Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Battletrials - Wayward Warriors (Community)  (Read 27538 times)

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battletrials - Wayward Warriors (Community)
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2013, 05:57:22 am »

Awww.  It would have been such an "Oh Crap" moment if they had a demon. 

Do you have any plan to deal with this even larger army?

I agree, but upon closer inspection I think this particular goblin has no issue dealing with dwarven civs:

Plan? They have brought an awful lot of ranged units so riding out to meet them may be suicide. There are now about 4-5 trolls and these are all streaming towards the fortress rather than just sitting on the edges.

Am going to try to draw them right to the fortress gates, catch as many as I can in the cages especially those ranged units. I would rather fight them in the fortress, especially given how many speardwarf troops I have.

Do you have any suggestions?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2013, 06:03:31 am »

Are the goblins really standing completely still?  If they are, you can dig underneath them, and maybe I dunno, collapse the tunnel. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2013, 06:26:22 am »

Are the goblins really standing completely still?  If they are, you can dig underneath them, and maybe I dunno, collapse the tunnel. 

Not a bad idea actually... but they were moving towards the fortress the last time the game was unpaused so may not be needed this time,

Speaking of which... time to do this thing. *unpauses game*

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2013, 07:40:11 am »

So Dwarf Fortress decided to crash... sigh.

Re-loading in the middle of the first siege. Seriously hoping everything happens as it does above.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2013, 07:56:23 pm »

Your CPU was probably like, "Dwarven pathfinding has been killing me... Now I will kill them! Bwahahahaha!"

The lawgiver coming is quite awesome. They saw you as such a great that they had to send the leader of their civilization against you. Impressive. If you capture the Atu, if he comes again, an epic execution must be thought up for him.

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2013, 11:18:55 pm »

Your CPU was probably like, "Dwarven pathfinding has been killing me... Now I will kill them! Bwahahahaha!"

The lawgiver coming is quite awesome. They saw you as such a great that they had to send the leader of their civilization against you. Impressive. If you capture the Atu, if he comes again, an epic execution must be thought up for him.

Luckily, events happened almost exactly the same the second time around, just different composition of forces.

Will put up an update tonight showing the changes as well as the next part of this increasingly-absurd tale.

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2013, 06:18:52 am »

So, this is all that changed between the first attemped playthrough and the second one which went through fine:

1) The Minotaur child became an adult:

The outcome was still the same as it spawned near a mass of goblins who tore it to shreds.

2) The second siege still arrived, complete with Atu the law-giver. However, arguably, the composition of forces was even more brutal the 2nd time around:

Mull on that one, update to come soon. :)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2013, 02:20:38 pm »

Well. Is it blaze of glory time yet? Or are we turtling?
And your right about brutal force composition. An elite bowman and crossbowman? That's just uncalled for. And what weapon does Atu use?
I'll be away for the next week, so I won't be able to give any more suggestions.

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2013, 07:01:47 pm »

Act 1 - First Contact

Atu, atop her giant swallow mount, soared over the desert dunes surrounding Battletrials as her Weapon Lord commanders started to move their squads into position.

The squads of goblin swordsmen and spearmen set up a staging area just beneath the fortress main gates. The trolls who had joined them set off towards the gates, snarling and stamping the ground with every step, making the mountain shudder.

Atu ordered the another squad to swing around from the east and approach the fortress across the plains. However this brought them into contact with the eastern cage traps. Despite losing several troops to the cages, the Axe Lord continued driving the remaining soldiers towards the main gates.

Jester and Hatchy peered out through the main gates, noting the success of the eastern cage traps. They looked to the north and saw the trolls approaching at a rapid pace.

Hatchy slapped Jester on the back. "This is it, boss," she said. "You should get back into the main part of the fortress. You're still no good to us as a cripple, and we may need reinforcements if they break through."

Jester opened his mouth to argue, but Hatchy shook her head and glared at him. "Don't argue with me, old friend. We will hold the line. You keep the civilians safe."

