Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should George Zimmerman be prosecuted for killing Trayvon Martin?

Yes
No
This is another experiment isn't it

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: George Zimmerman verdict and THINGS  (Read 16369 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: George Zimmerman verdict and THINGS
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2013, 09:09:30 pm »

I honestly can't believe you're still trying to claim everyone who says anything bad about Martin has a racist agenda. There is no reason to cry racism here, so quit trying to strengthen your position by calling others racist. It's pathetic.
I listed racism as one of three possible reasons.  Do you deny that there are people attacking Martin due to racism?

Of course there will be a very tiny number of people that are racially motivated to hate on Martin, but they're pretty easy to spot and dismiss. No one here has acted even remotely racist, yet you keep bringing it up. You seem to be incapable of thinking anyone could see Trayvon as a thug without being a bad person, so it looks like you're dropping the race card in order to make anyone that argues against you seem like a bigot. You're essentially pulling a preemptive ad hominem in order to discourage anybody from arguing against your opinions. You should try making an argument for your thoughts instead of saying that anyone who disagrees with you is a racist, idiot, or [Insert Convenient Insult Here].

1) Zimmerman had no intention of killing Martin. If he wanted to kill him to start off with, he wouldn't have called the cops just so they could come over and arrest him for murder, and I think we can all agree that Zimmerman isn't some criminal mastermind who manipulated the entire situation so he could kill a man. He just isn't that competent, and even if he wanted to kill Martin he could in no way control Martin's actions. From what I can tell this is also the first time that Zimmerman has even drawn his concealed weapon in all of the confrontations that he's been in, so it's not like he was just itching for a chance to shoot someone.
Sure.  But lack of premeditation doesn't stop it from being manslaughter.

You seem to be confusing manslaughter and self defense. My point was that Zimmerman was not looking to kill Martin at any point, and the only time he decided to take action to hurt Martin was in the middle of the fight.

2) Martin attacked Zimmerman long after Zimmerman stopped following him. If Zimmerman had approached Martin and Martin had attacked him then, Martin could have claimed Stand Your Ground since he may not have known Zimmerman's intentions. Instead he ran away, Zimmerman stopped following him, and Martin turned around and attacked Zimmerman. Martin is the aggressor in this case. Following a man is not a crime (Even if it is stupid).
Is this established beyond a doubt, or based entirely on Zimmerman's implausible story (that includes a young man with a punctured lung giving a death speech)?

It's mostly based on balancing the recordings of Zimmerman on the phone with the dispatcher and the time stamps with Trayvon's phone call with his girlfriend, since any story we've gotten out of the witnesses or Zimmerman have been inconsistent (Which is pretty common in any investigation). It's entirely likely that Zimmerman either followed Trayvon or started towards Trayvon's house (Since it was a place that suspicious activity had been spotted prior), but that still doesn't peg Zimmerman with malicious intent.

Zimmerman knew the police were coming, so all he had to do was wait for them. They did, after all, show up less than two minutes after Martin was shot. Even if he was afraid of Trayvon getting away, he already had a place he suspected that Trayvon would be going to because of the previous suspicious reports. He just had to point the police over there and be on his way.

Maybe Zimmerman attacked Trayvon, but there isn't enough evidence to prove this. Remember, we're going along with the idea that the guy is innocent until proven guilty. We don't put people in prison for hunches or suspicions.

3) The common claim that Florida's Stand Your Ground law needs to be repealed because of the Zimmerman case is just bonkers. Stand Your Ground wasn't used as part of his defense and had no place in the trial. The whole point of Stand Your Ground is to stand your ground against a potential attacker that's approaching you, since turning away from an assailant is one of the worst things you can do during a confrontation. Its only purpose is to prevent a potential attacker from getting a cheap shot in. Zimmerman was caught by surprise and wasn't even aware of Martin until he was right on top of him. Martin attacked Zimmerman first as far as we can tell, so any chance for this to be a Stand Your Ground case disappeared and it became Self Defense as far as the law is concerned.
Palsch has said this at least half a dozen times, but I guess I'll say it once more: the jury instructions were totally different due to SYG.  SYG eliminated Zimmerman's need to use other measures before killing Martin and also his responsibility to ensure that the threat against him was actual.

