Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should George Zimmerman be prosecuted for killing Trayvon Martin?

Yes
No
This is another experiment isn't it

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: George Zimmerman verdict and THINGS  (Read 16978 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: George Zimmerman verdict and THINGS
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 06:56:42 am »

There have been a number of break-ins in his neighborhood, and there was a black gang operating nearby, so I'd say that suspecting a gang of committing a crime is pretty understandable. If a white supremacist gang was spotted nearby, he might have been reporting unknown whites in the neighborhood.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 09:40:34 am »

So the guy in traffic you are behind can stop and brain you with a tire iron for being a creepy ass cracker following him everywhere?

No, because THAT IS A DIFFERENT SITUATION.

If someone stalks you on a dark street at night then you have the right to defend youself with lethal force.  Trayvon Martin wasn't going to get anyone killed.

Race doesn't even enter into something.  If you provoke a fight with someone and then kill them you are a murderer.  If someone else provokes a fight with you and then you kill them, you are not (although you may or may not be over reacting.)  Zimmerman is a murderer by his own account and it's a shocking oversight in our laws that what he did was legal.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:23:20 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 10:18:35 am »

A lot of people are up in arms about this whole debacle. I, as a radical activist colored boy who lives in the South, are one of those people.

I will not give my own conclusion and defend it, or attack anyone elses, though it's obvious where I would stand in the matter. This is because I'm very emotionally attached to this case, and when I debate about it online, my emotions override my logic and my arguments start breaking down.

Instead, I'll answer anyone who has questions about why people care about this affair and are going nuts, since I'm one of said people in that position.

I'd like to hear what you think i should be asking, and the answers you've got for them. I haven't read the rest of the thread, and I'll save it for a rainy day, but this at least sounds useful.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 10:55:44 am »

That said, look at the Dorner case. Why didn't that receive nationwide attention? Anyone? No? Guy inside a house being burned to death by a fire intentionally started by police? Guess not.

Seriously. The media went crazy over this Dorner caper until it became obvious the police intentionally set fire to where he was hiding. That shit pisses me off.

So the guy in traffic you are behind can stop and brain you with a tire iron for being a creepy ass cracker following him everywhere?

If someone stalks you on a dark street at night then you have the right to defend youself with lethal force.  Trayvon Martin wasn't going to get anyone killed.

Race doesn't even enter into something.  If you provoke a fight with someone and then kill them you are a murderer.  If someone else provokes a fight with you and then you kill them, you are not (although you may or may not be over reacting.)  Zimmerman is a murderer by his own account and it's a shocking oversight in our laws that what he did was legal.

No it isn't different. Approaching somebody isn't provocation and you can't just kill anybody that follows you around in public. It was 7pm and  Martin was 100 feet away from where he lived. If he felt threatened he could have just ran. Instead he decided to jump Zimmerman.

Or who knows? Maybe Zimmerman got out of his car and got confrontational, talking shit. It doesn't justify physical violence on Martin's part. You think Zimmerman would have really called the police on himself if he set out to beat up Martin or kill him?

They both overreacted to the situation, but Martin was the only one that broke the law here by escalating the situation, by attacking Zimmerman in such a way as that Zimmerman could'nt withdraw. If Martin had just gotten into a stand-up fist-fight and Zimmerman shot him when he could have ran, it would be a different story. Instead he pinned Zimmerman to the ground and continued beating on him, a life-or-death situation, so Zimmerman had no choice but to either defend himself or risk his life and hope Martin didn't kill or seriously injure him.

Zimmerman should have just stayed in his damn car, the police were literally two minutes away.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 11:04:01 am »

You think Martin was afraid of "dark streets at night"?

Martin loved confrontations, he basically used Twitter as some sort of fight journal.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 11:25:17 am »

You think Martin was afraid of "dark streets at night"?

Martin loved confrontations, he basically used Twitter as some sort of fight journal.

So Zimmerman was basing his assessment that it was a good idea to stalk this guy off a twitter account he never followed?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 11:43:13 am »

I think his implication is that Trayvon Martin went looking for fights, so he must have been the one responsible for getting himself shot.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 11:52:41 am »

You deserve a medal.

I present to you a Common Sense Award. It is encircled with bands of logic and menaces with spikes of truth. On the item is an engraving of a brain and a Derp. The Derp is being a Derp. The brain is having Common Sense. On the item is an engraving of the words "you freaking deserve this award"
I honestly cannot think of anything I could say that would be more damning than praise from PatriotSaint

So yeah. Presentation is everything. Set 1: a child and, thanks to color, a convict-looking middle-aged kinda-fugly dude. Set 2: gangbanger-looking teen and a smiling man in a suit.
This has been debunked like ten billion times.  The commonly used photograph of Martin was taken 6 months before his death, and the ones of an OH MY GOD SCARY BLACK MAN SHOOT HIM NOW are of a completely unrelated man who happens to be named Trayvon Martin.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/martin.asp

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 11:55:31 am »

I think his implication is that Trayvon Martin went looking for fights, so he must have been the one responsible for getting himself shot.

Except he was using it in an argument over whether Zimmerman had acted aggressively.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 11:58:39 am »

Except he was using it in an argument over whether Zimmerman had acted aggressively.

I didn't say I agreed with him. Seems like the common two step. "Zimmerman instigated this." "Well Martin was a thug who liked to fight, so I doubt that!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 12:00:54 pm »

But we weren't arguing about the start of the fight.  We were arguing over whether Zimmerman was a murderer according to his own story.  Stalking someone and then killing them when they defend themselves is murder, it doesn't matter who threw the first punch.  What does matter is that Florida has laws that make murder legal in this context.

The great irony is that the people with a massive hardon for self defense when it means killing the right people get all butthurt that Martin might have actually defended himself with non-lethal force.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 12:07:35 pm »

Leafsnail is being mean to mean to me. I'm going to get on the news and complain about political and profiling now. WHAAAAAA

But seriously Snail, your arguments are always impregnable, especially when they aren't arguments.

"See that guy over there? He's not like you and me. Yah, I know, he doesn't agree with our politics, howe must be insane nit to agree with us! So... Yah, he's wrong."

Oh, then I'm gonna kill a white man, because (Hispanic) Zimmerman won. Beat that. Racists.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 12:12:08 pm »

But we weren't arguing about the start of the fight.  We were arguing over whether Zimmerman was a murderer according to his own story.  Stalking someone and then killing them when they defend themselves is murder, it doesn't matter who threw the first punch.  What does matter is that Florida has laws that make murder legal in this context.

The great irony is that the people with a massive hardon for self defense when it means killing the right people get all butthurt that Martin might have actually defended himself with non-lethal force.

Concrete head-bashing is a great non-lethal defense.

It may have been a defense on either side, but neither was non-lethal.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 12:14:31 pm »

I wonder what would've happened if Martin lived and Zimmerman died.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 12:17:40 pm »

Concrete head-bashing is a great non-lethal defense.

Yeah except that never held water.

Also that happened after Zimmerman started the encounter.

Leafsnail is being mean to mean to me. I'm going to get on the news and complain about political and profiling now. WHAAAAAA

But seriously Snail, your arguments are always impregnable, especially when they aren't arguments.

"See that guy over there? He's not like you and me. Yah, I know, he doesn't agree with our politics, howe must be insane nit to agree with us! So... Yah, he's wrong."

Oh, then I'm gonna kill a white man, because (Hispanic) Zimmerman won. Beat that. Racists.

So is this a self parody or are you actually a right wing caricature?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11