Jester nodded begrudgingly. "Alright. Just... be safe."

"No promises," Hatchy said, winking at Jester, before turning around and bellowing at the melee and crossbow dwarves, ordering them into position as they started to feel the heavy footsteps of the approaching trolls.

The trolls were joined by a whole mass of goblin troops. They gathered outside the main gates, roaring as the trolls started to bash their mighty fists against the fortress doors.

The dwarves, standing ready within the main corridor, could only tighten their grips on their weapons and watch the dust from the ceiling fall to the floor as the mountain shook over and over.

The trolls and goblins outside got too close to the cage traps positioned at the main entrance. Several goblins were swallowed up by the cages, which withdrew underground again. The troops were undeterred, with more trolls moving forward to take their place.

Hatchy ordered one of the squads closer to the door, with Crusoe's marksdwarf squad taking up position on the edges of the corridor. They watched as the granite doors cracked, rock splinters falling to the ground. The doors finally gave way. On the other side, the trolls and goblins started charging into the fortress. Dwarves rushed out to meet them. Weapons and bodies clashed with a loud clang as the battle was joined.

As Nish fired bolt after bolt down the corridor at the onrushing goblins, Monom the axedwarf was beset by goblins, their weapons smashing into the dwarf's body. Monom struggled to breathe as his ribs shattered under the force of their weapons.

Mistem was surrounded by several goblins and a troll from the outset. He managed to take one of the hammer goblins out of the fight by rendering its right hand useless...

... before the dwarf was knocked off its feet by a charging troll.

Mistem roared in pain and struggled to fight back but the troll toyed with the dwarf, shattering bone after bone in his body with its muscular arms.

Hatchy's jaw dropped as she saw the sheer ferocity and numbers of the goblin assault. She raised her sword, roared and charged forward, the rest of the melee dwarves right behind her.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:05:11 pm by HectorX »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2013, 04:12:51 am »

Crap.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2013, 05:14:44 am »

Act 2 - Evening the odds

Crusoe watched as the melee dwarves charged into combat. Mistim was being contorted like a pretzel as other gladiators tried in vain to rescue their comrade and simultaneously hold back the onrushing horde of goblins. Some, like Kol the Macedwarf, didn't even get a chance to land a blow on the enemy.

Crusoe saw all this, decided the most important thing would be to take out the trolls. He raised his crossbow, picking one of them out as his victim.

He let loose with a bolt. The wooden projectile hurtled through the air as the troll, unluckily, turned its head at the last second. The bolt plunged into the troll's thick skull, tearing through its brain. It groaned once and sunk to the floor, dead.

Crusoe grinned, reloaded and shot a second bolt at another troll, watching it roar in pain as the bolt struck its midsection.

The trolls hesitated slightly, looking up into the distance as the marksdwarves started to target them en masse. This gave the melee dwarves enough time to start making their mark.

Maverick and Rakust, a Hammerdwarf and Swordsdwarf respectively, charged into the fray, taking on a troll each.

Rakust decided the best way to approach the situation was to go for the head. She slapped the blade of her sword against the head of her target troll. The troll, caught completely off-guard, cried out in pain as it felt its skull shattering under the force of the blow. With blood in its eyes it could only throw out its arms in vain as Rakust raised her arm and plunged her sword squarely into the head of the troll.

She jumped up into the air, swinging her sword through the air at the troll's head. It neatly sliced in half, brains and blood flying everywhere, coating all combatants with a blue goo.

The dwarves all cheered as one and, inspired by Rakust's nearly-effortless kill, increased the ferocity of their attacks.

Maverick watched as one of the hammer goblins was struck twice by flying bolts from Crusoe's squad.

The goblin, groaning in pain, dropped its hammer and shield before slumping against the corridor wall. The Hammerdwarf ran up to to the goblin and gave him a savage right hook, his fist slamming squarely into the goblin's jaw, dropping him to the floor.

