Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do dwarf colors mean anything? (and buildings, items, e  (Read 722 times)

sofakng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do dwarf colors mean anything? (and buildings, items, e
« on: August 23, 2006, 08:58:00 am »

Do the colors in the this game mean anything?

For example, I have a Farmer dwarf who is brown but all of my other dwarves are white.

I also have some buildings (beds?) that are brown, but everything else seems to be white.

Sorry for all of my questions lately!  I wouldn't have to ask if a good manual existed  :(

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do dwarf colors mean anything? (and buildings, items, e
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 09:05:00 am »

Yes.  Dark blue is fisherdwarf, for example.  Brown if farmer.  Grey is mason.  

There's a handy list in the help section under tables and then something else.  (There's only three.)

Edit: Brown "things" are usually made of wood.  Other items are mostly light grey if made of "normal" stone, white if "light" stone, or black if "dark" stone.  Bushes are green when not snowed on.  Trees turn colors.  (Which gave me a real kick the first time I played a temperate map with a ton of maples - it was a beautiful sea of red and orange, which I had to chop down to feed the immigrant deluge.)

[ August 23, 2006: Message edited by: dav ]

sofakng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 09:07:00 am »

Do they change colors depending on their current job?   Because a fisher dwarf can also decide to start hauling ore or something, right?

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 09:24:00 am »

The color and title of a dwarf is determined by their highest skill, although it uses broad categories so each type of dwarf represents a bunch of different skills (a dwarf whose main skill is Grower will be a brown Farmer, but so will a dwarf whose main skill is Butcher or Brewer or Cook who doesn't have any growing skill at all.) If later one of their other skills gets higher, then their job title and color changes. So if you just switch a fisherdwarf over to mining they'll still show up as a fisherdwarf, but if you leave them like that long enough they'll eventually get enough mining skill to become a miner.