The idea that Zimmerman wasn't aware of Martin until he was right on top of him is also laughable by the way and only works under the "Martin decided to murder a stranger for no reason, and so suddenly that he decided to hang up his phone in the middle of a conversation" theory.

The only thing that I'm finding about the "jury instructions" is that the judge explained the Stand Your Ground laws to them. That's far from the impression that you're giving, which was that they were told Zimmerman was innocent solely because of that law. It would be illegal for a judge to do that.

The only way Stand Your Ground would have affected the case would be in the pretrial hearing, in which case the defense would have to prove with "50% certainty" to the judge whether or not Stand Your Ground was used in this case. If the judge determined that it were, Zimmerman would have gotten off without a trial. Zimmerman's defense bypassed this step entirely and went straight to a trial by jury (Probably to avoid getting Zimmerman lynched by an angry mob), so Stand Your Ground had no place in the trial itself besides the fact that the law was explained to the jurors.

And no one said that Martin was trying to murder Zimmerman, but, as has been mentioned, people have been killed during fights before where there was no intent to murder. This is called manslaughter. I don't care if you're using pillows to attack someone: If that person feels that their life is in danger, they should retaliate.

4) Zimmerman only shot Martin after he was pinned to the ground and was having his head bashed into concrete. Zimmerman was at risk for a concussion at best, death or brain damage at worst. He took the only option he reasonably could to prevent himself from becoming a drooling paperweight and shot the man who was attacking him. Martin had no ground to stand on: Zimmerman acted in pure self defense.
"Head bashed into the concrete" is still bullshit and not consistent with Zimmerman's injuries at all.  Like what, the first few bashes did nothing at all, but the next one, oh boy, that was going to turn him into a vegetable?

So Zimmerman should have just let Martin keep on attacking until he was sure that it was going to do some damage? At what point does an attack allow you to defend yourself?

And how do you know Zimmerman's injuries were all superficial? There was a lot of misinformation passed around against Zimmerman early on in the case. Particularly, ABC claimed to have reviewed video evidence from the police station and stated that there were no noticeable wounds on him. Clues for a concussion or brain injury aren't always going to show up on a photograph, and if you look at it the pictures ABC claimed 'didn't show any injuries' here, it's obvious that those aren't birth marks. A person can take a lot less superficial damage than that and still get brain injury.

And finally, I feel impressed to remind you that the prosecution was holding back evidence that could have been used by the defense team. So not only was Zimmerman found innocent, he was found innocent after the prosecution illegally retained evidence that could have potentially been used to strengthen his defense.

There is not nearly enough evidence to convict Zimmerman of misconduct, only suspicions that have somehow condemned the man in the eyes of people unwilling to accept that our justice system exists for a reason.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2013, 09:31:00 pm »

No one here has acted even remotely racist, yet you keep bringing it up.

Have you read this thread?  Patriot wassisname wont shut up about how racist anyone who thinks zimmerman is guilty is.

Seriously, you bring this sanctemonious attitude to every conversation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2013, 10:13:21 pm »

After a brief check back in the thread, it looks like Patriot only posted three times in succession way back on the 3rd page, so he "shut up" about racism, all right. The only other serious mentions of racism seem to be coming from you two in justifying your rather silly theory that Zimmerman followed Martin, after calling the cops, with the intent to shoot him dead. Or something.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2013, 11:42:14 pm »

Yeah I just go on an on about racism.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2013, 11:52:02 pm »

Hey look kids! It's a smolder war. It's very similar to a flame war, but involves decrying the other's actions or viewpoints as proxies for the people themselves.

