Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 72229 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Airship Combat: Rocket man.
« Reply #780 on: August 20, 2013, 06:11:38 pm »

How many wing engines can be placed on one side?

How do portholes and the like affect armor and damage anyway?
1. As many as fit. The system doesn't really have anything about balancing the thrust yet, so you could hypothetically put 10 on one side and be good. Though you'd be fucked if they got a good shot at that side.

2. Depends on how big they are, where they're placed and the angle that a shot is coming in from. Generally, if they're fairly small, it won't effect too much. Having a big hole in your ship leading to its squishy innards is probably a poor idea, though.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 20, 2013, 06:31:36 pm »

Though you'd be fucked if they got a good shot at that side.

Having a big hole in your ship leading to its squishy innards is probably a poor idea, though.
Challenge considered!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 20, 2013, 06:35:16 pm »

I mean for cannons and things, sticking out of walls.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 20, 2013, 06:38:07 pm »

I'm up for the custom airship test, two questions though: one, can we use doors as external hatches (for cannons); and two, are ships harder to hit based on cross-section?

Edit: The shipbuilding grid mastahcheese provided is ~43 pixel squares. Can you give us an official one with the correct 50 pixel grid Piecewise?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:22:45 pm by The Ensorceler »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 20, 2013, 09:31:37 pm »

I'm up for the custom airship test, two questions though: one, can we use doors as external hatches (for cannons); and two, are ships harder to hit based on cross-section?

Edit: The shipbuilding grid mastahcheese provided is ~43 pixel squares. Can you give us an official one with the correct 50 pixel grid Piecewise?
When I open mine with paint, it's 50.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 20, 2013, 10:33:56 pm »

That's weird... wait, what are the total dimensions on the picture? Resizing it to the actual dimensions might reset the grid squares so they no longer blur and stuff.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 20, 2013, 10:53:40 pm »

That's weird... wait, what are the total dimensions on the picture? Resizing it to the actual dimensions might reset the grid squares so they no longer blur and stuff.
1200 x 1000 pixels.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 21, 2013, 12:00:04 am »

http://i.imgur.com/AEMlzqY.png

1250 x 1000 for 25 squares by 20 squares.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #788 on: August 21, 2013, 10:22:54 am »

An official grid has been added to the released materials folder on the OP.

http://i.imgur.com/AEMlzqY.png

1250 x 1000 for 25 squares by 20 squares.

Your squares seem to be 52X50. They also have some sort of weird transparency effect; where none of the lines are hard black. Is that something caused by whatever program you used?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #789 on: August 21, 2013, 10:28:11 am »

In other news, I've added the section on how to fly a ship, and am now working on the portion about how damage is meted out. I am also currently working on the player weapons. Here's an example:

Name: S&A-66 Hunter
Ammo:10
Type: Agility (pistol)
Wound Modifier: None
Weight: 3
Minimum attack dice: NA
Melee Modifier: NA
Bonuses:NA
Range: 0-3:0
   4-5:-1
   6-8:-3
   9-10:-5
   11 on: NA
Environmental Damage:1
Description: Spring and Arbor's top selling pistol. Carried by every penniless thug in the lower districts. Carries S&A's Trademark Bronze color and stylized gear insignia.
Cost:

Name: Bishop-Keller Model 8
Ammo: 6
Type: Agility (revolver)
Wound Modifier:+1
Weight: 4
Minimum attack dice:NA
Melee Modifier:NA
Bonuses:NA
Range:0-2:0
   3-4:-1
   5-7:-3
   8-9:-5
   10 on: NA
Environmental Damage:2
Description: A popular weapon amongst those who can afford to pay Bishop-Keller's prices. Black metal with silver etching of various kinds. It's quality if far from merely cosmetic; like all BK weapons, it is considered to be the elite of standard arms.
Cost:

Name: Sansoon 83 “Buzzbox”
Ammo:20
Type: Agility (Machine Pistol)
Wound Modifier: NA
Weight: 4
Melee Modifier:NA
Bonuses: Full Auto (If used Causes 1d4 wounds, but attack pool is reduced by 1/3)
Range: 0-2:0
   3-4:-1
   5-7:-3
   8-9:-5
   10 on: NA
Environmental Damage: 1
Description: A rare example of a Non-clockwork Sansoon. It bears their trademark red and gold detailing and the high rate of fire they're famous for.
Cost:

Name: Bishop-Keller-505 “Bodyguard”
Ammo:35
Type: Agility (Small Submachine gun)
Wound Modifier:+1 within 4 range.
Weight: 5
Melee Modifier:0
Bonuses: Full Auto (If used Causes 1d4 wounds, but attack pool is reduced by 1/3)
Range: 1-4:0
   5-8:-2
   9-10:-4
   11-12:-6
   13 on :NA
Description:Marketed as the weapon of choice for private bodyguards and well to do Airmen, the 505 is small enough to be easily concealed but still powerful and packing a large magazine. The first run of these firearms carried a distinctive silver ivy etching which gained them the popular moniker of “Nightshade”.
Cost:

