what they heard on the news. You can say Obama should never have taken sides, that people shouldn't have simultaneously invested so much while distancing themselves so far and so on, but I think the damage has already been done at this point and the thing that's most likely going to help are a bunch of individuals making informed decisions that benefit everyone. I imagine then that these small decisions will form the basis of society and so will eventually work their way up to government.
And I would call this progressive change... The progressive movement.

The poll:
It's merely a metaphorical photograph, don't break the camera just because you are the photons. Brighten up.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2013, 11:03:01 pm »

I don't think I was fully understood, then, when I said I chose it because it seemed mildy biased towards his innocence. I didn't mean 'it believed he was innocent, therefore he is right-wing', but because the tone behind it and the background nuances and presentation lead me to believe that you have a mild bias towards believing he is innocent, not over believing he is guilty, but over trying to figure out what really happened, why it happened, and what we should do. This is sadly associated with the right wing, and I would have rather had you have the poll based on a scale of innocent vs. guilty, as then I would have put a slight bias towards innocence. He is, in most ways, innocent, and perhaps it's simply me who's biased against people killing for any reason(we all have biases, we just have to try and recognize them), but I feel that he should be punished in some way for following an unarmed teenager, and for shooting to kill. I disagree with the Stand Your Ground law, as I do with most laws relating to killing people for any reason whatsoever. In some cases, unfortunately, there is no other choice, but I feel that in this case there had been another choice. Shoot him, perhaps, but not in the chest. Perhaps the gut, though that could also turn out to be fatal. I'd rather the shoulder. Enough people die already in this world. It's been shown by studies(no, I don't remember the source, so disregard if you like) that only clinically depressed people have an accurate worldview. We don't need to contribute to that.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2013, 11:09:41 pm »

I didn't mean 'it believed he was innocent, therefore he is right-wing', but because the tone behind it and the background nuances and presentation lead me to believe that you have a mild bias towards believing he is innocent, not over believing he is guilty, but over trying to figure out what really happened, why it happened, and what we should do.

So... You're a proponent of Guilty until Proven Innocent and you believe that your world view is accurate because you suffer from depression?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2013, 11:17:16 pm »

I don't think I was fully understood, then, when I said I chose it because it seemed mildy biased towards his innocence.
You weren't the deciding factor, just the quote easiest to find that showed it. Apologies. I got this impression from the media portrayal first, but the US populace don't always agree or even listen to the news. The progressive rage thread had me suspicious, and this one has me one more than that.

This is sadly associated with the right wing, and I would have rather had you have the poll based on a scale of innocent vs. guilty
That is a good idea. The novelty's not really hampered by the poll's existence as it's locked, you think it'd be worth putting up a new poll? new poll.

But I feel that he should be punished in some way for following an unarmed teenager, and for shooting to kill.
It's impossible to deliberately shoot at someone at not intend to kill, magicians aside. I am rather interested in this view, and that is one I have not considered much although I did see someone briefly bring it up, the view that killing even in self defence should be punished? How seriously would the punishment be?
Also, why do you feel he should be punished for following a suspect he had no way of identifying if he was armed or not? And if he should be, did your view change at all knowing that he stopped following Trayvon and Trayvon had turned back to attack George?

I disagree with the Stand Your Ground law, as I do with most laws relating to killing people for any reason whatsoever. In some cases, unfortunately, there is no other choice, but I feel that in this case there had been another choice. Shoot him, perhaps, but not in the chest. Perhaps the gut, though that could also turn out to be fatal. I'd rather the shoulder.
That's not how guns work, sorry. It is a tragedy for every death, but we aren't immortals. When you nearly kill someone you force their hand, whatever happens next is on your own head.

So... You're a proponent of Guilty until Proven Innocent and you believe that your world view is accurate because you suffer from depression?
That's a big assumption to make of someone. He just said that I seemed more biased to the view that George was innocent not guilty, but still trying to figure out what really happened. Doesn't matter what view you hold, a certain modicum of respect should be afforded to everyone until they do something to warrant disapproval.

*EDIT
The wording said I was waiting for someone to call me out on politicizing the poll. New poll.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:23:54 pm by Loud Whispers »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2013, 11:58:39 pm »

I didn't mean 'it believed he was innocent, therefore he is right-wing', but because the tone behind it and the background nuances and presentation lead me to believe that you have a mild bias towards believing he is innocent, not over believing he is guilty, but over trying to figure out what really happened, why it happened, and what we should do.

Not sure where you got that. I'm a proponent of innocent until proven guilty when it's something like a lawsuit, but a proponent of 'make no assumptions' when it comes to criminal activity and prosecuted by the state. The Constitution is not the be-all and end-all for law-making, at least to me. People seem rather hesitant as of late to make changes to it.

