Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 198

Author Topic: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Oh well.]  (Read 394253 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Farmville]
« Reply #1350 on: August 25, 2013, 05:06:25 pm »

they just got strenght, and, no matter how strong you are, you cant really beat anyone who has powerful enough magic, and half brain

((Every RPG with a warrior character/path, which is a huge majority of them, disproves your point.

And now you assume Mako Man is stupid? Why? Mako Man graduated from the top of his college Class, Majoring in Awesome Wrestling, and minoring in Biochemistry. So far, Alish hasn't done anything to make herself seem particularly bright in any way.))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1351 on: August 25, 2013, 05:14:29 pm »

I sure will like to argue with your soul once i consume it.
You find yourself in a room.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: August 25, 2013, 05:17:32 pm »

Also, NO ONE GET NEAR BFEL! HE COULD EXPLODE IN ANY MOMENT! WE DONT KNOW WHAT KIND OF POWERS MAY BE INSIDE THAT LITTLE CLOUD OVER HIS RIGHT SHOULDER! Its not Nodi thus i guess that its activation will take over a turn... Hes literally a walking unpredictable time bomb.

Hehe, I like that I did one thing and immediately became feared.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1353 on: August 25, 2013, 05:41:55 pm »

Also, NO ONE GET NEAR BFEL! HE COULD EXPLODE IN ANY MOMENT! WE DONT KNOW WHAT KIND OF POWERS MAY BE INSIDE THAT LITTLE CLOUD OVER HIS RIGHT SHOULDER! Its not Nodi thus i guess that its activation will take over a turn... Hes literally a walking unpredictable time bomb.

If our fears become true, you will be dead within a few turns.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: August 25, 2013, 05:51:27 pm »

Considering the pages where the words come from, I really don't know if something bad is going to happen, actually. I see a tool/uncommon weapon word, some metamagical words (those that affect the spell, not the contents of it, like delays), some shapes, and a bunch of stuff that we presume are going to be some kind of modifiers without any physical effect without an specific target or material. I don't think that he is going to die, just that something weird may happen, or absolutely nothing that a human could feel would happen.

Still, I'm just speculating on the nature of some pages.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: August 25, 2013, 09:20:08 pm »

Don't forget that your pool refilled since you're not in combat, so you can cast again if you wish.

Speaking of pool, I was thinking about this game on the Porcelain Throne and decided that the current pool mechanic is a bit confusing.  So, with a bit of a nod to Angle, here's a theoretical change:

Pool is no more.  Channeling limits the maximum number of words you can use in a single spell.  Max two spells per turn out of combat, one spell in combat.

Thoughts?  Opinions?  I won't change anytime soon unless there's overwhelming support.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: August 25, 2013, 09:21:23 pm »

Either way, just let us know.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: August 25, 2013, 09:32:35 pm »

So what you're saying is:

2 spells per turn, and chenneling=How manyw ords you can say. Sounds alright.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: August 25, 2013, 09:33:38 pm »

But.

But I likes being able to say five spells per turn.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1359 on: August 25, 2013, 09:42:13 pm »

I don't think pool is confusing, I just don't like the way it balances the game. With my Contamination mechanic, you can use as many words as you like - but there are risks, especially if you don't have good channeling. This means that complicated magic, which is the most interesting, isn't limited to a few select people in the late game, but is instead available to everyone from the beginning, while still putting some limits on magic. It also changes things from being a hard cap on how much magic you can do, to being a soft cap depending on how much you're willing to push you're luck.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: August 25, 2013, 10:11:20 pm »

Pool is no more.  Channeling limits the maximum number of words you can use in a single spell.  Max two spells per turn out of combat, one spell in combat.

Thoughts?  Opinions?  I won't change anytime soon unless there's overwhelming support.
((The thing to keep in mind, is that one of the features of Perplexicon is that more complex words "cost" more to cast than simple short ones. And that's a huge thing, players have to make strategies by counting the words, choosing the best ones, combining short ones and the long ones, et cetera.

It also makes more sense that somebody who's spent a lot of time in combat and is exchausted can no longer make complex words, and has to resort to simpler ones. I believe that it helps the feeling that prolonged combat is supposed to envoke, and also encourages the players to seek periods of rest in between constant fighting. This can also come into play if a powerful players has been exchausted, and is now trying "recharge," while the lot of weaker players are trying to prevent him from doing so.

If you take away that system, you take all of that away. And I don't think that's a good thing. You're changing the barrier between the long and short words from a gradual one to a hard line. There isn't any reason now to use three word words when you can afford four. You're taking away any changes in combat and necessary strategies as it goes on, removing the need for the players to plan ahead. Now all combat rounds look exactly the same, which isn't a good thing.

And finally, I do think that one spell per round in combat is way too harsh of a restriction. A powerfull wizard should be able to blast away many spells at the same time if he's in a hurry and there's one annoying midget standing before him. As for two spells when not in combat, that too is also too harsh, the people here are used to three or four. And for both combat and non-combat, I think that unfortunately, there is no ideal number to allow people.

However, with regards to the pool being confusing. I do believe that there are some things you could change. First of all, when you gain a soul, you can add a point to any of your stats OR your pool. That (at least to someone who hasn't played the game) is confusing and unnecessary. If chanelling equals the number of words you can say, why say that you are adding points to pool? Is there a difference between adding them to the pool and adding them to the channeling? Just say that you are adding them to chanelling, remove the wording that says you can add them to the pool, and that will make it less confusing. In other words, make the stats and the pool completely separate in the mind of the user.

Secondly, there is this system of overdrive. Of using the pool to temporarily boost their stats. While I believe that this is a good idea, I don't think it's been presented especially well. I am not sure, but I think most people are forgetting to use it (that's one thing where I may be wrong). That is because this isn't exactly well advertized, as in neither Toaster neither anyone else is frequently reminding people of this possibility. And it is not the thing that people would exactly expect to see or understand unless they read the entire thread. Either scrap the system, better remind people that they can use it, (at the end of each post, at the beginning of each fight) or only allow it to people with... say 6+ pool. In other words, when a person gains 6 or more pool, you will tell them that they can use this system. Because that person will likely have been playing for a while, they will more likely remember to use it, and they won't have to absord the knowledge of this system at the same time as all the stuff they have to learn when creating a character.

And finally, I do believe that most of the confusion was when the people exited combat and didn't know that their pool was empty. If you simply decrease the number of turns they have to wait before having their pool recharged by one, a lot of the confusion will go away. And it will also make the game more fast-paced. Not sure if that is a good thing or not, but it will deal with the confusion. Alternatively, have the pool recharge by "n" (I think 4 is a good number) amount each turn out of cambat. If instead of waiting for their entire pool to recharge instantly at a specific turn, the players will simply rechange some amount every turn, it might help.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1361 on: August 26, 2013, 01:25:02 am »

Pox, you should read the rules once again, half of what you said makes no sense at all.
And i use the tertiary actions (OFD).

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: August 26, 2013, 01:27:59 am »

Pox, you should read the rules once again, half of what you said makes no sense at all.
As long as the other half is sound...

Also, I don't know what tertiary actions are.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1363 on: August 26, 2013, 02:46:01 am »

As long as the other half is sound...

Also, I don't know what tertiary actions are.
Overdrive, Focus, Dodge.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:48:09 am by Sarzael »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: August 26, 2013, 06:28:36 am »

Being fully awake, I realize that having a high Channeling would mean much less.

I am now opposed to the rule change, for SCIENCE MAN!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 198