Aka you've stopped being constructive. I liked viewing this thread, as I knew very little about the Zimmerman case, and only know a bit more now, and since my parents(and I) are liberal, they were upset that he got off, and I wanted to learn about it so I could discuss it with them. But now, you're talking about stuff that isn't relevant.

Who gives a shit about whether Zimmerman was racist? It doesn't make a difference as to whether he was attacked or not. I'm fairly sure he was at least partially racist, since everyone is, in one way or another, and it's been said that he'd been suspecting black people, but from what it looks like, he was a guy who made a dumb decision in a bad situation, and as a result of that dumb decision, and Martin's worse decision(whether or not either was justified, they led to death, which makes them bad, in this case), a kid was killed. The question was one of whether the kid was killed in justifiable self-defense. I believe in the self-defense part, even if I don't think death was justified, or if shooting him in the chest was the best choice that Zimmerman could have made. I think he should pay compensation to the family for the funeral, at least, and show some measure of remorse for causing someone's death, regardless of the circumstances, but I don't think he should go to jail. Fairly sure someone would stab him in jail, anyway, since people in prison get news too.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2013, 04:01:50 pm »

No one here has acted even remotely racist, yet you keep bringing it up.

Have you read this thread?  Patriot wassisname wont shut up about how racist anyone who thinks zimmerman is guilty is.

Seriously, you bring this sanctemonious attitude to every conversation.

Oh noes, I am undone!

I thought the argument was about whether Zimmerman was racist, not the people who were calling him racist.

Although I don't see why race or racism has to do with the verdict, whether Zimmerman was justified or not, or whether or not Trayvon was a thug, etc. etc. etc.

I wonder if the same media debacle would have occurred if race/role was reversed?

Of course not, because then they couldn't make money pandering to overwhelming emotion and irrationality as a result of that; a reason that some here have omitted from saying anything with the fear that their argument will quickly break down.

Race matters to some, but only to those who search for reasons to make them feel powerless, entrenched in a battle against all else, and "YOU MUST FIGHT".

And, honestly, I'm the chief inconsiderate, idiotic, racist bigot here, so why should I care if Zimmerman, a Hispanic liberal Democrat who voted for and supported Obama, gets thrown into general pop and inevitably shanked?

*ahem, for those who don't know, no, I don't actually want him to get shanked and/or thrown into prison (whichever might come first). For that stuff get enlightened on Twitter or something*
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:08:37 pm by PatriotSaint »

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2013, 04:33:40 pm »

I think a clause should be added that says if the firearm is used, it has to have been in a situation you yourself didn't exacerbate for example by following someone around. I think that law in particular was meant for the opposite of what it was used for in this case and all it would take is a few more lines of text to put it back the way it was meant.

This is rather dangerous thinking.

At what point should one be considered following someone, and when can that person who suspects they are being followed retaliate as such?

Should I immediately declare "I am not following you" the moment I start walking behind anyone?  If someone is walking behind me on the same path for more than a minute, am I legally absolved of assault charges if I turn around and punch them?
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2013, 02:08:37 pm »

I think a clause should be added that says if the firearm is used, it has to have been in a situation you yourself didn't exacerbate for example by following someone around. I think that law in particular was meant for the opposite of what it was used for in this case and all it would take is a few more lines of text to put it back the way it was meant.

At what point should one be considered following someone, and when can that person who suspects they are being followed retaliate as such?

Should I immediately declare "I am not following you" the moment I start walking behind anyone?  If someone is walking behind me on the same path for more than a minute, am I legally absolved of assault charges if I turn around and punch them?