I disagree with the Stand Your Ground law, as I do with most laws relating to killing people for any reason whatsoever. In some cases, unfortunately, there is no other choice, but I feel that in this case there had been another choice. Shoot him, perhaps, but not in the chest. Perhaps the gut, though that could also turn out to be fatal. I'd rather the shoulder.
That's not how guns work, sorry. It is a tragedy for every death, but we aren't immortals. When you nearly kill someone you force their hand, whatever happens next is on your own head.
I disagree. When you attempt to kill someone, you do not force their hand. I'm not saying people should defend themselves, but the way you put it, though I'm guessing it's not what you meant, if I were to nearly kill someone, for whatever reason, accidental or intentional, and they decided to rape and torture me as a lesson to others, it would be my own fault. There are degrees in this, just as in everything else. I don't like using this next argument, but I feel it makes a valid point. When you follow someone with a gun, you force their hand, whatever happens next is on your own head.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2013, 12:16:38 am »

I disagree. When you attempt to kill someone, you do not force their hand. I'm not saying people should defend themselves, but the way you put it, though I'm guessing it's not what you meant, if I were to nearly kill someone, for whatever reason, accidental or intentional, and they decided to rape and torture me as a lesson to others, it would be my own fault.
I'm not quite sure you know what self-defence is. If you walked up to someone and tried to kill them, they would be more than justified in killing you. The justification is not in that you are trying to kill someone therefore you are no longer a citizen protected by law, the justification is in that you are trying to kill them and they can protect themselves or another even if it will result in your death, because you are trying to kill an innocent here.
If you are able to rape and torture someone who's just tried to kill you, it's safe to say you're in no danger and you've overkilled so much you will definitely get a life, and in some places, a death sentence.

There are degrees in this, just as in everything else. I don't like using this next argument, but I feel it makes a valid point. When you follow someone with a gun, you force their hand, whatever happens next is on your own head.
George Zimmerman never revealed his gun, Trayvon Martin was very much attacking someone he thought was unarmed. I think it was rather nicely said in the trial in that we all have a duty to be reasonable to one another. When you attack an innocent man [who is not following you to boot], begin smashing his head into the concrete while straddling his chest, yeah this part just sticks out to me as the perfect definition of what it means to force someone's hand. There was literally no other way to get out of this situation, because of Trayvon's actions that day. Sure, there are degrees to this. But scenarios where the victims rape, torture and somehow force their aggressor to justifiably attack them without presenting a threat are not shades even close to being up there.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2013, 12:21:28 am »

Oh hey, we agree. Bias has tainted this whole affair, and it's very clear who's to blame for its existence.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

It's not about bias, it's about the trial not being handled in the fashion we expect.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2013, 04:25:28 am »

It's been shown by studies(no, I don't remember the source, so disregard if you like) that only clinically depressed people have an accurate worldview.

Nope. It had been shown that clinically depressed people have a more accurate recollection of events IN THE PAST, because they don't filter out the unpleasant memories while, for the most part, remembering pleasant ones, though not being able to draw positivity from the latter. Depressives are heavily biased towards believing that they, and/or the world, are bad.

It's logical. Otherwise political commentary would turn into a farce with people inviting resident depressives for spot-on judgment.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2013, 04:52:24 am »

Then you decided to ignore the extremes of your survey as jokes because they don't fit your hypothesis (only you seem to decide that actually those votes were serious later in one of your conclusions?).
Not jokes. I just don't know quite exactly what the poll results at the extremes truly means, and I had originally created them to catch out joke results as is so often the norm on this forum [it's considered common etiquette to provide a 3rd nonsensical option, which I think is rather unusual and nice, and I also expected at least one or two people to just pick the extremes for the sake of it]. But of course, when the extreme right option held a decent sized group yet there were no votes for the middle ground in between the central votes and the extreme on the right, I didn't know what to make of it. It's a peculiar group who I don't think can easily be explained with just one explanation, I do think there are a host of people within that group who will have picked that option for different reasons.
Dude, stop, just stop. You wrote "MUH LIZARD ILLUMINATUS" for that option. Even putting aside what a break in rigor that is for apparently trying to do a scientific analysis, you know full well that everybody who picked that option did so because they found it slightly amusing and did not feel compelled to contribute otherwise. That is your one explanation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2013, 05:21:28 am »

I've been under an impression that silly names for poll options is nothing new.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2013, 05:36:49 am »

It isn't, but going from extremely silly, be-attracted-to-these-joke-options to "I will now analyze the results of this silly-worded poll and use it to make statements about society" is not really valid.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2013, 05:42:31 am »

So I figure here is a good place to ask...
I have been hearing about mass protests across the States demanding justice for Martin. What could they hope to achieve? Is it actually legal to get a do over on a case because popular opinion demands it? Is there any legal grounds that it would legitimately be revisited? I'm not challenging the legitimacy of their protests, rather as a non-US guy I don't have the same exposure to these protests and the media covering it, and I'm wondering what avenue, if any, is actually open here.

I'm all for destroying murderers in a fair hearing, but is a fair hearing even possible now?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2013, 05:46:21 am »

I have been hearing about mass protests across the States demanding justice for Martin.
Not quite that big.
What could they hope to achieve?
Venting their anger.
Is it actually legal to get a do over on a case because popular opinion demands it? Is there any legal grounds that it would legitimately be revisited? I'm not challenging the legitimacy of their protests, rather as a non-US guy I don't have the same exposure to these protests and the media covering it, and I'm wondering what avenue, if any, is actually open here.

I'm all for destroying murderers in a fair hearing, but is a fair hearing even possible now?
Not even remotely possible.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2013, 05:49:23 am »

So yea, this is another case of people willing to throw out their rights to chase a bad guy. I mean he is a bad guy but come on, you have to think about precedence.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2013, 05:54:10 am »

Well, don't worry. Some minor unrest isn't going to overturn one of the cornerstones of US legal code.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11