Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Endgame content?  (Read 1515 times)

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Endgame content?
« on: October 29, 2007, 11:58:00 pm »

I remember one update regarding endgame content, but I'm wondering what defines "endgame" now. It's not like we can dig to the right until we reach the demons. Perhaps you have to dig down, now? It's a bit discouraging, to be honest, to not have the reward of a magma river after a solid amount of digging and work.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Endgame content?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 06:03:00 pm »

Yeah, this most recent updated doesn't really have much along those lines.  There's some stuff down there, sometimes, but it's not a clear goal to work toward.  Aside from making mountain innards more interesting, the game's now going to start looking toward your impact on the larger world.  Once you can translate your mountain's wealth into tangible effects on the world, I think things will become more satisfying.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Plasma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 08:35:00 am »

Adamantite and demon pits are still in, they're down at the very bottom level. Getting down there is easy: finding the adamantite is hard!

Edit: apparently they come in pairs. Insted of the adamantite leading to the big-ass demon, it leads to the demon pits instead. Also, there's a bit of magma by them pits too.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Plasma ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 08:43:00 am »

quote:
Adamantite and demon pits are still in, they're down at the very bottom level.

Is that for every site or just particular ones?

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 09:48:00 am »

im going to take a wild ass guess at this, but if its just particular sites then you may have to talk to people in adventure mode until you hear about a mountain range or specific location where a demon was encased in adamantine.  then you would site a fort there.

you could hear such rumors in the old version, at least.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 10:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Yeah, this most recent updated doesn't really have much along those lines.  There's some stuff down there, sometimes, but it's not a clear goal to work toward.  Aside from making mountain innards more interesting, the game's now going to start looking toward your impact on the larger world.  Once you can translate your mountain's wealth into tangible effects on the world, I think things will become more satisfying.</STRONG>

Awesome news Toady. I must say that once the military + diplomacy systems will be added, this game will be even more awesome. I just cant wait to send out my army for high adventures!
  :D

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 10:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dame de la Licorne:
<STRONG>

Is that for every site or just particular ones?</STRONG>

it's not always there, I spent a couple hours playing with reveal and didn't see any. the only time I found any was in the 3x3 fort that had adamantine and two chasms.

Plasma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 07:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dame de la Licorne:
<STRONG>

Is that for every site or just particular ones?</STRONG>

Huh. I don't really know.

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 11:24:00 am »

Hey, Today, do you have any tips for maximizing the chance of getting a pit, in a standard-sized map? I haven't had any luck so far, and I don't particularily want to use the reveal tool.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 06:02:00 pm »

Translate effects in fortress mode into the game?  That's something I've really been looking forward to.

Sometimes I start a fortress that just doesn't seem to be permanent-settlement material, but it's rich in gold.  I wish my little guys could stay for a few years, mine and smelt all the gold into bars and coins, then abandon the fortress and bring their riches back to their motherland, making it richer and stronger.

Or have the ability to not so much abandon a fortress but simply stop controlling it.  Make it become a new dwarf city on the map.  sometimes I have a successful fortress up and running and I just see no reason that it needs my imput anymore to keep going.  No reason it should become abandoned ruins when I stop playing it.

BlueDestiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »

One way to send out your fortress with a bang is to turn it into a deadly dungeon, like something from the Legend of Zelda. Stick a trade depot at the end with adamantine everything as a reward!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 06:49:00 pm »

There's one pit square in every world map mountain tile.  I don't remember if it has to be within one of the mountain squares in the local map.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 08:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>There's one pit square in every world map mountain tile.  I don't remember if it has to be within one of the mountain squares in the local map.</STRONG>

This is incredibly heartening to hear. Now all I need to do is pray that I'll find a mountain tile with very few mountain squares, in the case that it has to be in one of them.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 10:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kjoery:
<STRONG>
This is incredibly heartening to hear. Now all I need to do is pray that I'll find a mountain tile with very few mountain squares, in the case that it has to be in one of them.</STRONG>

Or:
1) Back up the world.
2) Build an FPS-crushing max-size fortress (Or rather, don't build, just embark.).
3a) Make seven miners drill exploratory staircase shafts one tile wide everywhere until you find the pit.
3b) Alternatively, designate the entire bottom layer for digging and run REVEAL.EXE.
4) Save, Abandon, or End Task, it doesn't matter because you're going to reload since Reclaim is buggered up currently. And anyway you don't want a realm-spanning processor-taxing fortress, you want the goods.
5) Copy back your backed up world.
6) Build your real fortress in a 3x3 (or whatever) area containing the pits... you DID note down where they were on the minimap, didn't you?
7) Rest.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 12:35:00 am »

Alfador, that's loosely what I did (minus 3x3, my fort is actually something weird like 4 x 12 or such), if you're doing this, reveal is the way to go. Having the miners dig will take forever at the fps you'll be getting.