Tulon the macedwarf was also in the thick of things. Wielding an unfamiliar copper battle axe she still managed to be devastatingly effective with it. She glared at Maverick, who had stolen her kill.

Luckily for her there were plenty of other hammer goblins remaining. She decided to take out her frustration on one of them, her battle axe slicing into the unlucky goblin soldier.

After several more vicious attacks, the goblin was reduced to a blood-soaked pulp. Tulon roared, raised her battle axe and slashed it at the head of the goblin. Its face was reduced to a bloody mess as the axe carved into its skull, killing it instantly.

Tulon heard a grunting behind her, turned and saw a troll towering over here getting ready to strike. She raised her hammer, jumped and brought it down hard on the troll's head. It sliced into the troll's head, scraping along the skull. Tulon hit the ground, turned and continued her frenzied assault.

Another heroic dwarf, Reg the Speardwarf, was more than holding his own against the goblin tide. He toyed with a hammer goblin, stabbing the soldier repeatedly in the torso as it struggled to block Reg's accurate blows.

Reg managed to pin the goblin against the wall and cripple it by stabbing its foot. The goblin, wheezing and bleeding profusely from its many injuries could not stop Reg from stabbing him in the head with his iron spear. The goblin welcomed death with open arms.

The Goblin Mace Lord had been watching its troops falling under the sustained dwarven assault. He frowned. The troll force had been nearly wiped out by cage traps and combat, while the hammer goblins weren't faring much better. Roaring and waving his arms, he ordered the hammer goblins to withdraw.

The goblin soldiers turned and fled for their lives, with the sole surviving troll taking off towards the west. Some of the dwarves followed in hot pursuit, chasing the goblins towards the east as the bulk of the dwarven soldiers carried their dead and wounded back into the fortress. They knew their respite would be brief but for now, they had weathered the first wave, albiet with some losses.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:17:48 am by HectorX »

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2013, 09:44:11 am »

Yay!

By the way, is there anything other than the troll on Crusoe's kill list, or is the Troll my first kill?

Oh, and I'd like to go back into the arena sometime, with the prize for winning being a handsome steel crossbow (preferably plain, no embellishments, but good quality, of course). Or after completing whatever requirements for a prize.

Maybe each match would result in a small reward, i.e. armor sets awarded piece by piece match by match; the dwarves would work their way up from the clothes on their back to leather to copper to bronze to iron to steel and maybe even Adamantium goodies. (although personally I want Crusoe to stick with steel)

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2013, 05:55:47 pm »

Yay!

By the way, is there anything other than the troll on Crusoe's kill list, or is the Troll my first kill?

Will certainly find out for you... I remember seeing two kills on there but was not sure if they were in different years. :)

Oh, and I'd like to go back into the arena sometime, with the prize for winning being a handsome steel crossbow (preferably plain, no embellishments, but good quality, of course). Or after completing whatever requirements for a prize.

Maybe each match would result in a small reward, i.e. armor sets awarded piece by piece match by match; the dwarves would work their way up from the clothes on their back to leather to copper to bronze to iron to steel and maybe even Adamantium goodies. (although personally I want Crusoe to stick with steel)

This was certainly my plan, in fact earlier on in the fort I had several steel weapons forged to be gifted to the winners.

Of course, as with all plans in Dwarf Fortress, they tend to be interrupted by goblin sieges and tantrum spirals. So if we/you live through this, we will have more than enough arena victims to start that up again. :)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2013, 05:24:53 pm »

Wait... "Atu Leakedprofane the Breach of Pregnancy"?!?!?

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2013, 06:39:22 pm »

Wait... "Atu Leakedprofane the Breach of Pregnancy"?!?!?

Imagery! :)

Also apologies to everyone, work has swamped me. I am going to try and do one today at work (uploaded my screencaps in a rare display of foresight) otherwise it will definitely come tomorrow.

I haven't died or lost interest though, so don't fret. :)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13