Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 72242 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Airship Combat: Now with More, probably hard to follow, Tutorials
« Reply #480 on: July 28, 2013, 09:54:21 pm »

You should like that there is literally a category of skills called "Skullduggery"
Yay! I am very happy to hear this. We'll see how it goes.

We'll see if anyone will be able to match Jack Sparrow level of "Skullduggery".
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:56:08 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 28, 2013, 09:55:46 pm »

Has gun skill been split up?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 28, 2013, 09:57:05 pm »

I leave for the day and the next thing I see is a bunch of people saying "In" for the next game, in the absense of any Piecewise's request for signups yet. Why would that happen?
Probably because all of Piecewise's games are Awesome, so any possible chance of getting in one is sufficient reason to post "in".
No matter how retorical a question is, someone will always answer it. Now why would that happen? Now don't you dare fucking answer this, you, who pressed "quote" on this post. The beauty of retorical questions, is that they are best left unanswered.

Probably because it's difficult to tell you meant it as rhetorical since it's just text. Why wouldn't I?  That's half the fun of rhetorical questions!Also, rhetorical is correct.  Not retorical. *Eye twitch*

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #483 on: July 28, 2013, 10:15:18 pm »

Has gun skill been split up?
Yes it has. Specifically gun skills fall under the ranged category, but the stat they use is dependent on the type of weapon. This way guns are not restricted solely to Dex characters. As it is, Agility gets small guns like pistols and revolvers, Dexterity gets larger guns like rifles, and Strength gets sprayers, like flame throwers.

So someone could charge into battle wielding a great ax and a flame thrower, or a Rapier and a pistol, or a katana and a bolt action rifle.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 28, 2013, 10:17:20 pm »

What stat are my precious deck guns associated with?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 28, 2013, 10:23:26 pm »

So if you used a rocket launcher, it would be strength based, I assume?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #487 on: July 28, 2013, 10:28:27 pm »

What stat are my precious deck guns associated with?
Your deck guns are actually an entirely different thing. Under the Gunnery umbrella thats used to cover all the ship based weaponry, like cannons, missiles and the like. It's dex based.

Are there high-caliber man-portable anti-materiel rifles?  And if so, do they use strength (Because they're heavy) or dexterity (Because they're used as sniper rifles)?

Sorry, I just love playing sniper characters.
Dexterity.

So if you used a rocket launcher, it would be strength based, I assume?
It's not under ranged. It's actually under explosives. But yeah, it's strength based.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 28, 2013, 10:58:52 pm »

Having different guns fall under agility, dexterity, and strength feels really weird. It's a completely artifial distinction, and also locks you into the weapon combinations.

Maybe instead of that have things like "aiming," "eyesight," "steady hands," and "quick reactions"? So heaving a rocket launcher would need a certain Strength (+steady hands), low levels of which would subtract from the aiming skill (Dexterity), etc. And "eyesight" would then be important for firing it at a longer range. And having a low explosives skill could cause the stuff to blow up in the air or in your face. Although I don't understand why a rocket launcher would be under "explosives". It's not dynamite, and you're not really setting a fuse. You're just firing it like a gun.

Sorry if the last paragraph was a bit unclear, kind of hard to create examples without an actual system.

Anyway, or we could just choose 1/2/3 weapons to benefit from our "prefered weapons" skills. And then choose 2 more to benefit from "secondary weapons skills". It may make a little less sense (now that I think about it, it probably actually makes more sense) than having it be directly Str/Dex related, but it will help people avoid being locked in to stuff like Rapier/Pistol combinations.

PS: And actually, the most important skill during melee combat is neither Strength nor Dexterity, but Endurance. That, and knowing what you're doing. Experience, in other words. As the masters say, strength and speed are fasle gods. I demand being able to exhaust my enemies!

PPS: This is getting to the point of being silly, but it would also be cool to be able to invest points in reserves of fat. Being fat is good.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:11:01 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 28, 2013, 11:56:13 pm »

You're just firing it like a gun

Good luck with that. Not like it has a back-blast so you can't brace it in the same way as a rifle, shotgun, machine gun, revolver, pistol, or carbine. Not like it has a projectile on the end that's larger than the 'barrel'. Not like it fires slower projectiles than most any projectile weapon that uses gunpowder.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 29, 2013, 12:04:16 am »

You're just firing it like a gun

Good luck with that. Not like it has a back-blast so you can't brace it in the same way as a rifle, shotgun, machine gun, revolver, pistol, or carbine. Not like it has a projectile on the end that's larger than the 'barrel'. Not like it fires slower projectiles than most any projectile weapon that uses gunpowder.
Not like it still has more in common with guns than setting up mine fields. Not like firing a rocket launcher requires no actual knowledge of how to make or set up explosives. Not like you're making the shells yourself.

