Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: Here lies Wagon: may he rest in peace  (Read 128863 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Here lies Wagon: may he rest in peace
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2013, 07:40:39 pm »

Sir, I STARTED the thread about wagons! Bow to me!
The wagon bandwagon continues.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2013, 07:50:14 pm »

This is the mac equivalent of DosBox in terms of retro gaming. It even supports network function.

Really? I thought DosBox was the mac equivalent of DosBox. Or better yet, just use Boxer.

Isn't English wonderful?

"The mac equivalent of dosbox", as in "like dosbox does for dos, Basillisk II with OS7.5.5 does for classic mac"--like dosbox, it runs basically everywhere. Unlike dosbox, it runs mac software and not dos software.

So, "the mac equivalent of dosbox" is a correct description. That it can be confused with "dosbox, on a mac!" Is just one of those lovely little ambiguities that makes the english language fun for everyone. If you want "dosbox on a mac!", just use dosbox! It has a native port. If you want to run classic mac 68k based software, then you should look at basilisk.  Its like dosbox, except for mac software. It emulates a full 68k based mac clone, including the network card, and scsi interface.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2013, 11:45:27 pm »

Well, I tried to run the Oregon Trail 2 cd through Linux - Wine, but it gets stuck in the installer.
We've had DOSBOX at work, but I've never tried it on Linux.

Oh well, at least I was able to roll on in here and trade a few wagon tongues. So I'm happy.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2013, 02:29:04 pm »

I would not what to mes with someone who steals oxen by lifting them up and walking away.

... come to think of it that guy must be HUGE.

This is the mac equivalent of DosBox in terms of retro gaming. It even supports network function.

Really? I thought DosBox was the mac equivalent of DosBox. Or better yet, just use Boxer.
That it can be confused with "dosbox, on a mac!" Is just one of those lovely little ambiguities that makes the english language fun for everyone.

given the amount of linguistics based lunacy in this thread I think it's safe to say FUN is better then fun in this case.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 02:32:41 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2013, 11:20:03 am »

Obviously he was a tall dwarf.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2013, 12:02:31 pm »

This is going to end up with wild wagons and someone modding them in as tamable creatures isn't it. At which point we will have swarms of wagons instead of bears or badgers.

....I'm just imagining this giant anaconda made of wooden death massacring everything on the map then stealing my crap now.
Actually, I already tried doing that. Ended up with a bunch of 1-tile big wagons, little red wagons, and war wagons wandering the location.

You'd be surprised at how heavy wagon leather is; yet their bones are astoundingly light; The meat, not as nutritious as I expected either. Then again, I experimented with an earlier version of DF doing so.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:12:16 pm by Itnetlolor »

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2013, 06:24:37 pm »

That face on the battering ram.

Oh sweet Lady Luck.
Cannot un-see.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2013, 07:14:00 pm »

Not a ram. That's the wagon tongue!

But, if that little figurehead was too scary, stay away from PiranhaMoose!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2013, 10:14:39 am »

I always thought wagons scuttled partially because there was no trade depot.  Their pathing is all about finding the trade depot, or the edge of the map.

Perhaps making wagons their own pullers with a trade depot on the map would work?

Oh and posting to watch science.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2013, 10:19:55 am »

I always thought wagons scuttled partially because there was no trade depot.  Their pathing is all about finding the trade depot, or the edge of the map.

Perhaps making wagons their own pullers with a trade depot on the map would work?

Oh and posting to watch science.

Nah, wagon scuttle happily if their haulers are killed, even with open access to depot and map edge over half of the map. I figure it's hard-coded to either never move, or only move when hauled by animals.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2013, 11:46:23 am »

Oh boy. Has anyone generated a dragonfire-breathing wagon FB yet?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2013, 01:28:08 pm »

More importantly: Does anyone have working raws for the Wagonmancer himself?

Oh and btw, if you make wagons pull and pack animals, you have a 3x3 equipment-wagon that is being pulled by 2 1-tile wagon creatures.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2013, 04:31:26 pm »

Does that mean it is theoretically possible to make vehicles with complex shapes (tanks and the like) by making a wagon pulling "tread" creature? Does killing one of the animals pulling the wagon scuttle it? both?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2013, 03:14:10 am »

WHY DID I NOT KNOW OF THIS THREAD??!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2013, 08:32:05 am »

Does that mean it is theoretically possible to make vehicles with complex shapes (tanks and the like) by making a wagon pulling "tread" creature? Does killing one of the animals pulling the wagon scuttle it? both?

TEST EEET
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19