Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 2073 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some questions
« on: October 24, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

Hello, I just started my first game of dwarf fortress. The learning curve is pretty intimidating, but my fortress is growing.  :)

I have a couple questions about the game

1- I have a fishery set to be built, but my carpenter just ignores it and won't build.

2- I found an underground river and I'm building a bridge across it, but is there any way to queue up more than one bridge tile at a time?

3- I set one dwarf to animal training, how do I get him to start training my dogs?

Thanks!

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 11:27:00 am »

1) get a fisherdwarf to build it.
2) select more then one stone to build the bridge with, and then use the keys the game tells you to, to enlarge the bridge. 20 stones will give you a 10x10 bridge, about.
3) build a kennel.

Btwilley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 11:28:00 am »

1- I have a fishery set to be built, but my carpenter just ignores it and won't build.

Fishermen build fisherys, not carpenters. Use Q and hover over it, and it will tell you what it needs.

2- I found an underground river and I'm building a bridge across it, but is there any way to queue up more than one bridge tile at a time?

Use "U, H, K, M" to change the size of the bridges this also goes for farms, chanels, and other things.

3- I set one dwarf to animal training, how do I get him to start training my dogs?

You need to build a kennel.

ekkud Egenid was supposedly killed by one of those "elephant" things the commoners have started dreaming up. I swear he killed himself just to piss me off with their lame fantasy.
I do wonder how he managed to break his own back though.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 11:31:00 am »

1. Ok so the way workshops are built in this game is based on labors. In the case of a fishery you need your fisherdwarves to build it. however they are generally going to be fishing so it will take a long while for your fishery to be built.
2.Yes you use the u/m for wider and thinner respectively up and down and the k/h for longer and shorter. You also generally need to specify more then one unit of building material for longer bridges.
3. You need to build a kennel, and that is in the build menu

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 11:37:00 am »

Thanks! I see the key commands at the bottom for bridge building now. I need to be a bit more observant.

How do I get my fisher dwarf to build? He was fishing, so I turned off fishing in his labor menu to see if he'd go build it, but he just kept fishing

edit: Didn't see the post above, he went and built after a while.

Another question- Why was a random dolomite wall erected in front of my cave entrance? I never requested a wall to be built. Is this automatic?

[ October 24, 2007: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 11:58:00 am »

Wiles,

For fishery's, your Fisherdwarf will almost always be fishing. It is, in my experience, best to assign a second dwarf the labour of Fish Cleaning, so that they will build the fishery and subsequently do what you want with the fish (Prepare).

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »

You can't even build walls in this version unless you are using a custom program for it. Are you sure you aren't just mistaking it for an object or something?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 12:36:00 pm »

Is the dolomite wall part of a workshop? That's all I can think of off hand; dwarf-made walls, random or otherwise, sounds very odd (in this version; the one coming out in a week or so should have them). Workshops have a few blocking tiles when you build them, I think the blocked tiles are shown in a darker color of green when you're placing them. If you built a workshop using dolomite rocks in front of your cave entrance you may have accidentally placed one of those tiles in front of the entrance.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 02:11:00 pm »

The dolomite wall is probably just an embedded rock. Is it a comma? Using look [k] it will say "Dolomite" I think, whereas a wall would read "Dolomite Wall".

Welcome to the forum!

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:15:00 pm »

I guess the only thing I can think of is that I didn't mine a portion of dolomite cave wall when I thought I did.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 05:25:00 pm »

I have a few more questions  :)

I don't have a road, but human traders came to my depot anyway (even after it said they were going to bypass me). Is this normal? They may have been chased by elephants, since I found a dead guard of theirs. (Which my dwarves went to collect from and ended up getting trampled by elephants so I had to lock them in the mountain for a bit)

Is there any way to send a soldier on a mission to attack a certain animal? One of the elephants in named now for squashing the guard and my farmer, I'd like to repay him  ;)

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »

The Humans will trade with you via Mule if you have a trade depot and no road.

The Humans - Wagons will bypass you. The wagons bring more goods in and hold a ton more weight so they can haul more out so I usually try to have the road built before the second summer. (The humans first visit.)

Many guys I've read don't build the road until before the 3rd summer.

I do not know how to attack a specific animal.

the best I can think of is to make sure your dwarf has his preferences set to harrass wildlife (military screen and "V" him.)

and then using the X key station him or patrol him in the vicinity of the offensive animal. Though if it's an elephant I suggest leaving it alone.

No sense throwing good dwarven meat after bad.

[ October 25, 2007: Message edited by: MJ working ]

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »

The humans will always sent mules with goods to your fortress.  Its the wagons that bypass your site.  When you get a road they come with wagonloads of goods.  Though usually its just rope reed cloth...

I wouldn't bother the elephants with you.  Believe me, they don't die easily. Besides there are easier ways to kill you dwarves.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »

Human traders have two classes. There are the small traders, who come on mule/horseback to just about anywhere, and do small trading. There's then the big business traders who bring along entire wagons to trade in serious amounts. Of course, they don't want to bust up their wagons traveling over rough/hazardous surface, so they want roads.

As far as military, maybe station a squad next to where the animal hangs out?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 06:45:00 pm »

What can I do about the elephants then? They won't let me build a road, they keep chasing my dwarves whenever they get out that way. I'm going to try trapping them, but there are a lot!
Pages: [1] 2 3