Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: the Steam Trading Cards thread  (Read 12825 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: the Steam Trading Cards thread
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 09:57:24 pm »

Buy low sell high. Trading cards increase in value after they're no longer available. The massive amounts of cards makes Steam an interesting market. The best strategy to earn money is probably to hoard cheap cards during the summer sale and sell them a month or a year from now.

All things considered, you should probably craft all your game badges and none of the event badges. Game cards are always available, meaning they'll never go up in value; but crafting badges potentially nets you rare items. Those rare items will never be widespread on the market, so they can make some neat cash.

People will always be looking to complete their collections. The only thing stopping you will be reasonably-priced copies of your item on the market.

I was thinking the same thing.  I'm sure there will *always* be people looking to maximize their experience points, and at a certain point that means spending money on new games or on event cards.  I'm not actually purchasing them, but I'm definitely holding on to mine.

My friends and I have been trying to keep track of our "card money" from selling cards, and using only card money to purchase emoticons and cards we want.  It's an arbitrary distinction (and a bit difficult due to the sales) but it's kinda fun.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 10:08:43 pm »

If anyone has a double of a card I have a spare Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2 to trade.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 01:58:58 am »

-nevermind-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:31:03 am by Spaghetti7 »
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 03:42:18 am »

Do we think the trading market is going to recover after the Steam Sale? Not sure if I should save my cards until afterwards or sell them for 10 cents each now to get a better Doubloon frequency on Puzzle Pirates.

Also, what are the chances Puzzle Pirates will end up making trading cards? I'm sure it's negligible, but it'd be nice to use my card money to buy doubloons and then get more cards to sell for more doubloons!
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 04:23:43 am »

Do we think the trading market is going to recover after the Steam Sale? Not sure if I should save my cards until afterwards or sell them for 10 cents each now to get a better Doubloon frequency on Puzzle Pirates.

Also, what are the chances Puzzle Pirates will end up making trading cards? I'm sure it's negligible, but it'd be nice to use my card money to buy doubloons and then get more cards to sell for more doubloons!

I am pretty doubtful, unless the vast majority of Steam Games go into this card thing, that Puzzle Pirates will get it. It tends to be pretty separate from Steam, and none of the other Steam features are used in it. Plus, it is a free-to-play MMO, which kind of puts it in a special category, since I don't think any of those that aren't Valve-made are in the thing. But I do need to get back into that game, it's just...so great. Somebody bump up the old Y!PP thread.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 11:10:27 am »

This is pretty fun. And by pretty fun I mean pretty pointless, but slowly racking up free Steambucks is awesome. I'm almost to a dollar now. Maybe I'll have five bucks by the end of the week :P

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 12:19:37 pm »

Plus, it is a free-to-play MMO, which kind of puts it in a special category, since I don't think any of those that aren't Valve-made are in the thing. But I do need to get back into that game, it's just...so great. Somebody bump up the old Y!PP thread.

What I've been told is that F2P MMOs give you steam cards for making in-game purchases. We can only hope PP eventually comes back and does it. Though I guess we can expect it to collapse in on itself before it does.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 01:02:40 pm »

Well okay. Could someone explain the cards to me? I have about 20 or so.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 01:16:42 pm »

I have $3.84 from cards. I want to get to $5 before the last day of the sale so I can get a cheap game for free =D

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 01:19:21 pm »

Well okay. Could someone explain the cards to me? I have about 20 or so.

You give them to me and I declare you the winner of the internet!

Seriously, you get them from playing games that are participating, buying games, voting in the daily flash sales thing and making in-game microtransactions. You can sell each card by selecting the sale price and waiting for a buyer. There is a tracking tool built in so you can see what it's currently selling for.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 01:20:11 pm »

http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/

Basically, there are two kinds currently: game cards and Summer Sale cards.

For participating games, you earn about half of the total cards just by playing. Say a game has 8 cards; you'll get four card drops by spending a couple of hours in the game. These drops are completely random, though, so they could all be the same card. You can craft a game badge using one of every card for the game.

Summer Sale cards are earned for every $10 spent during the sale and for every 3 votes toward community choice sales. The badge is crafted the same way.

When a badge is crafted, you get Steam experience. You get profile backgrounds, coupons, and/or emoticons. Except during this summer sale, you get a summer sale card instead of a coupon.
And you can craft each badge as many times as you want, still getting the rewards.

And apparently booster packs are given out randomly, with your chance of getting one increasing with your Steam level. They contain 3 cards for a game you've gotten all of your drops for.

And foil cards are another set entirely for each game/sale. The badges net the same experience; I don't know if they have better rewards or not.

You can put your cards up for sale on the Steam Marketplace, like many other items. You can also buy cards there.

F2P games grant you one card drop per $9 you spend in-game.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 01:57:20 pm »

Plus, it is a free-to-play MMO, which kind of puts it in a special category, since I don't think any of those that aren't Valve-made are in the thing. But I do need to get back into that game, it's just...so great. Somebody bump up the old Y!PP thread.

What I've been told is that F2P MMOs give you steam cards for making in-game purchases. We can only hope PP eventually comes back and does it. Though I guess we can expect it to collapse in on itself before it does.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 03:19:09 pm »

This is pretty fun. And by pretty fun I mean pretty pointless, but slowly racking up free Steambucks is awesome. I'm almost to a dollar now. Maybe I'll have five bucks by the end of the week :P
oh i know how you feel, and with summer sales, i've bought like 5 games off of selling trading cards

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 10:41:58 pm »

Any one have a Wendy from Don't Starve that they are willing to trade for a crummy ASCII dwarf? Here's half up front:

Code: [Select]
  ]
  ] 0
  11 U

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 10:43:54 pm »

Nope, sorry, just a bunch of Willows.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8