I think it might be different in plain day, but when you're following someone at night, for I don't know how long Zimmerman followed him? It's a bit more plain to see they're following you. I think it should be one of those where it leaves it up to the judgement of the jury 'I was walking down the street to my favorite restaurant, and this other guy comes out of nowhere around the corner and follows me there! I could have been in danger!' won't cut it. 'I was walking home from work after a long day, and the sun had set, and I see this guy kinda slouching and I thought he looked like he was trying to stay out of sight, and he was behind me for like half an hour. I could have been in danger!', on the other hand, is a very different story.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2013, 02:34:31 pm »

I think it might be different in plain day, but when you're following someone at night, for I don't know how long Zimmerman followed him? It's a bit more plain to see they're following you. I think it should be one of those where it leaves it up to the judgement of the jury 'I was walking down the street to my favorite restaurant, and this other guy comes out of nowhere around the corner and follows me there! I could have been in danger!' won't cut it. 'I was walking home from work after a long day, and the sun had set, and I see this guy kinda slouching and I thought he looked like he was trying to stay out of sight, and he was behind me for like half an hour. I could have been in danger!', on the other hand, is a very different story.

Judgement of the jury based on what? The jury is supposed to judge based upon the evidence and 'looking kinda suspicious' is very subjective and very hard to prove.

Also, did you think that such law would actually exacerbate the problem of racist violence? Someone who is racially prejudiced will be biased towards judging the behavior of a person of the race he is prejudiced against as more suspicious and give him an excuse to attack.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2013, 03:42:07 am »

Quite a few people have challenged the "Zimmerman is innocent" part in various places (although here I mean more "under a sensible set of laws he would not be innocent" rather than "under Florida's strange laws he is not innocent).  I guess not many have addressed the "Martin is a thug" part, so I guess I should now.
As far as I can tell, it boils down to
- He got suspended once for bunking off school
- He occasionally got into fights
- He took weed at some point
- He liked guns
- He exchanged some clearly humorous text messages about being a hoodlum
All of these things are pretty minor and apply to a significant proportion of people of Martin's age.  Note the complete lack of anything serious such as violent convictions or actual gang links.  The fact that he occasionally got into fights with other kids does not lend any credence to the idea that he suddenly decided he was going to murder a random person with his bare hands, in my opinion.
The notions of Trayvon's criminality or delinquency is in this case, at the risk of sounding amoral is largely irrelevant. It really only demonstrates a lack of inhibitions to crime, and without demonstrating that Trayvon was violent would be of little use. As is the case of Marissa, even if whoever was shot at was known as abusive or a murderer, shooting them would be illegal only in exception of a legitimate threat being presented. Trayvon provided such a threat with his attack on Zimmerman's skull.
Though if you must:
From bottom to top, your points addressed:
- I'd agree. However, only for one such text. You have managed to waltz past the parts that are relevant, it's not like Trayvon riding on a horse was going to change the outcome on a trial. The rest of the evidence however, could have.
- He liked guns. Yeah, there isn't anything suspect here, most people like guns.
- THC was in his body at most hours before fighting Zimmerman, he had been smoking marijuana before fighting. THC is known to relax inhibitions to aggression. Irrelevant in the face of other evidence.
- He occasionally fought other kids, we also know he attacked other kids. He wasn't getting into fights, he was causing them.
- He got suspended multiple times for fighting, drug possession, grafitti and possession of burglary tools and jewelry.
What is significant is that in his text messages he displayed brutish vindictiveness to his peers. This isn't even exaggeration:
In one of the fights he got into, the person he was fighting was "dat nigga who snitchd on me." His vindictiveness came up when he starts talking about how horrible it was that he lost the 1st round, pinned to the ground helpless, but that it was ok since he won the 2nd and 3rd round. His friend responded by saying he needs to stop lest he get suspended again, Trayvon replied saying they need to meet again, "he aint breed enuf 4 me, only his nose......... but afta dat im done"
Trayvon Martin had been told to move out by his mother [again, from the text messages on Trayvon's phone], where Trayvon was feeling like he needed to prove himself against someone. This is all relevant to explaining why Trayvon felt the need to pin George on the ground, punch in his nose and batter him bloody.

Going by the standard that made Martin a thug, Zimmerman was the love child of Hitler and Bin Laden.  If getting in fights in high school makes you a menace to society then what does getting in fights with police officers make you?  Oh but wait, that's totally not relevant to the case because it might bias the jury...
Yes, Adolf Bin Hitladen is best known for his bloodthirsty shoving of a police officer to defend his friend, Qatada Goebbels.