Am I making myself clear? Honestly, if you want to argue that a rocket launcher does not fire like a gun, I can agree. But in that case might as well lump it together with flamethrower, not explosives.

Jatha

• Bay Watcher
  • And people say I have no sense of irony...
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 29, 2013, 12:04:43 am »

I think my post was buried, so I'll ask again: will there be fighter planes in the next test game?

Also, IN!!!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #492 on: July 29, 2013, 08:56:24 am »

Having different guns fall under agility, dexterity, and strength feels really weird. It's a completely artifial distinction, and also locks you into the weapon combinations.

Maybe instead of that have things like "aiming," "eyesight," "steady hands," and "quick reactions"? So heaving a rocket launcher would need a certain Strength (+steady hands), low levels of which would subtract from the aiming skill (Dexterity), etc. And "eyesight" would then be important for firing it at a longer range. And having a low explosives skill could cause the stuff to blow up in the air or in your face. Although I don't understand why a rocket launcher would be under "explosives". It's not dynamite, and you're not really setting a fuse. You're just firing it like a gun.

Sorry if the last paragraph was a bit unclear, kind of hard to create examples without an actual system.

Anyway, or we could just choose 1/2/3 weapons to benefit from our "prefered weapons" skills. And then choose 2 more to benefit from "secondary weapons skills". It may make a little less sense (now that I think about it, it probably actually makes more sense) than having it be directly Str/Dex related, but it will help people avoid being locked in to stuff like Rapier/Pistol combinations.

PS: And actually, the most important skill during melee combat is neither Strength nor Dexterity, but Endurance. That, and knowing what you're doing. Experience, in other words. As the masters say, strength and speed are fasle gods. I demand being able to exhaust my enemies!

PPS: This is getting to the point of being silly, but it would also be cool to be able to invest points in reserves of fat. Being fat is good.

Yes, it's artificial, but it's like that so that people don't, or at least don't have to, dump all their points into one stat just to use one type of weapon. It's designed to allow people to be competent with multiple things, rather then really good at one thing and strangely terrible at everything else.

Also, endurance is a thing. It's just not the thing used to determine damage in combat. Fights that go on for more then two or three rounds will start having end rolls of increasing difficulty. Failing those end rolls means temporarily losing dice from the pool you're fighting with. In other words, you can tire out and become weaker as the fight progresses.

I think my post was buried, so I'll ask again: will there be fighter planes in the next test game?

Also, IN!!!
Yep. 2 kinds actually. Two different ways to get horribly shot and killed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:09:11 am by piecewise »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 29, 2013, 09:15:16 am »

I was actually more/just as concerned about people getting locked in into a weapon combination. To quote you: "great ax and a flame thrower, or a Rapier and a pistol, or a katana and a bolt action rifle".
So can someone who wants to fight with a rapier and a bolt action rifle be just as menacing as somebody who goes Rapier and a pistol?

Also, I don't understand how
Maybe instead of that have things like "aiming," "eyesight," "steady hands," and "quick reactions"? So heaving a rocket launcher would need a certain Strength (+steady hands), low levels of which would subtract from the aiming skill (Dexterity), etc. And "eyesight" would then be important for firing it at a longer range.
would lead to
dump all their points into one stat just to use one type of weapon.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:19:07 am by Thearpox »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #494 on: July 29, 2013, 09:40:23 am »

I was actually more/just as concerned about people getting locked in into a weapon combination. To quote you: "great ax and a flame thrower, or a Rapier and a pistol, or a katana and a bolt action rifle".
So can someone who wants to fight with a rapier and a bolt action rifle be just as menacing as somebody who goes Rapier and a pistol?

Also, I don't understand how
Maybe instead of that have things like "aiming," "eyesight," "steady hands," and "quick reactions"? So heaving a rocket launcher would need a certain Strength (+steady hands), low levels of which would subtract from the aiming skill (Dexterity), etc. And "eyesight" would then be important for firing it at a longer range.
would lead to
dump all their points into one stat just to use one type of weapon.
I should explain that skills offer more dice to the pool then stats, and that stats are not wildly differentiated in this game, at least not at the beginning. You all start with a few points in each stat and none in skills and then have points to distribute as you want. You can sink all your points into dex and still use strength weapons perfectly fine as long as you put a point or 3 into the skills.

As per your Aiming, Eyesight, etc thing, it wouldn't cause over specialty, but I fear that those would lead to even more artificial distinctions; like weapons that use one of those skills much more then others or confusion over exactly what the difference between them is. Also, it would inevitably end with speed being the god stat. Because it would probably be like "Roll quick reactions to see who gets their shot in first" and then no one would ever be able to beat someone who just sunk a bunch of points in speed. And I've been trying to get away from that for a while now.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 55