Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 72273 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Airship Combat: Now with More, probably hard to follow, Tutorials
« Reply #450 on: July 27, 2013, 09:17:40 pm »

If the gun gets ripped off, can we hold on to it and climb up to the enemies' deck?
If you manage to survive the superhuman feats of holding on as it's ripped out and then climbing up the chain, then yeah, you could. It's not something I would recommend though.
I don't think it's all that superhuman, but it'd be difficult. Climbing up the chain isn't superhuman, certainly. Not letting go depends on how fast the thing rips off; if you cling to it with arms and legs at the back, you should be able to do it, though the tearing apart of walls could give you splinters. Still wouldn't recommend it, especially since you'd be by yourself.

You could simply climb the chain across to their deck.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #451 on: July 27, 2013, 10:55:59 pm »

If the gun gets ripped off, can we hold on to it and climb up to the enemies' deck?
If you manage to survive the superhuman feats of holding on as it's ripped out and then climbing up the chain, then yeah, you could. It's not something I would recommend though.
I don't think it's all that superhuman, but it'd be difficult. Climbing up the chain isn't superhuman, certainly. Not letting go depends on how fast the thing rips off; if you cling to it with arms and legs at the back, you should be able to do it, though the tearing apart of walls could give you splinters. Still wouldn't recommend it, especially since you'd be by yourself.

You could simply climb the chain across to their deck.
It getting torn off means that you basically have to have two ships going opposite directions at maximum speed. It would be a bit like trying to hold on to a fridge that accelerates from 0 to 60 because its being pulled by a speeding train. A fridge that is then pulled through a 5 inch thick wooden wall and the metal plating beyond it.

Splinters are the least of your worries.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 27, 2013, 11:07:39 pm »

Well, that's part of my question; is a ship at speed three going 30 mph then?

Because, also, realistically, it'll jerk and there'll be moment as it the chain goes taut, then stuff starts ripping and tearing, chain goes to one side, and the harpoon gun gets ripped out. And then decelerates quickly, as it falls, and starts swinging like a pendulum(or, depending on the weight, ripping the holder out)

Though, actually, realistically, it would just tear out of their ship completely before the harpoon would come loose, if the people who made it had a semblance of intelligence.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #453 on: July 27, 2013, 11:23:53 pm »

Well, that's part of my question; is a ship at speed three going 30 mph then?

Because, also, realistically, it'll jerk and there'll be moment as it the chain goes taut, then stuff starts ripping and tearing, chain goes to one side, and the harpoon gun gets ripped out. And then decelerates quickly, as it falls, and starts swinging like a pendulum(or, depending on the weight, ripping the holder out)

Though, actually, realistically, it would just tear out of their ship completely before the harpoon would come loose, if the people who made it had a semblance of intelligence.
Can't give you a definite speed. Mostly because if I do, I fear people can back calculate the size of the squares and find out they're something stupidly large and people are making cannon shots from 6 miles or something.

Yeah, it's much more a gameplay thing then a reality thing. Like with a lot of things, I skew reality a bit for the sake of fun. Really, when it reaches that point it will tear out and so will the harpoon on the other ship. It will rip them both free. But I've decided that if someone is fool enough to hang on to that gun end when it happens, I'm gonna give'em that chance to survive and climb up.

Anywhoo, Devlog for today: I've made good progress getting the weapons set up, only a few left to stat out and then I can move on to the systems and such. Things are progressing quickly and hopefully I can have the entire thing ready within the next few days, barring unforeseen delays. Worked on the map for the next test as well. It's fairly simple, more proof of concept then anything, but it's much larger then the past one, spanning 10 vertical layers and incorporating physical obstacles.

I'm also working on getting ship design condensed into a easy to understand format. Hopefully it will make sense and let people do what they want.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 27, 2013, 11:26:24 pm »

You'd also need to define how long a turn is. And making cannon shots from 10 miles away isn't so bad if the cannons are more like modern artillery.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 27, 2013, 11:31:22 pm »

But then you need muzzle velocities and Newton's Third Law and people wanting to do silly things like strafing via firing all the guns like that and no just no.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 28, 2013, 12:26:46 am »

I leave for the day and the next thing I see is a bunch of people saying "In" for the next game, in the absense of any Piecewise's request for signups yet. Why would that happen?

Anyway, I think I'll sit this one out. But I'll still join the actual game, or the third test, if we need it.

Since the harpoons have a potential to be a cheap turning mechanism, what are the possibilities for latching harpoons on to terrain? And then we could detach the chain from the ship once it's served it's purpose.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:44:58 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 28, 2013, 01:19:50 am »

Would we be able to modify a harpoon to fire the other end separately so that we can tether ships to landforms or other ships?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 28, 2013, 02:33:10 am »

Actually, I was thinking about downscaling everything in such a way that the top speed is 9 tiles orthogonally, 6 tiles diagonally. Obviously, the map would be somewhat larger.

Alternately, go hexes. Everyone loves hexes.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 28, 2013, 03:19:15 am »

Waitlist. If there is such a thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 28, 2013, 04:50:06 am »

You don't need to put your skills, as they are now decided after teams are, so teams don't have three pilots and two engineers for example.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #461 on: July 28, 2013, 05:36:10 am »

PTW

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 28, 2013, 05:39:06 am »

IN IN IN IN IN

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #463 on: July 28, 2013, 09:48:31 am »

I leave for the day and the next thing I see is a bunch of people saying "In" for the next game, in the absense of any Piecewise's request for signups yet. Why would that happen?

Anyway, I think I'll sit this one out. But I'll still join the actual game, or the third test, if we need it.

Since the harpoons have a potential to be a cheap turning mechanism, what are the possibilities for latching harpoons on to terrain? And then we could detach the chain from the ship once it's served it's purpose.
Sure, I don't see why not. I'll just have write a rule for that, which is simple enough.

Would we be able to modify a harpoon to fire the other end separately so that we can tether ships to landforms or other ships?
I suppose you could attach the chain from one to the chain of another and fire the second one into a second target, effectively attaching them together.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 28, 2013, 09:55:26 am »

Sounds Fun. I wonder what the difficulty would be to modify a harpoon gun to be meant to do that by default...
*starts mentally sketching plans for a double-barreled harpoon gun*
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 55