2) Martin attacked Zimmerman long after Zimmerman stopped following him. If Zimmerman had approached Martin and Martin had attacked him then, Martin could have claimed Stand Your Ground since he may not have known Zimmerman's intentions. Instead he ran away, Zimmerman stopped following him, and Martin turned around and attacked Zimmerman. Martin is the aggressor in this case. Following a man is not a crime (Even if it is stupid).
Is this established beyond a doubt, or based entirely on Zimmerman's implausible story (that includes a young man with a punctured lung giving a death speech)?
I can't tell if you're joking or if you're mocking Trayvon. 'You got me' is hardly some infinitely long ballad and Zimmerman's implausible story is the one that is supported by the evidence. The witness saw Trayvon attacking Zimmerman, and this was brought up by the prosecution. Zimmerman stopped following Trayvon, if he continued he would have saw much more than just the direction Trayvon roughly went, he wouldn't have ended up on the T intersection, and you know, the 911 call where he stopped wouldn't exist as it does.

The idea that Zimmerman wasn't aware of Martin until he was right on top of him is also laughable by the way and only works under the "Martin decided to murder a stranger for no reason, and so suddenly that he decided to hang up his phone in the middle of a conversation" theory.
"Yeah, what are the odds of Trayvon hanging up after finishing his conversation, walking down the main road to turn left at the intersection, to attack Zimmerman where he was waiting. He was still talking in the 4 minutes of silence, and George could clearly see the hostile intent radiating through the row of houses in between him and Trayvon. Couldn't George Zimmerman CLEARLY tell that Trayvon was only hitting his skull into the concrete to save him from headcrab attack? How could you confuse that for murderous intent at all?"

4) Zimmerman only shot Martin after he was pinned to the ground and was having his head bashed into concrete. Zimmerman was at risk for a concussion at best, death or brain damage at worst. He took the only option he reasonably could to prevent himself from becoming a drooling paperweight and shot the man who was attacking him. Martin had no ground to stand on: Zimmerman acted in pure self defense.
"Head bashed into the concrete" is still bullshit and not consistent with Zimmerman's injuries at all.  Like what, the first few bashes did nothing at all, but the next one, oh boy, that was going to turn him into a vegetable?
You don't know anything about head injuries, and it pains me horribly.
From the OP:
Also, because I don't think I made this point hard enough in my previous posts: Zimmerman's injuries were very minor.  He did not need any kind of medical treatment for them.  The idea that his head was being smashed against the ground at any point is a total lie, as he would have suffered far worse injuries if that were true.
Let us ignore the witness testimonies, the medical evidence, the idiotic notion that Zimmerman should have waited until he was incapacitated until he defended himself, or the fact that most severe head wounds [the NHS gives 97%] will not need treatment, or the fact that this reason is so full of spaghetti and fallacious reasoning that you could make a special dinner out of it - how on Earth do you think he got his wounds? Did he cold cock himself on the back of his head? Slip three times on the road to smash his nose and his head? Don't even answer, it's rhetorical. The wounds on his head were presented to the jury for a reason. They are evidence of Trayvon's intent.
You're mistaken if for a moment you believe it is a requirement to look like the black knight from Monty Python's holy grail to be justified in using lethal force in self-defence. Roderick's case, an earlier case exemplified this rather well.
And this one particularly pains me, because twice I've gotten head injuries. The first time I actually cracked the back of my head open, blood everywhere and surprisingly it didn't even need stitches, just some weird glue. The second time I was hit on the side of my head with a foil from the outside of a helmet. No scratches or bumps, not even a bruise. And that's when I experienced concussion for the first time, when black spots appeared in my vision and it became to painful to walk, and then too painful to stand. Surprise surprise, didn't need treatment.
And I think I just got a third cranial injury from planting my head into my desk reading this twice. Fuck my inconsistent head injuries.