Name: S&A Underhang Special
Ammo:23
Type: Submachine gun (Dexterity)
Weight: 7
Minimum attack dice:NA
Melee Modifier:-3
Bonuses: Full Auto (If used causes 1d4 wounds, but attack pool is reduced by 1/3)
Range: 1-4:0
   5-6:-3
   7-9:-5
   10-12:-7
   13 on: NA
Description: A favorite of  underhang and lower level gang enforcers, ductmen, and similarly unscrupulous individuals. It's not particularly powerful or accurate, especially considering it's size as a full sized submachine gun, but it's cheap and readily available.
Cost:

Name: CA-IDW 4
Ammo:30
Type: Submachine gun (Dexterity)
Weight: 7
Melee Modifier:-2
Bonuses:Full Auto (If used causes 1d4 wounds, but attack pool is reduced by 1/3)
Range:1-5:0
   5-8:-2
   9-11:-4
   12-15:-6
   16 on NA
Environmental Damage:1
Description:The Cloudcutter Arsenal's Interior Defense Weapon MK 4. A standard on many airships, carried by crewmen patrolling tight interior spaces.
Cost:

Cost will be added after everything is complete, so I can balance it more easily. The list of gun types I've been working with so far is:
Pistol/revolver
Machine Pistol
Submachine gun
Assault rifle
Single shot rifle/carbine
Sniper rifle
Shotgun
Minigun
Grenade Launcher
Rocket Launcher
Flame Thrower

If you guys can think of anything I'm missing, let me know.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 21, 2013, 10:40:21 am »

I don't think you're missing anything... Do you have anything with multiple fire modes? Usually select fire and full auto, but sometimes a multi round burst too.
Weapons look good though, and I approve of the flavour text greatly.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 21, 2013, 01:34:51 pm »

You're missing normal machine guns.  I'm not sure if that's intentional, but I'd think miniguns wouldn't be the only large suppression-style gun.

And I really like what you're doing with the guns.  What with the company names, and the stats you have for them.  Makes a gun nut like me squeal in delight! :P  How are you going to handle ammunition?  Just "Subgun ammo, Pistol ammo, Rifle ammo", or "5.7x28, 9mm, 5.56"?  And are you going to have special cartridges, like incendiary?

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 21, 2013, 02:02:13 pm »

You're missing normal machine guns.  I'm not sure if that's intentional, but I'd think miniguns wouldn't be the only large suppression-style gun.

And I really like what you're doing with the guns.  What with the company names, and the stats you have for them.  Makes a gun nut like me squeal in delight! :P  How are you going to handle ammunition?  Just "Subgun ammo, Pistol ammo, Rifle ammo", or "5.7x28, 9mm, 5.56"?  And are you going to have special cartridges, like incendiary?
You know what I would fine hilarious, and what would probably be for many tantamount to dancing on the graves of their ancestors? If for the purposes of simplicity, the ammunition sizes would be put only in whole numbers.

So instead of 5.56 we'd just have 5mm, 9mm would be unchanced, et cetera. I hope I'm being clear enough, he he he.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #793 on: August 21, 2013, 02:37:25 pm »

Thats one of the things I was considering. I want to have varied ammo types, such as Hollow points that do no environmental damage but have boosted wound damage, thats for sure. But I'm not sure if I should go with either Specific ammo types like 9mm or 5.56" or if I should just simplify with "Pistol ammo: HP, incendiary, Armor Piercing. Revolver ammo: HP, Incendiary, armor piercing, etc."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 21, 2013, 05:15:21 pm »

Now that I re-read what I said, I realize it looks more like I just wanted the really detailed names.  I actually intended to ask if certain calibers could be used in multiple gun types, or certain gun types could have multiple calibers within them.  For example, Some SMGs use 9mm, some use .45, and some use .22.  All of which are also used in pistols, and a few carbines.

Mostly this would be nice because then a person could have both a pistol and SMG, in the same caliber.  It would simplify ammo management for multiple weapons, and would prevent situations where you're out of ammo for your SMG, but not for your pistol.  Granted, those could create fun situations.

IMO, if you're just going to have each category have a single caliber all to itself, then it would be silly to give the calibers real-ish names.  Just SMG ammo works, and is way less confusing to the vast majority of people.

Although... Thear, why is "5mm" better than "5.56"?  It's just one character less.  Granted, it does have a double, but still.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55