Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I kill caged enemies for train?  (Read 1657 times)

sheykon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can I kill caged enemies for train?
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:48:04 am »

Hi! I've some goblins in caged from the last siege, and I'd like chain them in some wall for diversion of my Marksdwarves, at first I don't know how put them out from the cage. Someone can tell me how can I do that :)

Thanks!!

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I kill caged enemies for train?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:48:23 am »

Safest way is to build the cage, connect it to a lever, and then pull the lever. If you're doing it for marksdwarf training, you can seal the room so that there's no access to the cage area and fortifications are the only way to see in and then pull the lever, and the enemy will have nowhere to go. Make sure you dump any ranged weapons your prisoners have first.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:51:27 am »

to dump the weapons and such, use first d-b-c to claim all the stuff, goblin gear is forbidden by default, then d-b-d, either when the cage is built or in the stockpile, then use t (built) or k (stockpile) to remove the dump order on the cage. If you want to dump only part of the equipment, you have to look into the contents of the cage, then into the goblin inventory and select stuff from there, which is a bother. You can also look through the stocks menu for the items the goblin is carrying and do it all through there, which is even more of a bother if you have a lot of gear. Last time it didn't work for me it was because I forgot to make a garbage zone with i-g (was it g?), so don't forget.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

sheykon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 12:22:20 pm »

but, how can I move the Caged goblin from the animal stockpile until the Shoot area for my Marksdwarves?

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 12:39:54 pm »

Either build the cages (b-j I think) and link them to a lever which will dismantle the cages and release the contents when pulled, or situate your animal stockpile around floor hatches that drop into your execution area, designate the animal stockpile as a pit zone, and pit all the prisoners (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Mass_pitting).

Personally I think mass pitting is easier once you've got everything setup. The build method requires scrolling through your cage list to find the ones of interest then linking a lever to all of them. Plus optionally deconstructing the lever afterwards to reclaim all the mechanisms. Once a mass pitting room is built and all the filled cages dragged to the stockpile, it just takes a quick run through the pit menu to select all the prisoners and let the dwarves drop them into your fortification-lined execution room.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 02:51:33 pm »

you can build one empty cage (expand cage list with x), then move all the goblins there. I've heard of them escaping during transport, but never had that myself.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.