Again, jury instructions (something the totally unbiased OP omitted) would have been radically changed by SYG.
                                                                     _ ~
But I included the main bits of the jury instructions o_O

a) Do not encourage people to pursue random people they regard as suspicious
b) Are not so vague that it's extremely to achieve a conviction for murder if there are no witnesses, even if the person claiming self-defence has no credible story
c) Require some responsibility on the part of the person using lethal force in response to a non-lethal attack
a) He stopped the moment it was known he should. This is already the way things are.
b) The story is credible, the evidence is supporting and there was a witness.
c) You can't hit someone's head onto concrete and call it non-lethal. You can have someone punching you with naught but your fists and fear for your life, the male body is built for combat.

I think the actual reason people chose right-wing bias was that you mentioned every talking point that's been showing up on right-wing news sources while ignoring or arbitrarily dismissing anything that went against the "Zimmerman is innocent and Martin is a thug" narrative.
Nah, I haven't been arbitrarily dismissing anything that went against the narrative, I've been disproving it. Because there isn't evidence to suggest otherwise, unless you count news falsification, which are just that. Call me right wing or whatever, but I came to this conclusion starting from a position where I had assumed Zimmerman was guilty, based off of stuff I heard from the news, and I ended up to the stance I have now from watching the trial. And if you haven't noticed, I detest the fact that facts have become talking points and that the right wing has done nothing to mitigate the politicization here. But I simply won't ignore the role the political left of America has done to make this all possible, from the media to the people and all the way back up to the administration. People are willing to ignore evidence because it's endorsed by those guys they disagree with on minor social issues yet agree on all else.

The idea that you're "just throwing truth out there" is laughable.  For example, you state that Martin "turned back and assaulted George Zimmerman."  There is no evidence to suggest this is true - at best it's a possibility the jury decided couldn't be ruled out.  As far as I can tell you are badly misreading Rachel Jeantel's testimony - she suggested that Martin may have hit first, but that he would've done it in response to physical provocation, since he wouldn't have abruptly hung up on her if he were planning to start a fight.  It wouldn't be at all unreasonable to see this as right-wing bias, due to the fact it's a talking point that every right-wing news source has latched on to.
Then the right-wing media too isn't telling everything.
Quote from: Zoidberg
What a surprise!
Zimmerman waited at the T intersection, Trayvon Martin was out of sight having gone around to the main road [around the corner of the intersection]. After hanging up there was 4 minutes between the 911 call and Trayvon's call. The witness saw the fight happen outside his house.
To entertain the idea that Zimmerman attacked Trayvon would be to say that Zimmerman and Trayvon were staring at each other for under 10 minutes before Zimmerman did something to move against Trayvon. All this time no one on dispatch heard Trayvon, heard running or heard fighting.
There's 100 yards of road and houses between the idea Zimmerman stalked and attacked Trayvon and what the eye witness saw and where the fight happened.
As far as I can tell you are badly misreading Rachel Jeantel's testimony - she suggested that Martin may have hit first, but that he would've done it in response to physical provocation, since he wouldn't have abruptly hung up on her if he were planning to start a fight.
She testified saying she thought he hung up because he was in another fight.

Does it?  Afternoon in the US is generally evening in the EU, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people post in the evening.
You notice the shifts in these times, especially the Ozzies.

What's actually happened is that you've decided Zimmerman was not only innocent under the law but fully justified in his actions, and now you want to lecture everyone about how they are bad progressives.
Half right, because I'm also saying republicans are correct but it seems they're only correct because they called the right coin flip.

Just as a note, and this is the only problem I personally had with the whole thing other than it being stupid that it's national news - the police didn't charge him, because of the Stand Your Ground laws. They didn't hold him, they didn't charge him, and they had no intention of actually doing so. The problem isn't Stand Your Ground laws - it is Florida's law in particular, which definitely played a major role here.
They held him in the station, interviewed him, Detective Serino interrogated him and berated him for shooting an unarmed minor.

