Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 198

Author Topic: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Oh well.]  (Read 393873 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Half of You Have Injured Left Legs]
« Reply #2460 on: October 15, 2013, 08:19:19 am »

I'd rather keep spells as they are the way they are, and also add an "Enchant" word. "Enchant Hover" might make something you are touching hover. "Enchant Fire" might make a flaming sword. Stuff like that.
What if that word already existed?
Then why do we need a whole new system?

By the way...what is the chance of us being able to make (say) an anvil, some wood, some floating steel, and a hammer, then making a floaty suit of armor from that?
((quite high if you also have the requisite solid fire, bucket of water and adequate strength and dexterity.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: October 15, 2013, 11:31:44 am »

Well, if you can rip your shirt into a bandage, I don't see a problem with forging hoverswords from hoversteel.

I may have been not entirely clear- this was not about changing the mechanics of making enchanted items, but more about "Repair Flesh" going from being mostly useless to being a heal spell, and changes of that nature.  If it's unpopular, we can drop it and go on as we are.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: October 15, 2013, 11:37:43 am »

So, verb words? I'm fine with that.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: October 15, 2013, 12:00:39 pm »

((If you say, repair flesh, in this old system, wouldn't it repair some flesh? Or create flesh that repairs stuff? I don't see anything wrong with the current system))

((Warning to all players: I'm going to do potentially dangerous magic stuff in the spike room next turn, so stay away. Seriously, you saw that 8))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: October 15, 2013, 12:46:21 pm »

((If you say, repair flesh, in this old system, wouldn't it repair some flesh? Or create flesh that repairs stuff? I don't see anything wrong with the current system))

It'd create a lump of flesh that may repair flesh if you hit it.  The issue is how vague it becomes.

On the other hand, if you said "flesh repair staff" then you would get- under either system- a staff that could repair flesh it smacked.

EDIT:  The lack of a form is really the key issue.  Giving the element a form solidifies the magic that exists.  Without it, it's kind of lame.  Giving someone a flesh control... lump because they said "flesh control" isn't something I really want to do.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:48:04 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: October 15, 2013, 12:51:58 pm »

It'd create a lump of flesh that may repair flesh if you hit it.  The issue is how vague it becomes.

On the other hand, if you said "flesh repair staff" then you would get- under either system- a staff that could repair flesh it smacked.

EDIT:  The lack of a form is really the key issue.  Giving the element a form solidifies the magic that exists.  Without it, it's kind of lame.  Giving someone a flesh control... lump because they said "flesh control" isn't something I really want to do.
So, it would be mainly a matter of "coolness"? We will eventually find a way to make anything cool.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: October 15, 2013, 02:07:08 pm »

Toaster: One thing to consider is a bit of grammar sprinkled into the magic.

Not every word needs to be an adjective. Verbs might take a little thought to implement correctly ("Repair? What is being repaired?"), but it would probably be worth it. I believe Experiments In Magic has a few verbs, you could (probably) take some inspiration from that.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #2467 on: October 15, 2013, 02:08:08 pm »

I think that all should be order, even if its not to much sense making.
IE: Flesh Repair: Flesh THAT Repairs.
     Repair Flesh: Flesh GETS repaired.
... Or just make concepts not working under mixed with certain words.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: October 15, 2013, 03:14:36 pm »

I'm curious as to how you interpret multiple materials in a single item.

Like, let's say you had Steel Wood Sword. Theoretically, you'd get a sword made equally of the two materials, but you had been aiming for a wooden hilt and a steel edge. Of course, it has no in-game value... which is kind of sad, I'd like to see a trader or something that gives value to such a thing, and "thinking" the result is the fix, but... IDK. I just think there should be a way to clarify that. Because, there's so many ways to imply a Wood/Steel Sword.

And it's even worse with ranged things. Does the gun fire wood bullets from a steel frame?

Argh.
---

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #2469 on: October 15, 2013, 03:16:36 pm »

Like, let's say you had Steel Wood Sword. Theoretically, you'd get a sword made equally of the two materials, but you had been aiming for a wooden hilt and a steel edge. Of course, it has no in-game value... which is kind of sad, I'd like to see a trader or something that gives value to such a thing, and "thinking" the result is the fix, but... IDK. I just think there should be a way to clarify that. Because, there's so many ways to imply a Wood/Steel Sword.

And it's even worse with ranged things. Does the gun fire wood bullets from a steel frame?

Argh.
---

Toaster said he usually goes for the ´´logical`` combinations, so if you make a Steel Wood Sword its more likely to have wood hilt and steel blade, but it also has to do with syntax and order and stuff.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: October 15, 2013, 03:25:30 pm »

What if I wanted to create something... alive? Ish?

Would it be possible for me to make a parasitic plant that takes over other life-forms, similar to Cordyceps, with the current vocabulary?
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: October 15, 2013, 06:52:51 pm »

Oh god keep moving away from the bad dwarf oh god oh please door
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: October 15, 2013, 08:03:00 pm »

I'm experimenting with "smart" combinations (especially with 5s on pot rolls) of elements for multi-element creations. 

Some things are harder to interpret, like Derm and his quad-force full body form.

What if I wanted to create something... alive? Ish?

[Pot:5+1]  A large chunk of obsidian appears, supported by two smaller obsidian pillars.  You're about to reach out and test with it when the pillars start moving, and the obsidian chunk walks off.  It gets about ten feet and steps into the pit.

Welp.

Like that?

Would it be possible for me to make a parasitic plant that takes over other life-forms, similar to Cordyceps, with the current vocabulary?

Hmmmmm... really, not sure.  You may be able to surprise me, though.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: October 15, 2013, 08:05:34 pm »

I'm thinking something like

Plant Control Flesh ((Some sort of mind word)) ((some sort of modifier meaning large or growth)) sentinent....

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #2474 on: October 16, 2013, 01:05:06 am »

I'm thinking something like

Plant Control Flesh ((Some sort of mind word)) ((some sort of modifier meaning large or growth)) sentinent....
The *mind* word would be Thought... And why would you want that?
Also correct syntax would be: Sentient Large Magic Plant Control Flesh.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:47:37 am by Sarzael »
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 198