Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Path to Power OOC Thread  (Read 4252 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Path to Power OOC Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 07:24:53 pm »

Name: Streic

Skills: Swordfighting 3, Stealth 2, Animal handling 1

Equipment
  • Greatsword
  • Dagger
  • Leather Armor
  • Short bow and arrows
  • Horse
  • Travel rations and equipment
  • Some amount of local currency

Description
Streic has brown eyes and short cut brown hair. He has a olive complexion and he stands at a little over six feet tall and. He is wearing a suit of leather armor and has a well cared for Greatsword strapped to his back. He tends to have a frown on his face, especially when meeting new people. He has a strong believe in personal power and believes that the strong in the world have a right to rule over the weak, and the weak have a right to bow to the strong or to die. Despite that, he is a strong believer in freewill and self determination and feels that people should at least be able to attempt to be strong. He sometimes takes enjoyment from killing, but lately has been questioning the morality of it, especially with the death of someone who, well not exactly was a friend, was at least the closest he has ever had. Certainly killing the totally helpless without at least giving them some other option is against his moral code.

Backstory

The backstory is quite a bit too long. Here are the important parts:

Born in Selahrin. He was enslaved at a young age. As a slave he worked varying jobs, including being a stable boy. Eventually he became a gladiator. He did okay at being a gladiator and eventually made 'friends' with a young noble man who ended up purchasing him. The noble man eventually went a trip with Streic to establish a merchant caravan, and Streic was going to try to escape during the trip. Early in the trip they were attacked by bandits and the nobleman wanted to turn around. Panicking that his freedom would never come about Streic killed him and the remains of the caravan. He then fled and is now trying to make his way in the world as a free man.

Additionally, the places involved may need to be changed. For instance, instead of the Acasi Empire and Laenaren, any slave owning place with a less harsh neighbor could be used. And instead of a mountain and mountain bandits anything like that could be used. In particular I was thinking maybe Hebbek and a desert could be used. And if he escaped to say, Nahkarvan or Vilerii he could then head north and across the straight to Acasi put distance between himself and Hebbek with the happy coincidence of landing him right next to Kyle Johnson.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Excellent character! And the adaptable backstory is great.

Where is Hebbek in relation to the other counties on your map? I am almost done with my backstory. And it sounds like it could be useful depending on geographical location.

Hebbek is somewhere on the southern border of the Taveric Sea. It's not on the map because that map was from before Hebbek was added to the world.

Name: Onell from Daros

Skills:
Light mage 3 (the manipulation of direct sunlight for several things, like: blinding, causing sunburns), Lucky survivor 2, Inventive (bonus to crafting things) 1

Equipment:
Makeshift oak staff (the original was stolen from him)
10 Blank scrolls

Description
Onell has shoulder lenght brown hair, hazel eyes, thick eyebrowns and an average build. He feels a stronge urge to do what he considers morally right and truly believes that there is goodness to be found inside everyone. He is an ardent worshipper of the gods of light and the sun.

Backstory
Onell is a member of a small monastery high in the Daros mountains. It was there, where he was schooled in the art of light manipulation since young age, as the elders saw great potential in him. Onell has never known the outside world until a few weeks ago, when he was chosen to go in a pilgrimage to The Great Temple of Naros so that he might retrieve a piece of  bark from the tree of providence. Task he would have already completed if his ceremonial instruments hadnt been robbed in the wilderness of Laeranel.   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your character is good. We're almost ready to start. Remember that, while being a monk from an isolated monastery is a valid start for a mage, most people are going to be freaked out if you flaunt your magic.

Ninja'd by Cript: Yeah, that map is pretty much what I was thinking for Hebbek. All the location descriptions are pretty vague, so we'll go with your map as the currently accepted layout of the world.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 07:41:25 pm »

I switched my backstory around to fit with that map then, which means my vote for the starting area is in Naros.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 02:50:15 pm »

The game's begun! You can post character actions now, and anybody who wants to join can still hop in.

Regarding backstories: I want to reward people who put thought and effort into their backstories. As such, I'm awarding Criptfeind either two extra minor skills or one extra moderate skill retroactively; Flameboy also gets one extra minor skill. If anybody wants to add detail to their backstory, you can update them and I'll give you skills depending on the detail put into them.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 02:57:18 pm »

I've put in my minor skill.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 03:03:47 pm »

Looks interesting.

Are we allowed to be of other races or do we have to be humans?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 03:30:51 pm »

Spoiler: app (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:18:00 pm by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 05:26:49 pm »

I've put in my minor skill.

Duly noted. I'll update your character sheet in the main thread.

Looks interesting.

Are we allowed to be of other races or do we have to be humans?

So far, humans are the only established race. If there are others (which is entirely possible), I would ask that you keep them fairly mundane. For example, if we consider elves (pretty much the standard fantasy race), we would have them not live hundreds of years, not be inhumanly beautiful, and not be generally more awesome than humans. Think the difference between LotR elves and Dragon Age elves.

(IMHO, it'd be cool to have some unique races that actually fit in the setting as opposed to cribbing generic ones off of other settings.)

Spoiler: app (click to show/hide)

Looks good. If you elaborate on the backstory more, you can get extra skills.

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 06:00:54 pm »

Fleshed out the description a little bit more, and added the to the list my stolen equipment. :)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 01:19:46 am »

Spoiler:  My App (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:35:35 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 07:33:32 am »

Backstory fleshed out a bit, with a bit of a goal, albeit a rather ambiguous one.

On a side note, are these characters all going to be added to the WBP?
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 12:31:54 pm »

Sorry about that, my internet committed suicide. I could only connect for very short periods of time, not really long enough to make a a thoughtful post.

I was thinking I would add the extra points into Riding +1 and Survival +1? I'm not sure how granulated you want skills to be. If it needs to be more specific then Survival (Deserts) +1

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 01:21:26 pm »

Fleshed out the description a little bit more, and added the to the list my stolen equipment. :)

Here, have an extra minor skill.

Spoiler:  My App (click to show/hide)

Excellent character. You're in, and you get either an extra moderate skill or two extra minor skills, since your character also contributes significantly to the worldbuilding aspect of the game.

Backstory fleshed out a bit, with a bit of a goal, albeit a rather ambiguous one.

On a side note, are these characters all going to be added to the WBP?

Have an extra minor skill. You may want to reread your backstory and clean it up a little; it's a bit confusing near the end.

And it depends. If your character lasts for a while, probably, yeah. If nothing else, background fluff will be added to the Project (like Iaman's character's backstory).

Sorry about that, my internet committed suicide. I could only connect for very short periods of time, not really long enough to make a a thoughtful post.

I was thinking I would add the extra points into Riding +1 and Survival +1? I'm not sure how granulated you want skills to be. If it needs to be more specific then Survival (Deserts) +1

I'll update those skills on your character sheet. Don't worry about specifying with Survival; we'll just count it all as one skill.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 01:36:32 pm »

Added Pollux' new skills to his sheet, and retconned his skills back into his backstory.

Also, do I have to wait to be introduced into the story or can I jump right in?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:56:43 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 02:06:08 pm »

Added Pollux' new skills to his sheet, and retconned his skills back into his backstory.

Also, do I have to wait to be introduced into the story or can I jump right in?

I'm almost done with the next update, which includes your character's introduction and location.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 02:10:40 pm »

Added the minor skill, hopefully made the backstory a tad clearer.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:18:21 pm by sjm9876 »

Sigtext
Pages: 1 [2] 3