Florida's Stand Your Ground law isn't the reason he got off - he got off because there was reasonable doubt, and good reason for it. But they are the reason this turned into the national wankfest that it is.
You know those two stories in the OP? I think they serve as good reference points. Despite being on his own property, the one guy was arrested and charged.
He was not on his property when he fired on the kids.

-Cont
Despite following someone else in public, Zimmerman was not.
Zimmerman had the bloody wounds on his head, Scott did not. I didn't even know this, but after watching it Detective Serino originally wanted to charge Zimmerman with manslaughter. He felt that Zimmerman did believe there a string of burglaries in the area, he believed that Zimmerman should have had little reason to believe that Trayvon was armed and he also believed it was highly likely that Zimmerman exaggerated his wounds but there was nothing to suggest that his story wasn't true - this was after they did their own investigation.
In Scott's case they didn't have any verifiable information that awarded reasonable doubt until the trial. Cervini had abrasions to the face and leg as well as two gunshots, and unlike Trayvon's case where the bullet did not exit the body from entering those ones did. It was not possible to tell if Cervini was shot in the back, fleeing, whereas Trayvon was shot in the front of the torso with no exit wound and an eye witness account confirming that Trayvon was on top of Zimmerman. Scott and Zimmerman both approached who they shot at some point, Zimmerman stopped, Scott did not. Scott approached Cervini with his gun drawn, Zimmerman did not do the same either.
This is also a bit of extra useful information:
The police did handle this somewhat oddly, but isn't it likely that Zimmerman had a relationship with the police department prior? He was the person behind defending the homeless man who was beaten, and from what I read it caused quite some controversy within the local department. He's also neighborhood watch, meaning he's likely collaborated with the police before.
Not saying that excuses it at all, it's just likely that the police knew him beforehand, and decided not to instantly imprison him due to past events.
Uh, if anything the police would not like Zimmerman because he apparently got into a fist-fight with an off-duty police officer. He was sticking up for some friend of his and the cop didn't announce himself as such, so he got let off on charges of 'assaulting a police officer' so charged but never brought to court.
He might have had some credibility with neighbors he helped, but police don't care. Sanford is part of Orlando, it's a big city. It's not some small-town dump where everyone knows each other since elementary. Nobody knows anybody there. The police only know him by his record.
Yeah the police didn't know who he was when they started interrogating him.

Instead, they waited 45 days to charge him. He wasn't taken into custody. They did not do any drug tests. They did not investigate, and seemed to have no intent on ever actually doing so. Can you blame people for suspecting racism and being furious? Roderick was immediately brought into custody! They investigated! Here, the police refused to do so, and in circumstances that were, let us be honest, a bit more questionable and a lot less clear cut (Roderick case: Crime in progress, own property, multiple witnesses, criminal gets shot, come on, it doesn't even really compare on that front).
Multiple witnesses, Sanford police conduct investigation, find no just cause for prosecution, no trial. On a jurisdictional level New York also has stricter law.

Aaand I think that's the last of the trial for me to blather on about.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2013, 04:07:42 am »

PTW

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2013, 04:35:34 am »

I don't have much time, but if Trayvon's criminality (or total lack thereof) is "largely irrelevant" then you are showing clear evidence of bias by attempting to prove that he was a thug.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2013, 04:40:11 am »

I don't have much time, but if Trayvon's criminality (or total lack thereof) is "largely irrelevant" then you are showing clear evidence of bias by attempting to prove that he was a thug.
Stealing jewelry from houses and doing drugs makes you a petty criminal. When violence becomes involved, that is where the definition of thug applies. The more you know.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2013, 04:41:37 am »

Trayvon was not the one on trial...
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2013, 04:44:57 am »

Trayvon was not the one on trial...
The prosecution brought it up by putting George's fighting capabilities forward as evidence to the jury. The prosecution also withheld the evidence that would explain Trayvon's motive to attack, were it true. To be able to claim self defence, there must be something to defend against. It should have and had to have been examined.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11